Whose a fan of MegaRace?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Whose a fan of MegaRace?

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:41 am

I'm a fan.

I know there isn't a whole lot of game to it, but I'm a sucker for the Cryo graphics of the 90's. :D

I never did play the sequels (not ye anyway) but I'll always have a fondness for the first one.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:59 am

I played this for days one end when I got this.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:06 am

Ever play either of the 2 sequels?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:13 am

nope
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 pm

Any tips on how to actually succeed in the 3DO version? The game looks nice, but I keep getting destroyed (literally) prior to ever finishing a race. :(

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Austin wrote:Any tips on how to actually succeed in the 3DO version? The game looks nice, but I keep getting destroyed (literally) prior to ever finishing a race. :(
What's giving you trouble exactly?

Are you trying to speed past the cars? You really should be destroying them. As long as you don't let them get stuck right behind you it's pretty easy.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Meh.. maybe I will revisit it then. It's about that time to hook up the 'ole FZ-10 again..

I recall last time I played it I either A) died quickly, B) ran out of ammo quickly or C) died quickly (again).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:40 am

The game is less of an actual racer, and more of a driving combat game ... I guess the closest on 3DO might be Off-World Interceptor (although MegaRace is better imo ... much less chaos!)

I was just playing it earlier to see if I might have a tip or two for you ... sadly I forgot my copy tends to lack up on the 3rd race ... If anyone has a spare, pm me.

pwhippedpow
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pwhippedpow » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 am

I really like Mega Race!

I dont like that there are no continues. Makes it a challenge.

You need to kill the "boss car" to finish the race.
*You may take our land.... but you will never take.... MY 3DO!!*

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:36 am

This does explain things.. I always tried to win the race by actually driving, and getting shot to pieces.. Ill give it another try focusing on destroying the other racers instead.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:04 am

grimm wrote:This does explain things.. I always tried to win the race by actually driving, and getting shot to pieces.. Ill give it another try focusing on destroying the other racers instead.
Likewise. Last time I played it I tried to race, and was destroyed horribly in the process.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm a fan of Mega Race, never tried the sequels (are they PC). But "race" is a misnomer, it's sanctioned "road warriors" on tracks instead of open road, kind of like the re-make of Death Race 2000. Not original, the same type of games were around on the older 8- and 16-bitters I'm sure, thought the only one I can currently remember, strangely enough, is a rare Atari 7800 game called 'Fatal Run.' Not to mention the 3DO's own 'Crash N' Burn.'
Anyway, I also agree that continues would have been nice, although I think I've made it through a few levels. I too, kind of enjoy the FMV tracks; I think this type of game can make perfect use of FMV in-game. Obviously better ways came along, almost too quickly, to replace FMV games of this type. Maybe I should look into the sequels if they do it the same way. But the fact is that Crash n' Burn is better for the same basic type of road warrior game, although the power-ups on the road give Mega Race a little boost in gameplay, would have been a good idea for CnB, IMHO.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed