Is A DAW Port To 3DO Possible? + Other Info Needed

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Is it possible to port a DAW from the same era as the 3DO to the console?

Yes!
No votes
No :(
No votes
It's a possibility!
100%

Total votes: 2

SCREAMKIDSARCADE
3DO ZERO USER

Is A DAW Port To 3DO Possible? + Other Info Needed

Post by SCREAMKIDSARCADE » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:54 pm

First an introduction of myself,
I am a 19 year old chiptune musician from California, I pride myself in my collection of video game consoles and accessories (primarily that of the original gameboy). I am having my EP launched in April for my birthday thanks to kickstarter. I have programmed very little but can write in C. And I'm just looking for a place where my ideas below can grow and possibly become complete and share the glory with the fellow forum members!

I Am very new to the 3DO scene, but after discovering it I have some big plans. I tryed to find a forum that would connect me with the right type of people, and 3DO ZER0 is the gem that ive found. So here is what I want to happen, but I am the least bit knowledgeable in most of these areas.

-Is it possible to port a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) from the same era as 3DO onto the console? I read somewhere that there were mouse and keyboard peripherals for the 3DO, this would help a lot to know.
-I have read that the RSA for the 3DO has yet to be cracked! Is this still true? And if so doesn't that constrict our ability to run homebrew on the system?
-What code are 3DO Programs/Images written in?
-Is the 3DO capable of Midi Technology or does it already have MIDI technology integrated into it? This may seem like a weird question, but some systems like the genesis, GB, and NES have midi technology or were capable of having it implemented.
-What are the best CDs (Brand & Type[CD-R or CD+R]) to burn 3DO images with and what is the best program (Alchohol or Nero, ect) to use and what are the optimal settings to burn the disc with?
-There's little information about the controller ports and expansion ports, are the parallel or serial ports? Would it be possible to construct a USB or MiDI OUT to 3DO port in?

If there's anyone with this information, please let me know I need all of it!
And especially if there's anyone who wants to colaborate on this journey with me I would be very happy!
But I already realize my dreams might be crushed because of the RSA! :( but still if you could answer any of the other questions that would be superb !
Feel free to reply to any of my posts by email @ hunter.michael.ward@gmail.com

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:52 pm

OK! This is a long discussion but I will try to add what I can.

-There is a mouse for 3do, not so sure about keyboard though.

-We have been able to sign discs and run them on 3do consoles. This is not much of a problem anymore.

-I am not sure sure about the coding of 3do programs. I know there are some around here who do though.

-the whole burning discs thing, some say it doesn't matter. Some say that burning discs low speed helps. I do know that CDRs have worn out my system. My system used to play originals fine and started to hate CDRs. The laser unit in the systems aren't that great. They breakdown in time and are not that easy to replace.

-there was a topic on this board that had a little bit of info on the controller port but I can't find it anymore. The search on this forum software always lets me down :(

SCREAMKIDSARCADE
3DO ZERO USER

Post by SCREAMKIDSARCADE » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks for the info, Anyone else?
Feel free to reply to any of my posts by email @ hunter.michael.ward@gmail.com

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:44 am

I wouldn't doubt it's possible to come up with some kind of tracker program that, say, is limited to samples packed onto the disc or something. I'm not too uber-tech-savvy when it comes to these consoles though, so I don't even know how the 3DO handles sound. My assumption is that it's sample-based (I could and probably am wrong). If it DOES have the capability to do some form of synthesis, like the Genesis/Megadrive, then maybe the program could be built to tap into this and customize it, or at least adjust ADSR, pitch, etc., on the stock notes/instruments that can be triggered.