Good place to buy a 3DO?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Good place to buy a 3DO?

Post by CJZEPP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Hey im new to forums and I want to get a 3DO, I found some on eBay, but I'm afraid to buy if they don't work any good sites for a 3DO at a good price?
(PS, I would prefer an FZ-1, but any 3DO would do.) :wink:
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Check thriftstores or retro gaming stores if you have any in your area. There are shops out there that sell 3DO consoles, but they usually ask too much in my experience, and ebay would be the better alternative. Just ask the seller if it works, and have them ship insured. If it comes to you in non working order, youre insured. Ive bought 3 3DO systems via ebay (i have 4) and they all worked at the time of purchase. The only one that has failed on me is a Sanyo, and is prolly due to finicky construction and cables on that system, a known issue.

Id recommend looking for the FZ-10, its the one with the least amount of moving parts since its a top loading system. It also has a memory manager accessible without the need for a game or such. Very convenient. The FZ-1 does have a pretty good track record too, but its usually more expensive as well, and does not have the memory manager.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks I tried play n trades near me but couldn't find anything.
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:56 pm

I found one on evilbay for 72.00$ is that good?

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:21 pm

CJZEPP wrote:I found one on evilbay for 72.00$ is that good?
Depends. If it's tested and guaranteed to work it's a nice deal. If it comes with a controller and all neccasary hook ups it's a steal. My FZ-10 has the most basic set-up ever: That 8-Shaped Electrical Port and Composite (Red, Yellow, White) out ports, so no hook ups might not even be an issue if you have that lying around the house. Controllers are pretty easy to find on evilbay too.

Then again what model is it? I highly reccomend either the FZ-1 or FZ-10. The FZ-1 is arguably more collectable and cool but the FZ-10 is a toploader so it's probably more durable and a hell of a lot easier to fix. I would not reccomend Sanyo or Goldstar models for beginners at all because certain games are known to have lag on them, for example I heard Casper was kind of ruined playing on a Goldstar. Get them later if you really find yourself serious about 3DO and collecting.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:26 am

I would not reccomend Sanyo or Goldstar models for beginners at all because certain games are known to have lag on them, for example I heard Casper was kind of ruined playing on a Goldstar.
Seconded. I had a Goldstar model that I bought relatively recently. I really liked it until I was playing PO'ed and it would crash every time it tried to load the level after Power Plant. Then the thing just stopped reading discs like a week or two later.

On the other hand, my FZ-10 that I've had since... 1995 or 1996, I forget exactly, is still alive and kicking. Either Panasonic model for $72 would be a pretty good bet if it's confirmed to work.

I'd also recommend a controller with a headphone jack in it. It may sound a little silly at first but after you play a game with the headphones on, it'll be hard to play games without them. That's my two cents, at least.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:58 am

Thanks all you guys, I'm goin with the FZ-10 for 45$!

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:00 am

0ne more thing are FZ-10 adapters hard to find?
:wink:

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:24 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:
I would not reccomend Sanyo or Goldstar models for beginners at all because certain games are known to have lag on them, for example I heard Casper was kind of ruined playing on a Goldstar.
Seconded. I had a Goldstar model that I bought relatively recently. I really liked it until I was playing PO'ed and it would crash every time it tried to load the level after Power Plant. Then the thing just stopped reading discs.
Yeah, is gold star even a company anymore?!?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:30 am

GoldStar merged with LG. While I don't think they use the name anymore, LG is at least still around.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:48 am

CJZEPP wrote:0ne more thing are FZ-10 adapters hard to find?
I didn't even realize ithe FZ=10 had one that could be detached. The FZ-1 cord is built into the unit
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:31 am

Trev wrote:
CJZEPP wrote:0ne more thing are FZ-10 adapters hard to find?
I didn't even realize ithe FZ=10 had one that could be detached. The FZ-1 cord is built into the unit
FZ-10 Power adapter is just like the same one you get with Saturn, Original Playstation, Dreamcast, it's just a power cord. You might even find a good one at your local Dollar store.

On a side note, just out of knowing, the FZ-1 is much more durable than the FZ-10. FZ-10 is a nice little system, but the FZ-1 is a freakin' tank! I actually accidentally dropped my original FZ-1 down a flight of stairs, and we are talki8ng outside concrete stairs at an apartment complex. I was so scared that the system was dead. I was more than sure it would never work again. Booted right up and worked until the day I sold it. I wish I still had that unit now actually. I have an FZ-1, but still not the first I bought. You could use an FZ-1 as home defense even as it's heavy enough you could knock the Hell out of someone with it. FZ-10, not so much! :lol: Either way you slice it though, Panasonic built an amazing machine that should last you years as long as you take care of it. :mrgreen:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Austin wrote:GoldStar merged with LG. While I don't think they use the name anymore, LG is at least still around.
Actually they didnt merge, they remarketed themselves as LG. Its the very same company. I dont recall where i read it, but the LG name was already part of Goldstar in a slogan or something as well, mightve been on wikipedia. But regardless, its the very same company and not a result of a merging.

