3DO Rarity list?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

3DO Rarity list?

Post by Dreygor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm

So how accurate is this 3DO rarity list that I found?

http://www.rarityguide.com/3do_view.php ... erPage=100

Sadly it only lists NTSC games :(

I already knew that Dinopark Tycoon and Lucienne's Quest were very rare but I didnt know how rare the others were.
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:02 pm

It's not very accurate. But then again, 3DO stuff fluctuates so much. You might not see a copy of Casper for six months, but then five magically appear at once. It's wonky like that.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Is there any listing that's better to use? Aside from the pricing, I understand that fluctuates allot.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Not really. I don't think a detailed rarity list for the 3DO has ever really been established. Or if one has, it probably hasn't been kept up to date.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:12 pm

I actually just stumbled onto that trying to figure out how rare bust a move / puzzle bobble was and what was a reasonable price. It's not often my wife asks me to find a game she likes to play.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:57 pm

It's probably the best you are going to find, but it has problems.

It's missing some titles, the prices aren't terribly accurate, and the rarity meter seems to follow the selling price of the game a little too closely.
By this last part I mean to say that there are a few games that routinely sell for large amounts of money which are not super rare, and there are a few games that are farily rare which do not command high prices. This fact is not represented well with that guide.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Austin wrote:It's not very accurate. But then again, 3DO stuff fluctuates so much. You might not see a copy of Casper for six months, but then five magically appear at once. It's wonky like that.
It's true.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:11 am

Would you guys want my opinion on this?
I just started collecting maybe in march of this year and have obtained a modest collection so far.I can provide what games I bought, at how much they cost,how difficult they were to find and how many have I seen within the last few months of serious looking.

I think I have about 90+ games,and have many on my radar..I've been researching. :wink:
Here to stay.. ;)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 am

90 games since march? that isnt modest in my book! you are in a hurry indeed.

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:12 am

Yea since you put it that way it does seem kinda like rushing,I'am however use to collecting pricer games so I'm able to splurge some more when it comes to 3DO. :)

I'm actually patient too when making a purchase there has been a few times I let a game slip by just to get lucky and find it cheaper in due time.
The most I dropped on a game was $83 for Lucienne's Quest,then $35 for Virtual Cameraman pt1.The rest were under $30 but compared to most going rates all the games I picked up so far had been the best deals available at the moment.

As for my other systems,I've spent $125 on a mint copy of Popful Mail (over paid) and traded $200 bucks worth of games for Beyond Shadowgate w/poster in complete condition.

(Just to explain my spending habits)
Here to stay.. ;)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Was the Lucienne's Quest loose in jewelcase only, or with manual, or even the box? Personally i have too many systems i collect playworthy games for, so i cant spend even $30 per game for 90 games! I dont even have 90 games for the 3DO, and ive been collecting, although not rabidly, since 96 or so.. I tend to only collect games im actually gonna play through, and hardware. There are lots of missing games for the 3DO in my collection. maybe ill get them one day.

So yeah, your collection so far is pretty impressive to me, given the timeframe you have given.

It is a good policy to have a roof of what you are willing to pay for a game, and to be patient. $125 depends on the system etc for me.. I am unlikely to pay that amount for a snes, sega or jaguar game for example, but i have (Chrono trigger for example). But if i find a good deal on a neo geo aes title, and i have enough to spare, ill go higher. For obvious reasons. Of course, im talking about boxed games, as complete as possible, in very good to near mint condition.

I have other pricey hobbies like cycling (6 bikes, all but one fairly expensive) and airsoft which, airsoft having cost me $4-500 per rifle on average, i have 5 at the moment. The bikes have accumulated over the past 15 years, airsoft the past 2-3. Being as im often unemployed for medical reasons, i never have much to spend on anything. Otherwise i mightve gotten 90 games in a few months too ;) Having said that, i would love to be working more regularly.. It makes the days shorter, and you have less economical worries. Maybe one day.

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:24 am

grimm wrote:Was the Lucienne's Quest loose in jewelcase only, or with manual, or even the box? Personally i have too many systems i collect playworthy games for, so i cant spend even $30 per game for 90 games! I dont even have 90 games for the 3DO, and ive been collecting, although not rabidly, since 96 or so.. I tend to only collect games im actually gonna play through, and hardware. There are lots of missing games for the 3DO in my collection. maybe ill get them one day.

-The LQ has everything but the long box,I near completed most of my other systems collections.I now stick to 20 games per system,give or take.Except for the 3DO because i want to write guides/info for the system so Im going with as much as I can find/afford,and I actually do play everyone of them!

-Also $30 & under is used loosely,many many games have cost me $10 or less with few $30 or higher.

So yeah, your collection so far is pretty impressive to me, given the timeframe you have given.

