First game you played on 3DO ?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

First game you played on 3DO ?

Post by bitrate » Sat May 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Ok, what was the first game that you played on a 3DO and what were your impressions?
This doesn't have to be the first game that you bought, or first game that you played on your own 3DO system - but rather the first game you played on any 3DO system (ie. store, friends 3DO system).

The first game that I played was Need For Speed, late November 1994, at a Software Etc. in a very large retail mall here in Southern California.
I fell in love immediately. Never had I seen such realism in a car driving game. Will always be my favorite game on any system.

Let's hear your stories !

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat May 26, 2007 10:31 pm

I was sold my 3DO by magazine images of Shockwave. Spaceships + 24bit graphics = sold.

The first game I played was Super Wing Commander. I had been a big fan of Wing Commander on the Amiga and the idea of a 'super' version meant it was one of two games I bought at launch.

The second was Total Eclipse, and the third was Escape from monster manor...

I could go on...

Dengar13
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dengar13 » Sat May 26, 2007 11:54 pm

Hmmm...that was a very dazed and confused period of time in my life. :?

I think it was Road Rash for me and I was instantly hooked. That game usurped many hours of my life.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sun May 27, 2007 9:08 am

I bought my first system second handed and i believe my first game that came together was powers kingdom. As i am a rpg maniac i had a lot of hours with that. next was need for speed that i had already seen in saturn and gex and and and... :D

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sun May 27, 2007 2:47 pm

The first game I played was Gex and well sadly most 3do games never quite reach that level. I was spoiled early.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun May 27, 2007 6:23 pm

bonefish wrote:The first game I played was Gex and well sadly most 3do games never quite reach that level. I was spoiled early.
If I had only played NFS, Gex, and WCIII I should have stopped there and declared it the best console ever.

...of cause it is - but you know what I mean.

Dengar13
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dengar13 » Sun May 27, 2007 6:27 pm

3DOKid wrote:
bonefish wrote:The first game I played was Gex and well sadly most 3do games never quite reach that level. I was spoiled early.
If I had only played NFS, Gex, and WCIII I should have stopped there and declared it the best console ever.

I really need to try the WC series. Is the first as good as III?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun May 27, 2007 7:18 pm

i bought mine Goldstar 3do from Funcoland on 4-8-97 and the games i bought with it were
Slayer, Ballz, Dragons Lair, Quarantine, Shockwave 2, and Pebble Beach Golf

i remember playing Shockwave 2 the most

but in the 20 days after i got the system i bought 20 more games, and out of those games i played Crime Patrol the most
and it took untill 6-1-98 untill i got a game that i played for months and that game was Road Rash
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun May 27, 2007 11:48 pm

Dengar13 wrote:
3DOKid wrote:

I really need to try the WC series. Is the first as good as III?
Not really Super WC aged badly - WCIII holds it's own.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Mon May 28, 2007 12:24 am

Shockwave. I remember my days in the SNES, and when I came to the retailer that I used to buy my games, I saw a 3DO with that game running the egyptian level.

At first, I think that was a demo, intro or something. But Major Stuart came live in the cockpit and said to the player: "-This isn't a game, Lt.", and the dude playing starts to fire his weapons like crazy, destroying the temples and all..

Man I looked to the SNES like it was a Ford Model-T or something facing a Ferrari.. and next month I bought mine own 3do.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Mon May 28, 2007 1:01 am

klogg wrote: Man I looked to the SNES like it was a Ford Model-T or something facing a Ferrari.. and next month I bought mine own 3do.
Yeah thats why I don't get why people compared the 3do to the PS or Saturn. Actually it was quite comparable to the Saturn but the PS ran away with the 3d capability. It was a different machine for a different time. At least the 3do could do 2d lol.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:01 pm

