3DO guilty pleasures

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:34 am

The fps sections of Demo Man were probably the most impressive at the time (they still are to an extent) They don't play quite like your typical Wolfenstein type game though, so fair warning. I remember being frustrated when I first got it, wondering what I was doing wrong and why I couldn't beat Snipes.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:43 am

The fps sections of Demo Man were probably the most impressive at the time (they still are to an extent) They don't play quite like your typical Wolfenstein type game though, so fair warning. I remember being frustrated when I first got it, wondering what I was doing wrong and why I couldn't beat Snipes.
Oh yeah, for sure. I actually broke out the instruction manual to check out what the deal is. It's interesting in the fact that the goal isn't to shoot Simon Phoenix ("SIMON SAYS LEAVE") but to follow him out of the tunnels into the next area. It's more of a hunter/hunted situation but it's refreshingly different, even nowadays.

Y'know, I think I like the game so much simply because I got it for free. I was wandering around a local store that sells used games, but they were more heavy on the DVD side of things at the time, so all of their old games were a flat rate, depending on the system. I see two 3DO games on the shelf, Demolition Man and Quarantine, complete with their long boxes and everything. I pick them up, looking at them, and the lady behind the counter asks me "Do you know what those are? You're the first person to even look at them. Take 'em for free." Needless to say, I was overjoyed. Not often you actually find 3DO games in brick and mortar stores and it's even less common to just have them given to you. It's too bad the store has taken a turn for the worse recently.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:53 am

That's a sweet deal. :D

I had a similar experience at Electronic Botique back in the day. The clerk saw me pick up some Sega cd games - they only had a few, the system had long been discontinued - and he was almost begging me to buy them. He nearly gave them away ... I think it was like buy 1, take the rest for free. 8)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:45 am

Ooohhh, the good old days, as they say... :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:17 am

Trev wrote:That's a sweet deal. :D

I had a similar experience at Electronic Botique back in the day. The clerk saw me pick up some Sega cd games - they only had a few, the system had long been discontinued - and he was almost begging me to buy them. He nearly gave them away ... I think it was like buy 1, take the rest for free. 8)
EB UK must at one point found a big warehouse full of Jag stuff, long after it had passed away, and I had the same experience.

"You sure you don't want everything?"

Rust
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rust » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:41 am

One more for Phoenix 3. All below is ours. All within is ours.

vampyre mike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vampyre mike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 pm

sneth wrote:Isn't the 3DO itself kind of a guilty pleasure???
Haha, couldn't have said this better myself.

My guilty pleasure has always been FMV games, my friends and I love them. But no school gamers who like these online crazy battles etc (which I enjoy too on occasion mind you). Think FMV games are the devil =)

So my choice is probably Psychic Detective

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:09 am

So my choice is probably Psychic Detective
Psychic Detective is a game that is faaaaaaar better than most people give it credit for, I completely agree. I remember back when I was in the 4th grade, I used to buy a magazine called Game Players. It was the early PS1 days and they had the capsule reviews from past issues in the back. I'll never forget seeing the 27% score for the Playstation version of Psychic Detective in that section. Needless to say, I avoided it for the longest time.

A few months back, I was at a local store that just happened to have gotten some 3DO games in stock that day and needless to say, I bought all of them. Psychic Detective was in the batch. I throw the game in later, with that 27% floating around in my head, expecting the worst but then a funny thing happened. I started really digging the game. It's really unique and does a darn good job at setting out what it wanted to do. Could it have been better? Sure but it's thoroughly enjoyable and needs more love.

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm a 26 year old man and my wife came home to me playing Putt-Putt Joins the Parade. Why? Why is it fun? Is it because its easy and adorable? Is it because of the starring role being filled by an anthropomorphic automobile? I don't know, but that doesnt matter.

The fact is the little guy makes it....into the parade....the parade of our hearts.
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 pm

NOT TOO SURE WHAT...
constitutes a 'guilty pleasure' on the 3DO console (every game?!), but if we're talking about guiltily enjoying the lesser titles for the system, then my standout game would definitely be... DOOM!

I know it's a shit port. I know it has a screen the size of a GameGear and the framerate of an LCD handheld... but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it for what it is, regardless: Doom.

Not sure what it is about Doom in general, but no matter what the version is, I always manage to really enjoy it, SNES version included too.

As for the 3DO, I'm sure that soundtrack has a lot to answer for :wink: