Are the controls for Quarantine really loose, or good?...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Are the controls for Quarantine really loose, or good?...

Post by dave4shmups » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Quarantine looks like a really sweet game, from the footage I've viewed on Youtube, but I've heard that the steering controls are slippery-and that would not be a good thing.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:48 pm

It's a dreadful game. When I played it, I had no real idea what was going on. It was confusing and frustrating at all levels as far as i remember. from concept right through to controlling. really, it was very bad.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:12 am

3DOKid wrote:It's a dreadful game. When I played it, I had no real idea what was going on. It was confusing and frustrating at all levels as far as i remember. from concept right through to controlling. really, it was very bad.
I pretty much agree, although to be fair it has been a long time since I've played the game. That in itself says something though, why haven't I played it in such a long time? It just felt poorly executed imo.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:13 pm

The game has a really floaty feel to it and it can be tricky to get out of crashes or avoiding other cars. I personally really like the game though, and the controls and framerate are things I can look past in it. It seems to be one of those love/hate games for sure. If you can get it at a decent price, I'd say give it a shot.

Worse comes to worst, it's got an awesome mid-90s Australian grunge soundtrack at least.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:38 pm

It's floaty, but all car games were back then. Drives like a floating bumper car.

This is one of my absolute favorite games on the 3DO. Don't listen to the haters. It has some early sandbox features you dont find in games of the time.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:16 am

sneth wrote:It's floaty, but all car games were back then.
Just the bad ones. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:22 am

Trev wrote:
True. With 3DO NFS I swear you can feel the gravel through the controller.

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:29 am

Do you need the instruction booklet for this game? Because it's really cheap without it, and I'm not a collector.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:46 am

dave4shmups wrote:Do you need the instruction booklet for this game? Because it's really cheap without it, and I'm not a collector.
buy it then read the manual on how to play it here :)
http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1228
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Lemmi wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:Do you need the instruction booklet for this game? Because it's really cheap without it, and I'm not a collector.
buy it then read the manual on how to play it here :)
http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1228
OK, thanks for that link!

Speaking of driving games, how well does Megarace control? Because it looks really fun! I've seen footage on Youtube, and it looks like Lance Boyle does a fantastic job! Of, course the driving and shooting controls have to be good.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:53 pm

It controls about as well as any game that only lets you go left and right should (with FMV backgrounds). :P

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm

dave4shmups wrote:
Speaking of driving games, how well does Megarace control? Because it looks really fun! I've seen footage on Youtube, and it looks like Lance Boyle does a fantastic job! Of, course the driving and shooting controls have to be good.
Control isn't an issue imho. Like Austin mentioned though, it is limited by fmv constraints.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Game is still awesome. You guys suck.

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Trev wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:
Control isn't an issue imho. Like Austin mentioned though, it is limited by fmv constraints.
OK, thanks guys, it does look really fun! It's too bad Lance Boyle didn't do any other FMV video games.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:33 am

dave4shmups wrote:
OK, thanks guys, it does look really fun! It's too bad Lance Boyle didn't do any other FMV video games.
There is a pc sequel. If curious, you can get it in a bundle w/the original from gog.com. Haven't played it myself.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:16 am

3DOKid wrote:
Trev wrote:
True. With 3DO NFS I swear you can feel the gravel through the controller.
Compared to NFS, indeed it's pretty bad. But it tries, it really does, and some of that effort comes through. I can honestly see myself getting into it, just the idea of a Neo-Cyberpunk Crazy Taxi (I know it came first :wink:) seems absolutely fascinating and again, you can have some fun with it if you REALLY try. The problem is, given how obnoxiously the game throws you into the environment with no explanation on how the fairly complex mechanics work it deserves to be passed off entirely. Still, probably one of my favorite game boxes of all time.

Apparently this game appeared on the Playstation 1 as "Hard Rock Cab" and the Sega Saturn as "Death Throttle." Damn, now I want an American Sega Saturn! :)

EDIT:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/574096-d ... tle/images

Only in Japan? The world really is a weird place. *Searches on evilbay*

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... n&_sacat=0

Apparently the same situation applies to the PSX version. Did Gametek think Japan was their best market for this kind of crap? :?
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:33 pm

why are people calling this an FMV game?

I originally played this game on DOS, and my main complaint was the lack of instruction as well. That's kind of the point in a sandbox game. Stuff is just too easy now. There was a time where you had to actually read a manual......

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 pm

sneth wrote:why are people calling this an FMV game?

I originally played this game on DOS, and my main complaint was the lack of instruction as well. That's kind of the point in a sandbox game. Stuff is just too easy now. There was a time where you had to actually read a manual......
I think you missed the Mega Race talk above, which is a game with FMV backgrounds. Not Quarantine.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Nobody has mentioned the music in the game, which was the most jarring and irritating part of it for me, or maybe at least the last straw. It was probably the garage bands of folks they knew. This also happened to me with Omikron on Dreamcast.

And I don't usually mind mediocre music in games. I must have a higher standards for band music in that context. Way of the Warrior's music was still fine. Oh, Road Rash music rocked too. I cannot remember any others.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:22 pm

They weren't garage bands.... I actually saw a few of them live in University bars back in the day..... But like all music not to everyone's taste :wink:
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:20 am

If I remember right, the soundtrack was, in my opinion, just too similar (though not as good) to other 3DO games. I think Virtuoso has a similar sound, and I wasn't overly found of it either.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:40 am

rock music in the mid 90's sucked. we know.

Quarantine is awesome forever though.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:56 pm

JohnnyDude wrote:Nobody has mentioned the music in the game, which was the most jarring and irritating part of it for me, or maybe at least the last straw. It was probably the garage bands of folks they knew. This also happened to me with Omikron on Dreamcast.

And I don't usually mind mediocre music in games. I must have a higher standards for band music in that context. Way of the Warrior's music was still fine. Oh, Road Rash music rocked too. I cannot remember any others.
WHAT? REALLY? The soundtrack to Quarantine is awesome, aside from the one sounds like Courtney Love visiting a proctologyst! Driving around and having that stuff blaring during a drive-by is so much fun. It fits the setting really well.

It's like a clip of Mad Max with Johnny Rotten screaming "No future!" over it. I dig it a lot.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:06 pm

FrumpleOrz wrote:
JohnnyDude wrote:Nobody has mentioned the music in the game, which was the most jarring and irritating part of it for me, or maybe at least the last straw. It was probably the garage bands of folks they knew. This also happened to me with Omikron on Dreamcast.

WHAT? REALLY? The soundtrack to Quarantine is awesome, aside from the one sounds like Courtney Love visiting a proctologyst! Driving around and having that stuff blaring during a drive-by is so much fun. It fits the setting really well.

It's like a clip of Mad Max with Johnny Rotten screaming "No future!" over it. I dig it a lot.
I think I know which track you're referring to with the color "Courtney Love" analogy. That would definitely be the one that comes to mind as awful. I probably turned the game off too quickly after that when I tried it again recently.

When I owned it back in the day, I got to act 2 or something but it screwed up on my particular 3DO model.