The first 3do disc that I took for a spin was actually the Interplay demo disc (Interplay Buffett I think it was called) I was instantly wowed by its cool spinning logo and dramatic music. I played the Wolfstein demo quite a bit, and was also impressed by the non interactive demos of Casper & Waterworld (too bad it never saw release)

The first full game for me was Jurassic Park Interactive, and although it is not a great game, I did enjoy the varied gameplay, and the cool soundtrack, as well as brief snippetts of fmv from the movie.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Trev wrote:The first 3do disc that I took for a spin was actually the Interplay demo disc (Interplay Buffett I think it was called) I was instantly wowed by its cool spinning logo and dramatic music. I played the Wolfstein demo quite a bit, and was also impressed by the non interactive demos of Casper & Waterworld (too bad it never saw release)
heh at first i thought i had played the pack in sampler for the fz1 as my first thing, but i didnt buy that untill the following year, probably because i spent alot of time messing around with that sampler, i even hooked my 3do up to the vcr and recorded the psychadellic acid trip thing that you can change with the controller :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:46 pm

Lemmi wrote:
Trev wrote:The first 3do disc that I took for a spin was actually the Interplay demo disc (Interplay Buffett I think it was called) I was instantly wowed by its cool spinning logo and dramatic music. I played the Wolfstein demo quite a bit, and was also impressed by the non interactive demos of Casper & Waterworld (too bad it never saw release)
heh at first i thought i had played the pack in sampler for the fz1 as my first thing, but i didnt buy that untill the following year, probably because i spent alot of time messing around with that sampler, i even hooked my 3do up to the vcr and recorded the psychadellic acid trip thing that you can change with the controller :D
That was the best CD audio/visual player ever. The 3DO was the first CD player with a screen I had ever used and I simply assumed they were all going to be that good and obviously on the Saturn and the PSX they were going to be better.

Wrong.

The Saturns dancing spaceship was simply shit and I don't even think the PSX had a visualisation thing, which was massively disappointing. I think you could buy a disc for the PSX to give the same effect or something but it meant disc juggling.

I also thought the whole 3DO GUI and CD player complimented the FZ1s design. Sort of 'quality'.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:14 am

The Saturn spaceship wasn't that bad =\
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:11 am

UnholyTancred wrote:The Saturn spaceship wasn't that bad =\
yes. yes it was.

DragonmasterDan
3DO ZERO USER

Post by DragonmasterDan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:44 am

Hmmm... I'm not really sure, I remember playing a few 3DO titles at the 1993 Summer CES. One of them was a golf game which left me kind of unimpressed at the time since it didn't look any better than 16-bit games in terms of graphics.
--DragonmasterDan

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:54 am

My Uncle was the very first one that I knew of to get a 3DO, and while I didn't actually play he talked it up so well that it was enough for me to want one. I purchased my first 3DO from VGLQ (i'm fairly certian) it was a brand new FZ-10 that came with Gex. Needless to say as soon as I could hook it up I started playing Gex. Which to answer your question, is Gex. However I was smart when I ordered my system I purchased several games with it (the maniac pack, gunslinger collection and the action pack). If I am thinking correctly the 3DO was out the same time or a tad before the original PSX. The reason I say this as that I seem to recall price was a big reason as well. I'm wanting to say I bought my 3DO new for 129+ S/H which at the time was much cheaper than the Play station, (plus on the PSX you had to buy memory cards ect and there were no cheap games for it yet)

One of the biggest things to me about the 3DO is all the memories tied to it. each time I look over a certain game title I can still think back & remember times & events back then...IMO its priceless
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:00 am

Gex! Road Rash was second.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 am

I remember it like it was yesterday, although I couldn’t tell you when it was exactly. I was over at a friend’s house and he popped in HELL: A Cyberpunk Thriller the FMV made my jaw drop and the fact that there was swearing in the game made my mouth water. This game really blew me away, I ended up buying it not too long after. Hell is still one of my favorites and I still go back to play it from time to time, I just wish they had incorporated support for the 3DO mouse.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"