-Thanks. :D

It is a good policy to have a roof of what you are willing to pay for a game, and to be patient. $125 depends on the system etc for me.. I am unlikely to pay that amount for a snes, sega or jaguar game for example, but i have (Chrono trigger for example). But if i find a good deal on a neo geo aes title, and i have enough to spare, ill go higher. For obvious reasons. Of course, im talking about boxed games, as complete as possible, in very good to near mint condition.

-Im same way but sometimes its hard to resist. :lol:

I have other pricey hobbies like cycling (6 bikes, all but one fairly expensive) and airsoft which, airsoft having cost me $4-500 per rifle on average, i have 5 at the moment. The bikes have accumulated over the past 15 years, airsoft the past 2-3. Being as im often unemployed for medical reasons, i never have much to spend on anything. Otherwise i mightve gotten 90 games in a few months too ;) Having said that, i would love to be working more regularly.. It makes the days shorter, and you have less economical worries. Maybe one day.
-Fortunately I do have steady income,but always have my prioritys straight.I have a music studio that ran me 4G+ so now my fun money goes towards my gaming hobby, however my music is fun but not a hobby more or less a living. :wink:

-I cant wait to share my guides with everyone,I'm doing a hands on approach with very little influence from other crtics.They should provide an unbiased,untainted resource for you guys and I'm sure there will be a few games I'm not keeping so they will end up being for grabs.

EDIT:Oh yea so does anyone wish for me to plop down my spread sheet of recent 3do purchases?
Here to stay.. ;)

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 am

I would be interested just as a reference. Could you also list the condition. IE with box, just CD .. blah blah

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:57 am

Yeah, i never go for complete games list for my collection either. Only games i actually want to play. I think i have about 150-200 games across 9-10 systems.. So considering how many systems i have, my collection isnt huge by any means, but it also only include games i actually have played or want to play. No others.

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:49 am

Dreygor wrote:I would be interested just as a reference. Could you also list the condition. IE with box, just CD .. blah blah
Sure!
I can do completeness,condition of disc,box.etc,availability/rarity,purchase time frame and vendor,shop or store the whole nine yards.
We can see if we can make a complete guide/reference with this.Even though there are some games I may not get doesnt mean I still dont research them and their prices. :)
Here to stay.. ;)

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: 3DO Rarity list?

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:48 am

BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:51 am

"Also - if it comes in a box, it ships in a box! I'm not one of those dumb sellers that ships complete-in-box NES games in bubble mailers. Your item will get there safely."

That seller deserves kudos.

Or maybe not--didn't this disc come housed in a jewel case with a back insert as well? He claims it's "complete", but I don't see said-jewel case.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:04 am

I have that very seem version, and there was no jewel case.

Kudos restored :)

vestcoat
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vestcoat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 am

TEKTORO wrote: -I cant wait to share my guides with everyone,I'm doing a hands on approach with very little influence from other crtics.They should provide an unbiased,untainted resource for you guys and I'm sure there will be a few games I'm not keeping so they will end up being for grabs.

EDIT:Oh yea so does anyone wish for me to plop down my spread sheet of recent 3do purchases?
I'm going to vote no. A noob who just bought ninety games in ninety days is the last person to consult for prices. I don't know whats dumber: that you blew so much money or that you kept track of how much you paid for everything. You sound like an investor, not a gamer.

1) You don't actually know anything, you just bought a bunch of games for whatever the cheapest price happened to be on that particular day. Three months of...uh, "experience"... is far too short a time frame to even out any anomalies.

2) The going rate for 3DO games on ebay/amazon/half/estarland/the Goat Store/etc. is abundantly clear to anyone willing to conduct a few searches. No need to post it here, but thank you, Captain Obvious.

3) Anyone who's grown up with an older console will agree that prices on ebay are insane. New gamers need a sense of history to put the current insanity in perspective, not a snapshot of what some Johnny-come-lately or impulsive Joe Retro-Gamer paid three weeks ago.

4) The more prices are codified, the fewer good deals will be found. Sure, a couple of impatient noobs might get themselves ripped off without the benefit of your divine omniscience, but price guides are a convention of collectors and speculators, not gamers, and they ultimately do more harm than good.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:20 am

Those insults were uncalled for.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:40 am

grimm wrote:Those insults were uncalled for.
I agree.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:57 am

Such anger. I feel that a lack of a rarity / price guide is possible what has lead to the outrageous prices on games like DinoPark Tycoon, Lucienne's Quest, and Lost Eden.

Why not try to guide people in the right direction? Why not help other people? Everyone was a n00b once.

The only real loser of such a concrete list would be those who try to price gouge on evilbay to make a huge profit off selling a complete and factory sealed Lucienne's Quest for $1700 when maybe around $500 would be more reasonable.