As for the OT, FZ-10 for $45 is a good deal, even if its loose. a generic power cable will do fine, and composite cables can be found anywhere.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:58 pm

I think that the first games that I'll get are road rash, wing commander 3 and maybe po'ed

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:08 pm

CJZEPP wrote:I think that the first games that I'll get are road rash, wing commander 3 and maybe po'ed
You dont have to feel like making Po'ed a priority though, its rather awfull. The other to games are pretty much must haves though.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:43 pm

grimm wrote:
Austin wrote:As for the OT, FZ-10 for $45 is a good deal, even if its loose. a generic power cable will do fine, and composite cables can be found anywhere.
Yeah, um can someone tell me what the ad adapter volt is? 6v, 12v? I don't want to fry my 3DO.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:25 pm

It has an internal power adapter, you just need a power cable. its a common 2 plug type cable. http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Power-Cord-C ... 4ab61e727b

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:49 pm

What voltage type is the ac adapter for the FZ-10? 8V? I don't want to fry my 3DO. :cry:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:44 pm

I already told you, its internal, you dont need an external power adaptor. Just get a cable like i showed you.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:31 pm

I think you are confusing him.

The FZ-10 uses your typical power cable of the day like the original PlayStation, Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:56 pm

grimm wrote:I already told you, its internal, you dont need an external power adaptor. Just get a cable like i showed you.
Sorry I accidentally typed up the same thing twice because I forgot to go to page two. I know I'm a noob.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:12 pm

grimm wrote:
CJZEPP wrote:I think that the first games that I'll get are road rash, wing commander 3 and maybe po'ed
You dont have to feel like making Po'ed a priority though, its rather awfull. The other to games are pretty much must haves though.
YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES. PO'ED IS FANTASTIC!

Okay, maybe I was being a little too dramatic. I really really really like PO'ed when it isn't making me do platforming parts. I also played it when I was a kid too, so I got a bit of nostalgia-tinted glasses for it.

To CJZEPP, if you like old-school style FPS games, you'll like PO'ed, I'd wager. I personally enjoy it more than the original PC version of Doom and I think it's worth giving a shot.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:37 pm

FrumpleOrz wrote:
grimm wrote:
YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES. PO'ED IS FANTASTIC!

Okay, maybe I was being a little too dramatic. I really really really like PO'ed when it isn't making me do platforming parts. I also played it when I was a kid too, so I got a bit of nostalgia-tinted glasses for it.

To CJZEPP, if you like old-school style FPS games, you'll like PO'ed, I'd wager. I personally enjoy it more than the original PC version of Doom and I think it's worth giving a shot.
I second this. PO'ed is actually a very cool game. Killing Time is also awesome as well. Awesome stuff for an awesome system. Funny thing too is that I really think the 3DO version of PO'ed stomps all over the Playstation version. I hate the controls in the PS version. WAY too loose.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Yeah how about that realistic jumping.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:19 pm

CJZEPP wrote:Yeah how about that realistic jumping.
Yeah, but still a cool little game. I think the programmers stole the jumping, physics from Virtua Fighter and then sold them to Acclaim for the Turok games.
:lol:

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:28 pm

So anyway my FZ-10 should be coming soon, any suggestions for games other than the ones I listed? Plumbers don't wear ties? :lol:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:11 pm

I stand by my opinion that PO'ed is awful. Its childish and its immature. Pee and Poo type humour is simply not my style. And its a good thing im entitled to my own opinion just like you people are, right?

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 pm

grimm wrote:I stand by my opinion that PO'ed is awful. Its childish and its immature. Pee and Poo type humour is simply not my style. And its a good thing im entitled to my own opinion just like you people are, right?
Of course! More or less, never take anything I say too seriously. I'm usually acting a little childish and silly.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Not a fan of PO'ed here either. I have tried to like it (and I want to), but the framerate makes it more of a hassle to play than not.

Same goes for Killing Time--Great concept, graphics and sounds--but the framerate keeps it from being even remotely enjoyable for me.

Wolfenstein 3D is where it's at if you want a GOOD first person shooter on the 3DO, followed by Escape From Monster Manor.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:24 am

Good news got my 3DO for 30$ thru best offer on evilbay . :D
Also, I wanted to know if the FZ-10 will probably work. The guy said he got it at an estate sale, hooked it up to the tv, and it powered on fine. However he had no games to test it, so it may not work, what do you guys think?