3DO guilty pleasures

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

3DO guilty pleasures

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 am

Station Invasion

It's a kid's game, I know, but the blood of Twisted (and to a lesser extent Zhadnost) runs through its veins.

I remember my roomate one time saw me playing this one and asked "What game is that?" I was kinda embarrassed being caught playing a preteen title. :oops:

What is your 3DO guilty pleasure(s)?

Oh, and before I get a dozen posts of the Adult titles :P , I will say that a guilty pleasure could also be a game that isn't very good but that you still like to play a lot.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 am

The game that a bit poopy but I kinda like it is, Insector Wars. It's just so bizzare :shock:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Personally, i dont really have an issue playing different types of games, be it a "kids" game or 18+. If i like it i do, what others think of it doesnt matter.

Generally tho, kids games usually dont apeal to me, but Little Big Planet is pretty childish, but fun.

As for the 3DO, nothing particular in the "kids game" category springs to mind though... Maybe Sailor Moon would be the closest, given the origin of the series?

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 am

My guilty pleasure may have been "Life Stage: A Virtual House".

You simply get to design your own house (including windows, wallpaper, furniture, plants), and walk around it in 3D.

All the reviews I saw hated it, but I loved it!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:10 am

If it wasn't for the outlandish load times, Virtual House might have been a guilty pleasure for me too. I do have some measure of respect for it though.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:05 am

I thought I was going to really enjoy Life Stage. The concept is pretty cool, but unfortunately the framerate and loading killed it for me. :(

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm

I chalk up some of it to laumch window growing pains. If Life Stage - Virtual House had been released later in 3DO's life, I bet the load times would have been much shorter. Most of the games w/long load times that I've seen (or at least remember) were from the early batch of 3DO releases.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:11 am

Isn't the 3DO itself kind of a guilty pleasure???

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:16 pm

sneth wrote:Isn't the 3DO itself kind of a guilty pleasure???
Yes it is, my friend ;)

Paranoia Dragon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Paranoia Dragon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 am

Phoenix 3 :D Oh & Cyberdillo! Not that I'm good at either of them, but, I do have a strange fascination with them.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:03 am

Chalk another one up to Phoenix 3. Gotta' go with Way of the Warrior as well. Both games should totally suck balls, but I have a serious like of them.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:12 am

I am going with Defcon 5, Iron Angel of the Apocalypse and Iron Angel of the Apocalypse 2.
Love the atmosphere in the these games.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 am

My guilty 3DO pleasure seems to be hawking over eBay and buying stuff.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:28 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Chalk another one up to Phoenix 3. Gotta' go with Way of the Warrior as well. Both games should totally suck balls, but I have a serious like of them.
I didn't care for Phoenix 3 the last time I played it (which was probably ten years ago now). I'd like to give it another shot though. See if maybe I just wasn't "in the mood" for it when I initially tried it, or if it really doesn't appeal to me at all still (I've had a bunch of 3DO titles appeal to me recently, where they once did not).

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:00 am

Austin wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Chalk another one up to Phoenix 3. Gotta' go with Way of the Warrior as well. Both games should totally suck balls, but I have a serious like of them.
I didn't care for Phoenix 3 the last time I played it (which was probably ten years ago now). I'd like to give it another shot though. See if maybe I just wasn't "in the mood" for it when I initially tried it, or if it really doesn't appeal to me at all still (I've had a bunch of 3DO titles appeal to me recently, where they once did not).
The biggest problem I have with this game is I wish there was a way to configure the buttons the way I like. If I could do that, I would enjoy the game quite a bit more.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:22 am

T2KFreeker wrote:The biggest problem I have with this game is I wish there was a way to configure the buttons the way I like. If I could do that, I would enjoy the game quite a bit more.
Yes, I never cared for the pre-set control options in this one either. Why not just let me select which button does what, you know, instead of making me sort through twenty or thirty different options?

A four-button layout (like a SNES pad) is necessary for the game if you want to have the easiest time with it, duplicating the arcade layout. I use one of those Interact controllers, and there is a canned layout that matches the arcade setup. I'd really like to track down the Panasonic arcade stick and see if I can find a configuration that works with that layout, but damn are they expensive. :(

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 am

Austin wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:The biggest problem I have with this game is I wish there was a way to configure the buttons the way I like. If I could do that, I would enjoy the game quite a bit more.
Yes, I never cared for the pre-set control options in this one either. Why not just let me select which button does what, you know, instead of making me sort through twenty or thirty different options?

A four-button layout (like a SNES pad) is necessary for the game if you want to have the easiest time with it, duplicating the arcade layout. I use one of those Interact controllers, and there is a canned layout that matches the arcade setup. I'd really like to track down the Panasonic arcade stick and see if I can find a configuration that works with that layout, but damn are they expensive. :(
Uhm, but there is no way to change the controls in Phoenix 3. You are stuck with one control layout and that's it. I hate it too.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:01 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Uhm, but there is no way to change the controls in Phoenix 3. You are stuck with one control layout and that's it. I hate it too.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about Primal Rage. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:56 pm

It's a shame too, cause it can't be very difficult to program the option to map the controls differently. Most games should give the player that choice.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:32 am

Trev wrote:It's a shame too, cause it can't be very difficult to program the option to map the controls differently. Most games should give the player that choice.
And just think, we are still plagued today with the games now like everyone who plays FPS's on console only plays one way. No southpaw? Instant failure in my book. :roll:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
Trev wrote:It's a shame too, cause it can't be very difficult to program the option to map the controls differently. Most games should give the player that choice.
And just think, we are still plagued today with the games now like everyone who plays FPS's on console only plays one way. No southpaw? Instant failure in my book. :roll:
...A Rocky reference? :)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 am

3DOKid wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:
...A Rocky reference? :)
Nope, but everyone told me how awesome Bioshock was, and I can't even play it because I can't set the controls comfortably. Been some others too. I really wanted to play Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green, but yet another one you can't screw around with. Quake 2 that came with 360 Quake 4, guess what? Same thing, but you can change the controls in Quake 4? Weird . . .

