Total Eclipse

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Total Eclipse

Post by Martin III » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Finally got to try this game out last night. Two game overs later, I've made it as far as Mission Two. I have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed in that this game is actually a lot less similar to Solar Eclipse than I had thought. Still, it is a fun game. My initial reactions, formatted as pros and cons:

Con - The arcade-y story and cutscenes. While I wasn't expecting a compelling story on the level of Solar Eclipse, I did expect something more than "Aliens are attacking. Go blow this stuff up. ...Good job. No go blow this other stuff up." The absence of live action footage is a disappointment as well, and while this does look amazing for its day, the CG pilots look rather soulless.

Pro - The visuals. This game may not look as good as Solar Eclipse, but it comes impressively close, which means the whole thing is a feast for the eyes. I practically drooled when I saw the first boss; man, I want to fly one of those things. :D Getting special weapons is satisfying just for the eye candy you get when you hold down the fire button. Even the 3D terrain looks pretty stunning.

Con - The controls. As jerky as all get-out, making it an unnecessary pain to target all but the largest enemies. More importantly, you have all those tunnels to deal with, and even the surface has many narrow passages. A rail shooter which requires you to hug walls as much as this really ought to have better control.

Pro - The system of refilling your draining shields by blowing up enemies. This is an unusual concept, and it encourages you to play offensively instead of just bobbing and weaving around whatever comes your way. It also provides a reasonable excuse for blowing up stationary non-hostile targets, which would otherwise be good for nothing but racking up a few extra points. However...

Con - This system dominates the gameplay. Your shields drain too quickly, and combined with the huge boost you get from blowing up just one enemy, this makes getting shot a trivial event. Before long I had learned to ignore enemy fire and just attack anything that can give me a shield boost head-on.

Pro - The enemy designs. Just like in Solar Eclipse, the enemies all look very cool, and each one has a unique pattern of attack. It definitely keeps things from being monotonous.

Con - The music. It just seems like it belongs in a beat-em-up or 1st person shooter, not an on-rails space shooter. It's frustrating that the game has no option to change the volume balance, since the out-of-place blaring guitars almost drown out the sound effects.

Pro - The difficulty level. While I do have a complaint or two here (detailed above), overall Crystal Dynamics have once again proved that they know how to make a game highly challenging yet fair.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Nice post. While I don't neccesarily agree w/everything, it was very detailed and well worded.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:07 am

Wow, I've found most people reverse your last two pro & con.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:53 am

3DO Experience wrote:Wow, I've found most people reverse your last two pro & con.
Yeah, I remember playing this game a couple weeks back and thinking how awesome the soundtrack was. Maybe you gotta have a metal background?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 am

I like the music. For better or worse, lots of 3DO shooters tend to have this style of soundtrack. I don'y think it drowns out the sfx, if anything I think it's the other way around as the steady firing seems pretty loud to me.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:55 am

I didn't mind the music, but it did get old. Nothing really catchy or memorable to me. Fitting, but I didn't want to dig out the tunes after I was done playing. Not that Solar Eclipse was much better in that regard. That game does have more of an "epic" Star Fox kind of vibe though and at least a couple of tracks there were catchy enough to pop into my head whenever I think of the game (Stage 1's theme in particular, which is going through my head at the moment thanks to the thought of it, hehe).

Regarding opposite thoughts, my feelings of the enemy design differ. Every enemy (up to what I've played anyway) looks like it could be a robotic trash can or something. Nothing stand-out or spectacular at all IMO, very generic with little to no personality. Likewise on the gameplay front--very generic with lots of crap on screen, yet there's little rhythm or rhyme to it. It just wasn't very well thought out (if it was, we wouldn't have those tunnel scenes ;)). But yeah, as usual I'll say it was probably amazing in '93, I just think time hasn't been kind to this game. :D

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Austin wrote:Likewise on the gameplay front--very generic with lots of crap on screen, yet there's little rhythm or rhyme to it. It just wasn't very well thought out (if it was, we wouldn't have those tunnel scenes ;)).
I'd agree that the level design isn't nearly as well thought-out as Solar Eclipse, but there clearly was some thought put into it. Right now I'm stuck on the second surface section of Wave 3 of Mission Two (phew!); you have to pass through narrow slots to enter each tiny canyon. The enemies in each canyon have enough firepower to completely wipe out your shields in the two seconds you have before you need to swerve into the next narrow slot, and you have little opportunity to shoot back and thus get a shield boost. Frustrating, but obviously frustrating by design. Then you have parts that are easy but make for a good cinematic experience, like that stretch of tunnel where you just have a bunch of enemies skittering along the floor to deal with.

The music isn't feeling any more appropriate as I go. That saxophone soloing... (shudder)

By the way, is it just me, or does the commander sound awfully snide when he first addresses you as "captain"? I can practically hear him sneering.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:55 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Wow, I've found most people reverse your last two pro & con.
Agreed.

I always like the fact that hitting enemies gave you shields. It sort of drives the game,