On a good note .. i finally got tired of my Goldstar 3DO and managed to pick up a FZ-1 (complete, unboxed, with one controller) and 8 boxed games (Myst, Escape from Monster Manor, Burning Soldier, The Daedalus Encounter, Immercenary, Shockwave 2: Beyond the Gate, Drakon's Revenge, and Space Ace) all for under $70 on EvilBay. I was mostley just after the FZ-1 , games were a bonus! Luckily I didnt own any of those games already. Now to track down that bust a move / puzzle bobble for my wife :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Austin wrote:
grimm wrote:Those insults were uncalled for.
I agree.
Same here.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:10 pm

vestcoat wrote:
TEKTORO wrote: -I cant wait to share my guides with everyone,I'm doing a hands on approach with very little influence from other crtics.They should provide an unbiased,untainted resource for you guys and I'm sure there will be a few games I'm not keeping so they will end up being for grabs.

I'm going to vote no. A noob who just bought ninety games in ninety days is the last person to consult for prices. I don't know whats dumber: that you blew so much money or that you kept track of how much you paid for everything. You sound like an investor, not a gamer.

1) You don't actually know anything, you just bought a bunch of games for whatever the cheapest price happened to be on that particular day. Three months of...uh, "experience"... is far too short a time frame to even out any anomalies.

2) The going rate for 3DO games on evilbay/amazon/half/estarland/the Goat Store/etc. is abundantly clear to anyone willing to conduct a few searches. No need to post it here, but thank you, Captain Obvious.

3) Anyone who's grown up with an older console will agree that prices on evilbay are insane. New gamers need a sense of history to put the current insanity in perspective, not a snapshot of what some Johnny-come-lately or impulsive Joe Retro-Gamer paid three weeks ago.

4) The more prices are codified, the fewer good deals will be found. Sure, a couple of impatient noobs might get themselves ripped off without the benefit of your divine omniscience, but price guides are a convention of collectors and speculators, not gamers, and they ultimately do more harm than good.
Let's not do this again eh?

vestcoat
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vestcoat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 pm

TEKTORO - I'm sorry for what I said. You don't deserve my assumptions and judgements and I regret the names I called you.

I strongly believe that price guides do more harm than good. Even if they did benefit gamers, several years of analysis would be needed to paint any kind of accurate picture.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:19 pm

vestcoat wrote:TEKTORO - I'm sorry for what I said. You don't deserve my assumptions and judgements and I regret the names I called you.

I strongly believe that price guides do more harm than good. Even if they did benefit gamers, several years of analysis would be needed to paint any kind of accurate picture.
You do have a point. The prices on eBay are no measure. What people ask, is not necessarily what people pay.

That said, you should never pay more than £7 for a copy of Powers Kingdom and you won't pay less than £100 for Dino Tycoon.

I'd like to see a price guide. A least it would give us something to bicker about :)

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:25 pm

As I pointed out in my first post. Such a guide already exists so I guess the damage is done. At this point maybe we as a community should conduct damage control and figure out what is right and wrong (or more accurate).

We could use his spreadsheet as a starting point to include those individuals that have been on the scene since the beginning like 3DO Kid, Bitrate and the rest of the gang.

It wouldnt just be his input it would be all of our colective knowledge built apon what he started.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Dreygor wrote:As I pointed out in my first post. Such a guide already exists so I guess the damage is done. At this point maybe we as a community should conduct damage control and figure out what is right and wrong (or more accurate).

We could use his spreadsheet as a starting point to include those individuals that have been on the scene since the beginning like 3DO Kid, Bitrate and the rest of the gang.

It wouldnt just be his input it would be all of our colective knowledge built apon what he started.
Community projects don't work. Trust me on this.
Do it all yourself, then we can all bicker about it later, get jaded, and do nothing.

Cynical? Moi?

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:11 am

No offense taken everyones entitled to an opinion, respect to those who defended me.To set the record straight Ive been playing games since 1986 and up till recent am still playing retro games on my own free will.

So what if I bought/buy alot of games,I can do that.Not only that Im a 30 year old man who knows how to enjoy my life (family,work,etc) and when I chose to do something I dont half fast it (I get obsessive maybe:shrug:).

I do this shit out of fun, and since theres a community out there its even better to contribute, honestly though I naturally am a gamer and have played and beaten hundreds of games Ive been doing this my whole life.If no one wants to hear a noobs ( :roll: ) "opinion" thats fine but to bash or doubt something without knowing is kinda lame.Everyone should feel encouraged to to have an input an be involved with a sense of community.

I'll scrap the spread sheet,but thats not because its useless information or cause Iam inexperienced.
Here to stay.. ;)

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:36 am

TEKTORO wrote:So what if I bought/buy alot of games,I can do that.Not only that Im a 30 year old man who knows how to enjoy my life (family,work,etc) and when I chose to do something I dont half fast it (I get obsessive maybe:shrug:).
I think several people here can relate to the obsessive nature of it, myself included. I have no doubt someone would find it utterly disgusting how many games I have acquired these last three years since I have gotten back into console gaming. A lot of it is simply because I get obsessive and don't realize to stop myself until I've already gone way too far with it.