How does Space Hulk on the 3DO compare with other versions??

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

How does Space Hulk on the 3DO compare with other versions??

Post by dave4shmups » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:30 am

This PC version looks fantastic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnQ5y7Z0 ... re=related so I'm wondering how Space Hulk on the 3DO compares, in terms of graphics. Also, how are the controls?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:43 am

Others here can go into much more detail, but what I noticed personally is that the 3DO version doesn't move quite as smoothly as the PlayStation and Saturn games, but it looks a good bit better. I can't comment too much more than that, I never could get into this game regardless of platform.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:36 am

Even though the framerate isn't as smooth as the Saturn and Playstation versions, the 3DO version does play tighter. The framerate drop doesn't hurt the controls at all. Also, later in the Saturn and Playstation releases, there is some serious slowdown that does hurt the controls and such whereas it stays the same on the 3DO. I really do think the 3DO version id the best console release at least.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:50 am

Is there an epic dumbing down of the game?

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Sounds good! Is this game a mix of first person shooting and squad management? That's what it sounds like.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:39 pm

dave4shmups wrote:Sounds good! Is this game a mix of first person shooting and squad management? That's what it sounds like.
It's mostly tactical squad management from a first person perspective. It's not a FPS at all in the traditional sense (you don't be doing much dodging, if any).

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:43 am

3DOKid wrote:Is there an epic dumbing down of the game?
No, I wouldn't say that, but the slowdown issues that happen later in the Saturn and, oddly enough, worse Playstation version does kill the controls. You know what I mean. It's like playing a FPS and the controls die when the game goes choppy. The same thing here. It's annoying.

Rick-Manta
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rick-Manta » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:05 pm

^ I agree, the Playstation one trying to win a hand to hand fight is impossible as your reaction time with the block and strike maybe fine but the game itself won't keep up with your button press!

Not that I have it for the 3DO for comparison, but it sounds like it's better to control by what folk are saying..

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 am

Rick-Manta wrote:^ I agree, the Playstation one trying to win a hand to hand fight is impossible as your reaction time with the block and strike maybe fine but the game itself won't keep up with your button press!

Not that I have it for the 3DO for comparison, but it sounds like it's better to control by what folk are saying..
It's reasons like this that if you go back and check out some game mag reviewers "Top Tens" from back then, even after the Saturn and Playstation versions had released, they still had the 3DO version of Space Hulk on their lists. It was funny to us few 3DO fans in my area because Space Hulk was actually pretty popular around here and people were so trying to sell us on the Playstation version, and as snobby as gamers can be, they mostly wouldn't even look at the 3DO version. I know you all know what I am talking about. :wink:

Rick-Manta
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rick-Manta » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:30 pm

^ I know exactly what you're on about 'now' or these days, but back then I also remember many of my friends were into warhammer so Space Hulk was popular with us nerds but only two of us saved hard enough to afford a Playstation. The 3DO as I first remember it was marketed less of a games machine and more of a multimedia system like the Philips CDi, so didn't appeal to me as I'd was 13 or 14 but I do remember people talking about certain games that were better on certain formats.. Space Hulk certainly being better on the 3DO overall.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Rick-Manta wrote:^ I know exactly what you're on about 'now' or these days, but back then I also remember many of my friends were into warhammer so Space Hulk was popular with us nerds but only two of us saved hard enough to afford a Playstation. The 3DO as I first remember it was marketed less of a games machine and more of a multimedia system like the Philips CDi, so didn't appeal to me as I'd was 13 or 14 but I do remember people talking about certain games that were better on certain formats.. Space Hulk certainly being better on the 3DO overall.
Yeah, I remember friends of mine so loving the original Space Hulk games on their 486 PC's. I liked them too. However, when I got the 3DO version, we were all so blown away by the game. Very cool stuff at the time that really shows what the 3DO was capable of when in the right hands. Even though I am no fan of Electronic Arts these days, they really were something of programming wizards where the 3DO is concerned. Just for Need for Speed, Space Hulk, and Road Rash alone, they were the shit. And if you add in Wing Commander III, it's all icing on the cake. I can also say, without a shadow of a doubt, Madden and Foes of Ali were amazing on the 3DO.