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:24 pm

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
sneth wrote:Isn't the 3DO itself kind of a guilty pleasure???
Yes it is, my friend ;)
Couldn't have said it better myself. Some of the most fun games on the 3DO are bad, three letters: FMV. Between Sewer Shark, Demolition Man, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, (It counts) Night Trap, Corpse Killer, I'm sure there's more.

Then there's the Japanese games. I was going to come up with a metaphor to help describe it, but I just can't; but just look at my name. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Virtual Cameraman Series, Furopon the Space Mutant, Furopon World, Short Warp, Oyaji Hunter Mahjong, Taiketsu Rooms, and of course, Kamachi's Museum; that's just a fraction of all of the creepy, fascinating Japanese games I'm drawn towards.

I could end it there, but nothing seems to apply to the term "Guilty Pleasure" more than the Vivid Interactive Series, and there's tons of "games" like that in Japan too.

Who knew the 3DO was so entertaining? :wink:
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:20 pm

This maybe premature, but my guilty pleasure if I'm using the phrase appropriately would be the recent release of IB ver. 6.7. As a gamer that has spent a lot of time and money on the movement I traditionally shied away from many 1 players games. Due to the fact that when a friend came over or vice versa, that game would typically be saved and ejected so we could play a co-op or go head 2 head.

However as a older wiser gamer I have found delight and treasures within games that never got a second look, back then. Honestly I can gaming pleasure in watching others play esp. If there good. Although I've grown as a gamer I don't necessarily play all games, at lest when their new. As my Father told me when I beg for my first system "wait till the price comes down". As a kid I couldn't comprehend the statement because I needed to have the newest latest. On the other hand this is one of those truths that I not only understand, but now reciprocate to my own children.

Guilty pleasure I'm not sure. I still don't play role players, not many GPS either. That's one of the reasons I've revived my collection . I think I'm a true gamer, just nit so easy to move into the future with, to busy cherishing the past awaiting optimal pricing as it would be in light of responsibilities and what not .

Guilty pleasures, that a good thing right?

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 am

Couldn't have said it better myself. Some of the most fun games on the 3DO are bad, three letters: FMV. Between Sewer Shark, Demolition Man, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, (It counts) Night Trap, Corpse Killer, I'm sure there's more.
I honestly don't understand why people think Demolition Man is a bad game! I honestly think it's one of the best games on the console. On the right day, I might actually include it in my Top 20 of all time for any console. I know that's a bit overboard probably, but I have so much fun playing it. It's a fantastic little arcade game, with the goal not being "beating it" but "beating your high score." The fact that the game was striving to be a bit more that a normal one too counts a bit too.

Oh, and "Hey, Puke Skywalker, use the force!"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:54 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:

I honestly don't understand why people think Demolition Man is a bad game! I honestly think it's one of the best games on the console. On the right day, I might actually include it in my Top 20 of all time for any console. I know that's a bit overboard probably, but I have so much fun playing it. It's a fantastic little arcade game, with the goal not being "beating it" but "beating your high score." The fact that the game was striving to be a bit more that a normal one too counts a bit too.
I also think Demolition Man for the 3DO is pretty good. The level of polish really help bring the whole package together. It doesn't seem to get talked about a great deal, but I think it had a lot of good ideas.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:02 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:

Oh, and "Hey, Puke Skywalker, use the force!"
I was a little harsh. I was referring more to the cheesy, so-bad-it's-good FMV cutscenes. You have to admit, it's really not that impressive in the gameplay department either, it doesn't go above and beyond, especially for an FMV title, but it's a fun little game...There's just a lot of weird stuff and flaws, which is probably why I bunched it in with Sewer Shark, which in retrospect it certainly doesn't deserve.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:02 am

I also think Demolition Man for the 3DO is pretty good. The level of polish really help bring the whole package together. It doesn't seem to get talked about a great deal, but I think it had a lot of good ideas.
Oh for sure. I'll be the first to admit that the 1 on 1 fighting sections aren't the greatest, but they become a bit more enjoyable once you learn about canceling your attacks so you aren't constantly getting counter blows thrown at you. The FPS Doom-ish levels are fantastic though, and the engine blows my mind every time I pop into them.

I don't know how they did it, but I applaud them for it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 am

Yeah, the fighting sections are the weakest part imo. The driving level wasn't so hot either (although it wasn't that long) I agree, the fps are great. If you have the light gun, the shooting sections are really good too. When you combine all the different game engines, along w/the original footage that Stalone & Snipes filmed, I think its a nice collection.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:28 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:Oh for sure. I'll be the first to admit that the 1 on 1 fighting sections aren't the greatest, but they become a bit more enjoyable once you learn about canceling your attacks so you aren't constantly getting counter blows thrown at you. The FPS Doom-ish levels are fantastic though, and the engine blows my mind every time I pop into them.
There are FPS sections? Interesting, I will have to try this again (very soon, since I have the Japanese version!). I was aware of the lightgun-esque stages, but after playing the fighting portions for the first time I was like, "meh.. neeeeexxt!!" Needless to say I haven't seen the FPS sections.