Is this a typical price for Lucienne's Quest??...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Is this a typical price for Lucienne's Quest??...

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:34 am

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=3DO ... &_from=R40

:shock: :shock: I hope not. because it's one of the 3DO games that I want the worst, but I don't know how rare it is.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:50 am

I don't know what's typical for 3DO anymore ... games I once thought to be rare seem to be pop up w/more frequency for a spell, only to vanish for long times after. Prices in general seem to be getting much higher (asking prices anyway, not sure about sale prices) As for Lucienne's Quest, there was a copy that fetched almost $800 on Ebay not that long ago! The game is rare (and quite good imo) but there is no way that it is worth a price so ridiculous, even in complete shape.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:31 am

it's quite rare. i paid $100 about 4 years ago. Which wasn't too bad. This was was when there was 2 US Dollars to 1 UK pound. 300 USD seems a little steep. Let's watch and see if he gets it...

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:18 am

Well, look at this one :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luciennes-Quest ... 500wt_1183

I don't buy it though. That seems like overkill. Not that $200ish isn't bad enough as it is. :cry:

Doesn't look like feedback has been left on that one yet either.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Austin wrote:Well, look at this one :shock:

http://www.evilbay.com/itm/Luciennes-Qu ... 500wt_1183

I don't buy it though. That seems like overkill. Not that $200ish isn't bad enough as it is. :cry:

Doesn't look like feedback has been left on that one yet either.
Surely, that's the sell-by date, not the price... (good lord!)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Really makes you wish someone had localized the Saturn version, doesn't it?

I don't mind occasionally forking over $60-70 for an old RPG, but yeesh! Three digit figures for a generic offering that reportedly can be finished in less than 10 hours?

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Martin III wrote:Really makes you wish someone had localized the Saturn version, doesn't it?

I don't mind occasionally forking over $60-70 for an old RPG, but yeesh! Three digit figures for a generic offering that reportedly can be finished in less than 10 hours?
Is it really that short?? I've seen video of it on Youtube, and it looks like a beautiful RPG, with lots of bright colors. In general, it looks fantastic, IMO, for a game that old.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Martin III wrote:Really makes you wish someone had localized the Saturn version, doesn't it?

it took me about 20 hours. The story is pretty neat, the characters are very cool. What it is, the pre-cursor to Final Fantasy VII.

FFVI is dead-pan flat. It's not a bad game, but it's 'last gen'. Final Fantasy VII is very long, and very next gen. Luciennes Quest is what goes between. Lucienne is still one of the best RPG characters. Cute, funny and smart. She's very well done. I love her :)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:52 pm

I remember playing through Lucienne's Quest in about 20 hours just like 3DOkid...

I had NO idea it had ever sold for upward 800 dollars though.. I bought my shrinkwrapped copy 5-6 years ago, for around 100, but i cant remember for certain.. I do remember cutting the shrinkwrap open just around the flap on top, to keep it super minty though, and it still is. And not for sale ;) And it is a really good game. Its not Chronotrigger, but its certainly a very well made RPG, has a fairly unique feel to it, and excellent characters. I love it and must play it again!

Its is however moments like these, that you kick yourself for now being able to afford games years back.. i was SO close to buying a non fixed (SNK fixed bugs if you returned it) Samurai Spirits Zero Special AES game back in 2004 or 2005 for about 350 dollars.. It now sales for more than 800-900...

But back on topic.. I would NEVER consider Lucienne's Quest worth $770 just because an auction ended there. 100-200 sounds more reasonable, and they do come up for sale around that mark, perhaps a bit higher, as BIN now and then, but more rarely..

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Yeah, I really hope that $700 auction was a fluke. I am pretty sure I saw another CIB one sell just a couple months ago for under $200. Maybe in the $175 range.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:28 am

dave4shmups wrote:

Is it really that short?? I've seen video of it on Youtube, and it looks like a beautiful RPG, with lots of bright colors. In general, it looks fantastic, IMO, for a game that old.
It only took me about 10 hrs or so to finish it. :( In fairness, I've played it more than once so it's familiar. If it's your first time playing through I guess I could see it aprroaching closer to the 20 hr range. Depends too on how much time you spend leveling up & how frequently you play rpgs. The game is on the easier side though, especially when compared to Guardian War.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:41 am

Trev wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:

It only took me about 10 hrs or so to finish it. :( In fairness, I've played it more than once so it's familiar. If it's your first time playing through I guess I could see it aprroaching closer to the 20 hr range. Depends too on how much time you spend leveling up & how frequently you play rpgs. The game is on the easier side though, especially when compared to Guardian War.
Gotcha. I wonder if more expensive 3DO games like this were just produced in limited quantities? That, for example, is the issue with the high prices on a lot of Japanese Megadrive games.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:58 am

And this is why we don't make price guides.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:37 am

dave4shmups wrote: Gotcha. I wonder if more expensive 3DO games like this were just produced in limited quantities? That, for example, is the issue with the high prices on a lot of Japanese Megadrive games.

