A few questions

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

MeneGx
3DO ZERO USER

A few questions

Post by MeneGx » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 pm

So my copy of Gex doesnt seem to work, my FZ-1 opens the tray after a few seconds of trying to read it and my FZ-10 just wont start it.I dont want to buy another copy of it since I already have the case, original game cd and manual so Id want to know what kind of CDs I need for burning 3DO back ups? Ive heard about certain CD types harming Dreamcast etc older condoles. The copy doesnt seem to be that scratched, atleast no major deep scratches. I have tried the toothpaste trick on a broken PS2 game once and it didnt work. Should I try that, or are there any other tips how to make CDs work again?

Second question. I couldnt find any boxed copies of Slayer so I bought just the game CD with the manual. The game CD doesnt have any cover art. Is it supposed to be like that? I would like to find printable covers for the CD case or the original box for this great title and I doubt any one here has any loose Slayer boxes lying around :P Willing to pay for one though if any one has one to spare.

Third and final question. Ive been running my Japanese 3DOs through a 220V-240V to 115V step down converter, is this dangerous? I keep regular breaks to make sure that neither the step down converter nor my 3DO gets overheated and I havent had any problems so far, the console has never even got warm, but I would like to know if the extra 15 volts are a threat to the insides of my 3DOs? I have read that some times its better to give some extra voltage to an electrical appliance. I couldnt find a 230V to 100V step down converter so Im using the 115V version.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:23 pm

I don't think the Slayer disc had a front cover. It had one of those longer manuals that wouldn't fit in the jewel case. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Yeah, the Slayer manual has far too much info to fit in a standard jewel case booklet.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

MeneGx
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MeneGx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:17 am

Austin wrote:I don't think the Slayer disc had a front cover. It had one of those longer manuals that wouldn't fit in the jewel case. :)
I dont see why they couldnt print individual cover art for the CD cases. Not having end labels sucks!I personally dislike the sort of game manuals that also act as cover art as you have to remove it from the case every time you want to look something up from the manual. Its pretty common among CD-i games.

Do all European 3DO games come in thick double CD cases by the way? My PAL Samurai Showdown and Gex both have thick double CD cases. Its the same thing with PAL Sega CD games. All 3DO games I ordered from the US use normal CD cases.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:28 am

Some games did what you speak of (Wolfenstein 3D, as an example). I agree that it would have been nice, but it's kind of a moot point though considering the jewel case is meant to be housed inside the longbox. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:32 am

It would be nice if there was a thread that compared packaging by regions. A long time back I inquired about pal packaging (although mostly to compare artwork) I only have a few pal releases myself.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

MeneGx
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MeneGx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:39 am

Austin wrote:Some games did what you speak of (Wolfenstein 3D, as an example).
Looks like it was published by Interplay. Alone in the dark and Out of this world had the same thing, both were published by Interplay. I would personally rather avoid long boxes to save space and possibly for the sake of mailing costs, but I will take humongous boxes any day over plain CD cases that dont even have end labels :)