Putt-Putt Joins the Parade question

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Putt-Putt Joins the Parade question

Post by FrumpleOrz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:37 pm

So I picked up Putt-Putt Joins The Parade yesterday because I am a sad sad dude. It's one that came packed in with the Goldstar model back in the day and I was flipping through the manual and I noticed that it uses a picture of the Goldstar controller, logo and all, instead of the usually more generic but based on the Panasonic model that's in most of the manuals. I was curious if the retail versions of the game had the same controller diagram and if there were any other games that use a Goldstar controller in the manual. Just one of those little curiosity things, you know?

Also, if I ever get stuck and need a walkthrough for this game, I'm gonna lose it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 pm

I just checked, and my Putt Putt manual also shows the Goldstar contoller. We were just talking about Goldstar pack-ins not too long ago, so this is a good observation.

BC Racers & Primal Rage also show the Goldstar controller in their manuals (no surprise as they were both published by them) I'm guessing the other Goldstar games like Defcon 5, and the any Korean titles probably do also. Beyond that I'm not sure.

I love point n' click games, so I think Putt Putt is cute. :wink: I think it uses the SCUMM engine like the classic Lucas Arts graphic adventures.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Yeah, it actually seems like a pretty solid game. I'm by far not who was intended to play it obviously. A mid-twenties unkempt single dude playing Putt-Putt? I might as well buy a windowless van and offer free candy to the neighborhood kids. Either way, it's definitely got Ron Gilbert's touches in it. It's a kid's game but it's also not condescending to the children either. That's actually rather refreshing. It doesn't happen often. I feel the same way about Station Invasion, but I've got some nostalgia for that one.

On an odd note, I think my Putt-Putt disc has a scratch in it or something. I was doing some lawnmowing and when I popped out to get my coin, the voices of the characters became distorted noise and nonsense. It sounded like the Gates of Hell had opened up and unleashed its fury upon poor Putt-Putt. It was like "Game Design by Ron Gilbert and Humongous Studios. All voices recorded by Merzbow."

It became a surrealistic nightmare rather fast. Un Chien Putt-Putt if you will.

MeneGx
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MeneGx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:32 am

Sorry for the offtopic but does any one remember the name of the Putt Putt game that was handed out with cereal boxes? I remember that around 98 or 99 they were handing out demos of a Putt Putt game and Heart of Darkness when you bought cornflakes. Both in Europe and America apparently

Are there any other point and click games for the 3DO?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:43 am

MeneGx wrote: Are there any other point and click games for the 3DO?
Several actually (to varying degrees)

Daedalus Encounter
Dragon Lore
Hell
Lost Eden
Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes :D
Myst
Snow Job

Probably others, but those are some off the top of my head. It's one of my favorite genres.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

MeneGx
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MeneGx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:12 am

Trev wrote: Several actually (to varying degrees)

Daedalus Encounter
Dragon Lore
Hell
Lost Eden
Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes :D
Myst
Snow Job

Probably others, but those are some off the top of my head. It's one of my favorite genres.
I got Myst on Jaguar CD and I was planning on buying Lost Eden for the CD-i. If the 3DO version isnt significantly better than it, I will rather take the CD-i version as it lacks games and I need to some how justify owning one :D

Can you give short descriptions of the rest of those games? I havent played much of point and click games. As much as I like cheesy FMVs and impressive 1990s animated graphics, I first and foremost am looking for games with visually pleasing cartoony Sam and Max-esque 2D look. But Im cool with athmospheric, relaxing and even surreal games like Lost Eden, Myst etc with distant tropical locations, green hills, forests, old ruins and little to no human interaction.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 am

Lost Eden of the Cd-i is actually a bit better than the 3DO one imho. Thanks to the DVC, the Cd-i version has cleaner visuals. Load times are a bit sporadic, but I still give it a slight edge over the 3DO port.

Daedalus Encounter - Myst in Space. Some puzzles, some talking, lots of gorgeous eye candy.

Dragon Lore - Somewhat similar to Lost Eden actually in terms of story, visuals, etc ... First 2/3 of the game has lots of talking to different characters, mild puzzles, traversing graphically varied lands, etc ... Last 1/3 is confined to the same locale, eliminated most of the talking, and ups the puzzles considerably.

Hell - There was a fairly recent thread on this one actually, can probably do a better job explaining it than me.

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - Out of alll the 3DO choices, this is the most like the Lucas Art adventures (like Sam & Max) It doesn't have cartoony visuals, but it has a very similar command window, and is very much in the styke if the late 80's/early 90's classics. A wonderful game imho.

Snow Job - Good story with unique visuals (you can pan 360 degrees) It is all fmv, but it does a real good job of immersing you imho. If you don't mind the more adult themes, and the stiffer difficulty (time limits for instance) you might dig it.

Hope this helps. :)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:29 am

Trev wrote:Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - Out of alll the 3DO choices, this is the most like the Lucas Art adventures (like Sam & Max) It doesn't have cartoony visuals, but it has a very similar command window, and is very much in the styke if the late 80's/early 90's classics. A wonderful game imho.
Do you know if this is the same one that came out for the Sega CD as well?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:48 am

Austin wrote:
Trev wrote:Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - Out of alll the 3DO choices, this is the most like the Lucas Art adventures (like Sam & Max) It doesn't have cartoony visuals, but it has a very similar command window, and is very much in the styke if the late 80's/early 90's classics. A wonderful game imho.
Do you know if this is the same one that came out for the Sega CD as well?
No, it's nothing like the Sega cd/tg-16 versions. Here is a quick Youtube vid from liquidpolicenaut that shows the opening and a bit of gameplay ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUu8npHkZFo

Fabulous story (very true to Doyle) good actors w/fine voice work, terrific art, etc ... just a great example of the genre when it was still well represented. :)

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 pm

If this was Reddit, I would have upvoted all of you by now. Hooray for being a grown man and playing kids games.
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)