3 stupid questions for a Thursday morning.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

3 stupid questions for a Thursday morning.

Post by knightintosh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am

Ok, I think the subject line covers this so I'll get straight into the questions 8)

1.) I can buy games from anywhere in the world and they'll work on my 3DOs, I know that much. But is there any benefit in making sure I buy the UK PAL versions? Or will the resultant game be exactly the same played through my PAL system and on to my PAL TV no matter where I buy it from? 'Cause I'd much rather collect the big box versions of games than the small jewel case UK ones.

2.) I've got Road Rash here and when I try to select one of the actual songs to play during the game it tells me there's not enough memory in the system, even if I've cleared the memory. How come? Will this part of the game only work with a memory expansion?

3.) Is Jurassic Park Interactive worth buying? Is it the same as the Amiga CD32 version?

Stupidity over. :shock:

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:50 am

1 is true to an extent, but i know for a fact Way of the Warrior wont work on any PAL system ive tried it on. There may be others.

2, buggered if i know, what sort of system is this? There is no memory expansion i know of. Check the battery. That shouldnt have any effect on the ability to play the music in Road Rash, but it might....

3, its crap. The intro is pretty good, but the game is pretty poor. Dont know about the Amiga version, what happens in that one?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Road Rash won't play music, even if your memory is empty. Sorry. :(

I wan't aware there was a CD32 version of JP. The 3DO game is ... okay. Why not read my review. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 am

It what? It does for me in Jukebox, ive never ever had the memory message in 15 years!! :lol:

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:26 am

Well I've done some reading on here and 3DOkid's blog (both reviews lol) and I've deleted JPI from the current list! It was a big box game and I love the franchise but it can wait until that time many, many years into the future when I'm filling gaps in the collection ;) I'm only starting off now, so big box NFS it is!

The Road Rash thing, I'm very disappointed that it won't play the Jukebox to chose the songs to play during the game as surely this was a big selling point? But now Case is saying it DOES work? I'm confused!

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:22 pm

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:It what? It does for me in Jukebox, ive never ever had the memory message in 15 years!! :lol:
I just popped in road rash to try this out and the Jukebox works fine for me too.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:29 pm

The later model FZ-10's had a newer, lower cost chip-set which resultes in Road Rash bringing up the memory message you mentioned in regards to the music.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:32 am

Trev wrote:The later model FZ-10's had a newer, lower cost chip-set which resultes in Road Rash bringing up the memory message you mentioned in regards to the music.
How late? Ive got 2 FZ10s here, one of which is an FZ10-E, and they BOTH play songs in the Jukebox!!

You cant make those songs play during the race though, if that is what youre trying to do. Only in the menus and the Jukebox, using the top L and R buttons should adjust volume.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:24 am

I'll try it out on my FZ-1 over the weekend. But isn't the whole point meant to be the songs play during a race?!

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:18 pm

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Trev wrote:The later model FZ-10's had a newer, lower cost chip-set which resultes in Road Rash bringing up the memory message you mentioned in regards to the music.
How late? Ive got 2 FZ10s here, one of which is an FZ10-E, and they BOTH play songs in the Jukebox!!

You cant make those songs play during the race though, if that is what youre trying to do. Only in the menus and the Jukebox, using the top L and R buttons should adjust volume.
what is a FZ10-E?
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Took ages but I eventually found some info on the Jurassic Park game I was referring to and after all that it wasn't the Commodore Amiga CD32 after all, it was the Sega Mega CD version.

Here's a link which, if you scroll down a bit describes the game and has a couple of videos of the game in action. If you ignore the awful walkthrough voiceover who criticises the game's videos and graphics etc (what does he expect for it beign so old!!), and concentrate on the game you'll see it's very different to every other JP game that came out back then.

http://toytainment.blogspot.com/2011/06 ... rview.html

I remember it being hyped up back in the day, but it looks like it'd be an underwhelming game to play unfortunately. Looks like the GameBoy version is still the best then!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:39 pm

I've always wanted to play the Scd JP game (I love point n' click) Sadly, the game doesn't work w/the CDX for some reason.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Trev wrote:I've always wanted to play the Scd JP game (I love point n' click) Sadly, the game doesn't work w/the CDX for some reason.
What's the CDX...? The combined Mega Drive/Mega CD set?

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:16 pm

CDX was a compact hybrid of a Genesis and Sega CD. I think it was also a portable CD player but I am not completely sure. I always wanted one but we were poor I got my trusty Genny September of 94 right before it got shafted by it's big brother.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah, you could use it as a portable CD player but it sucked up batteries like there was no tomorrow.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Dr.Enceladus wrote:
what is a FZ10-E?
Its a Panasonic FZ10 that has been modified by Panasonic to output PAL for the European market. There is also an FZ1-E that has the same mod.

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:36 pm

thankx, yer, i have to run my 3DO's through a step down power convertor and, back in the day before the NTSC - PAL combo TV's i had to run the signal through a convertor as well.
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:26 am

Yeah we did here too, as well as the PAL converter. The FZ10-E gets around all that, but it has a border all the way around the whole picture.