What are the controls like for Creature Shock?...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

What are the controls like for Creature Shock?...

Post by dave4shmups » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 pm

I've seen some footage of this game on Youtube, and the first looks to be a lot of space ship flying, while the rest looks like an on-rails shooter-which is fine by me. But I'd like to know what the controls are like, and, more importantly, if the game controls well with the Panasonic brand 3DO controller, which is what I have.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Pretty bad. The flying sequences are short lived and the controls don't make too much difference there. It's once your in the cave been shocked by creatures. Each creature has a soft point to shoot at, and tracking it with the pad is a challenge to say the least.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:16 pm

The control in the tunnel sections is terrible! :x The flying sections are fine, but they are a small part of the game.

Had the game used the gun or mouse controllers it might have been okay. W/the d-pad though, it borders on unplayable.

Check my review here on the forum for more gripes about this games control.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:49 pm

Alright, thanks! I will avoid this one. I'm pretty frustrated with the 3DO at this point. I got one in December, and it works great, and the controller feels great, but some of the games are just IMPOSSIBLE. Understand that I grew up playing Mega Man games, so I don't have a problem with games that are really difficult. But I can't see myself, without using cheat codes, ever beating games like Stellar 7 Draxxon's Revenge, or the first Shockwave game-which I am playing on cadet level. And that's really disappointing to me, because I LOVE the colorful graphics in Stellar 7, and I think the graphics are great in Shockwave, as well.

I do also own Novastorm and Burning Soldier, which I love, so I suppose I should not give up on the 3DO.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Stellar 7 is not a good showpiece for the 3DO by any means! Definitely don't give up on 3DO yet, there is a bunch of great software fo it.

I agree the first Shockwave is tough, but I'm never afraid to use cheat codes. The sequel is much better (and a bit easier also)

Novastorm & Burning Soldier are good games, and be sure to check out Starblade which is my favorite! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:20 am

I love the game but Creature Shock needed mouse support badly!!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:39 am

3DO Experience wrote:I love the game but Creature Shock needed mouse support badly!!
Yeah, it definitely looks like the kind of game where you would need a mouse.

So, what's the best console port of this game? I got on a CD-i forum, where I was told that that version is missing the flying parts. The Saturn version is a "special edition", so that has me curious. AFIK, the PS1 port doesn't support the PS1 mouse.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:47 am

dave4shmups wrote:So, what's the best console port of this game? I got on a CD-i forum, where I was told that that version is missing the flying parts. The Saturn version is a "special edition", so that has me curious. AFIK, the PS1 port doesn't support the PS1 mouse.
The Saturn version's flying scenes are done slightly different than the 3DO version's, IIRC. Asides from that I don't know what's so "special" about it, but then again I never did get far in any version of Creature Shock.
3DO Experience wrote:I love the game but Creature Shock needed mouse support badly!!
This is exactly why I want to play the CD-i version, since it should have no problems with the CD-i mouse.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:58 am

You'd think CD-i Creature Shock would control best since it didn't get ported until 1997! How it managed to pull that after the console had already been discontinued ...

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:01 am

Eh, I wouldn't have expected it to control better than any other version, honestly. As stated above, the problem with the game isn't necessarily the controls themselves, but the very limited windows of opportunity to do damage on most of the creatures you fight. It's set up in a manner where you absolutely need a mouse or a light gun (man, it would have been cool if they implemented the later!).