Gir Draxa said at one point that Lucienne's Quest was recalled from stores by Panasonic as 3DO was on its deathbed.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:41 pm

bitrate wrote:
dave4shmups wrote: Gotcha. I wonder if more expensive 3DO games like this were just produced in limited quantities? That, for example, is the issue with the high prices on a lot of Japanese Megadrive games.

Gir Draxa said at one point that Lucienne's Quest was recalled from stores by Panasonic as 3DO was on its deathbed.
Any given reason for this supposed recall?

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:39 am

I have my copy of Lucienne's Quest because my brother got a replacement 3DO that just happened to have the game still in the CD tray about 10 years ago. He was pretty happy with that because he knew the rarity of it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:36 pm

JohnnyDude wrote:I have my copy of Lucienne's Quest because my brother got a replacement 3DO that just happened to have the game still in the CD tray about 10 years ago. He was pretty happy with that because he knew the rarity of it.
That's a sweet deal! :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:51 pm

That's a really nice surprise. If I ever decide to sell one of my consoles, I'll have to stick the most valuable game I have for it in the disc drive before giving it up. (Though I suppose that could be risky...)

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:01 am

So I just beat Lucienne's Quest, and now I'm unhappy that it's over. :(

A good, easy-going game. Too bad it is the only one of its kind on 3DO.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:18 am

Funny, i just started playing it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:46 pm

JohnnyDude wrote:So I just beat Lucienne's Quest, and now I'm unhappy that it's over. :(

That's how I felt when I beat it. I was sad, and wished the game lasted a bit longer.

I've always been jealous of the Japanese 3DO gamers who got Blue Forest Story, Dragon Tycoon Edge, Grand Chef, etc ...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:34 pm

Trev wrote:
JohnnyDude wrote:So I just beat Lucienne's Quest, and now I'm unhappy that it's over. :(

That's how I felt when I beat it. I was sad, and wished the game lasted a bit longer.

I've always been jealous of the Japanese 3DO gamers who got Blue Forest Story, Dragon Tycoon Edge, Grand Chef, etc ...
Me too. I was gutted when I realised it was almost over :)

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:10 pm

By the way, Lucienne's Quest is one of the handful of games that behaves well in the "High Definition" video mode in 4DO/FreeDO. I played all the way through with it.

What was with the pig-riding section? Talk about weird and ultimately pointless.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 am

JohnnyDude wrote:By the way, Lucienne's Quest is one of the handful of games that behaves well in the "High Definition" video mode in 4DO/FreeDO. I played all the way through with it.

What was with the pig-riding section? Talk about weird and ultimately pointless.
Kinda reminded me of a Grunty from the .Hack games. :P

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 am

Theres a complete copy up on evilbay right now for 1,299 obo!
Thats crazy high, fyi I snagged a copy w/o the longbox the other day for $83 bucks (lucky I feel) I was willing to go to $120 and I feel the game is worth $80 disc only,$150-$200 complete w/o long box or $300-400 complete w/long box...but Im no expert
Here to stay.. ;)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri May 11, 2012 2:50 am

$200 is about the top average for a good complete in longbox copy now. It shifts up and down.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri May 11, 2012 10:04 am

1300 dollars is insulting to even ask for...

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat May 12, 2012 9:27 am

Recently Short Warp topped $ 300 in an auction - evilbay is all over the place atm. My boxed Atari 2600 woody went for eighty bucks whilst my loose vectrex topped four hundred!
My copy of tokio autobahn also came inside a "broken" 3do I purchased - the reason it didn't work? The disc had worked loose and jammed the tray - double win!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat May 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Those prices are insane! I never bought a Vectrex online because the shipping cost more than it did!

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat May 12, 2012 10:01 pm

That's nuts. I was able to get my Short Warp for $80 a few months back after a short (no pun intended) bidding war. I wasn't sure if that was even expensive or not, as it hadn't popped up once (to my knowledge) that year prior to looking for 3DO stuff on eBay.

$300 just seems crazy.

PS: There's a copy on eBay right now, along with Flopon World, D's Diner Director's Cut, and a bunch of other Japanese rarities. As much as I'd like to go for the D's Diner, I don't think I can swing it right now. I'm most-certainly keeping an eye on them though to see how high they go.