Best versions to collect

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Best versions to collect

Post by prabmire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Hey guys,

I should soon have my 3do and games back in my collection, my games are mixed uk and jp releases all in jewel cases, i was wondering what is the best versions to collect, are the long boxed US games a better version to collect or stick to the more compact jewel cases.

Or should i just buy the games on any of the formats and not worry about the cases

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:56 pm

I like the long boxes seen in the U.S. versions, but they do take up a fair amount of space.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Post by prabmire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Yeah the long box versions look cool! if a long box version of a game is available I tend to buy that but if not I go with a european release, some games arent really playable unless you know japanese!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Personally, if I lived in the UK I would be fine with those versions. They are far more compact, and is it just me, or do they tend to be cheaper (cost less)?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:41 pm

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the long boxes are also hard to get a hold of. My 3DO collection now consists of eight USA releases, not one of which came with the long box. If the PAL versions are more easily found in a complete state (and I can't help but assume they must be), that's something to consider.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Gotta remember too that some titles weren't released in certain regions. The U.S., Japan, even the UK have some exclusives.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 am

longboxes are also fragile and will damage easily compared to UK cases.

I think Euro is the way to go if you have easy access to it. It's the road less traveled too.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:33 am

Trev wrote:Gotta remember too that some titles weren't released in certain regions. The U.S., Japan, even the UK have some exclusives.
What are the UK exclusives? It's something I've been curious about, but have never bothered to ask.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 am

sneth wrote:longboxes are also fragile and will damage easily compared to UK cases.
I can't agree more.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:30 am

I really like the long-box versions myself.

Austin wrote:What are the UK exclusives? It's something I've been curious about, but have never bothered to ask.

Striker World Cup Special is the only UK exclusive. It used to be thought that Defcon 5 was another UK only, but it was also released in Japan.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:36 am

While not "exclusive", the UK version of VR Stalker is supposedly enhanced over the version we got in the States. Odd that they'd bother for a smaller 3DO market when compared to the U.S. & Japan. What are the enhancements? I'm not quite sure ...

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:08 am

Aww man, that's slightly disappointing. I was hoping there would be a real gem that some of us missed out on. :(

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Agree. A futbol game? no...no. I wanted something awesome. Give me Trip Hawkins Crumpet Explosion 4000. You play as Trip and you have to go around ruffling all the royal guards hats in London.
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:20 am

Wait a second... this is probably a stupid question but... European PAL 3DO games will play in an NTSC American 3DO system and look correct on the screen...? That's not possible, right?
"Logic is the ultimate weapon!"

-Prowl (Autobot, Military Strategist)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 am

3DO Experience wrote:
sneth wrote:longboxes are also fragile and will damage easily compared to UK cases.
I can't agree more.
The jewel cases are also easily replaceable. I noticed Wilkinsons, a sort of cheap and cheerful store that sells everything from shampoo to compost to CD cases all at real cheap prices, had some replacement cases i could use.

outrun2sp
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by outrun2sp » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Long boxes is 3DO!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:38 pm

ILUV3DO wrote:Wait a second... this is probably a stupid question but... European PAL 3DO games will play in an NTSC American 3DO system and look correct on the screen...? That's not possible, right?
Actually only a handful of "European PAL 3DO" games don't run on an NTSC system. The discs, for the most part, are fully compatible (some have resolution issues). I know we had a list going that never got finished of the games that didn't work, but I think they were less than or just over ten.

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Now THAT'S interesting. So the majority, or at least, a healthy amount will not have resolution issues? No wavy or scrolling lines when played on an NTSC system hooked up to an NTSC television?
"Logic is the ultimate weapon!"

-Prowl (Autobot, Military Strategist)

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 pm

A lot of the European discs are exactly the same as the American versions of 3do games. bit for bit.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:43 pm

not border for border mind.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:10 am

I can honestly say that as much as I like the cardboard boxes, the UK double jewels are really nice. Very cool stuff. I have Trip'd in there. Very good.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:51 am

T2KFreeker wrote:I can honestly say that as much as I like the cardboard boxes, the UK double jewels are really nice. Very cool stuff. I have Trip'd in there. Very good.
Not to mention that the UK versions often have different (and better) artwork.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:22 am

dont get me started on the better stuff the UK gets over the US especially with dvd extras

just found out on season 8 of stargate sg1 the UK got the full 63MIN episode of "Threads" (we got the chopped 42min made for syndication version) and 4 to 6 more dvd extra featurettes

i am alittle ticked off right now, ill say it again
NEVER BUY ANYTHING WHEN IT FIRST COMES OUT
if i was to buy the box set now everything is fixed and i didnt catch this untill now. i bought this box set in 2005 when it came out, so i cant ask them to exchange the disk now. hell reading stuff online i couldnt have asked for a new one even after i bought it as sony put a 3 month timelimit on requests for the fixed disk

i said fuck it and downloaded the fixed version of it and burned it to cdr and stuck it in the dvd set :P
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:33 am

ILUV3DO wrote:Now THAT'S interesting. So the majority, or at least, a healthy amount will not have resolution issues? No wavy or scrolling lines when played on an NTSC system hooked up to an NTSC television?
Yup, for the most part it's all handled by the system.