Box Spine Scans

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Box Spine Scans

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:08 am

After talking with and asking permission from 3DO kid. I am posting here asking for the communities help. I have spoken with a few of you in PMs and some are willing to help and I thank you for that.

I am working on a emulator front end called HyperSpin. Specifically I am working on the 3DO part of it. We are in the process of putting together the CD and Box artwork. I have just about all of the box covers but what I am missing are the spines and CD scans. The box fronts combined with the spines enable to me create a 3D image of the box.

To that end I am asking for people to please PM me if you have clear hi-res pictures or scans of long box spines and/or CD scans you would like to contribute.

If so please PM me.

In the meantime here is a badly done (being my first ever) youtube video of the front end. Basically you scroll to the game you want and select it. This is to show off examples of the artwork.

HyperSpin 3DO YouTube video

*********CD/DISC SCANS/PICTURES I NEED*********
Mind Teazzer (USA)
Panasonic Demonstration CD (USA)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Japan)

****SPINE SCANS/PICTURES OF LONG BOXES OR CD INSERTS THAT I NEED (SOME NEED FRONTS AND ARE MARKED)****
20th Century Video Almanac (USA) + Front
Battle Chess (USA)
Mind Teazzer (USA)
World Cup Golf - Hyatt Dorado Beach (USA) +Front
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Japan) (CD insert)

Thank you!!!!!
Last edited by Dreygor on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:45 am, edited 46 times in total.
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:25 am

Are you looking for US games specifically, or are UK and Japanese releases welcome as well? I might be able to make use of my scanner and help out with a few.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:48 am

For now we are working on mostley US releases. However we added japanese and euro games that are in english or can be played without knowledge of a foreign language. eventually I want to make a set of all the releases but that a bit much in the way to try to get at the moment.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:48 pm

I plan on trying to scan a few and send them your way tonight. However, just a thought--I think it might be a good idea to keep a tallied list of what you are looking for here. Maybe if others want to help out, the mods might even be willing to sticky it in one of the forum sections.

Just makes sense to me, as to not do duplicate work, and it will let people know if they can even help out (for instance, they might not have the games you need as your inventory of scans grows). :)
Last edited by Austin on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 am

I guess it fit into the emulator catagory. Since it is front end work.

Also in process of making a better video since the last one was horrible and didnt show half of what it was supposed to.

You guys don't know how much we appreciate this!!!!
Last edited by Dreygor on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:36 am, edited 8 times in total.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:19 am

Cool, cool! I should be able to do Guardian War, Defcon 5, Striker World Cup Special, Iron Angel 1, Crash 'n Burn (long box), Wolfenstein 3D, and a few English-friendly imports (might as well just send them your way for future use while I'm at it). Off-World is a maybe, as my box is in pretty poor shape.

Question though--Do you just need the sides, or the tops and bottoms too? And I am assuming you want both sides as well, in case there are differences between each?

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:25 am

Im very good with Photoshop as long as its hi-res i can fix it.

If you are looking at the front of the box I only need the left spine. For some boxes I need better scans of the fronts but I made note of those. In theory you could stack and scan about 4-5 spines at the same time of the long boxes.

Of the CD style jewelcases if you could scan the insert and the back / spine that would be awesome. Makes for a nice flat workable image when you can scan the whole thing.

Also I got the MUCH improved video up of what I am working on. it's still rough and yes I know crash and burn in the wrong video (its on my todo list).

New YouTube Video!!!

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:11 am

That front-end is amazing. Seeing the 3DO stuff scrolling through, with the discs spinning, is really cool. Makes me want to use a powerful PC for an all-in-one arcade-like setup down the road!

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:47 am

Thank you :)

But most of that is a temp mock-up to show basically how it works. Currently there's a artist on my team that works with Flash and he is redoing the theme to where it will look 100 times better and be animated.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 pm

100 times better? Oh geez, I can't even imagine that, it looks so good right now! :D

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 am

Looks very cool. I wish I had something to contribute, but not only do I not have a scanner, I don't even have any long boxes!

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 pm

I don't know if you're in need or a way of identifying arbitrary files or discs, but would the "game Id" system from 4DO help your efforts at all? I could help you recreate the logic if you're interested.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:03 pm

To anyone that would like to help, but does not have a scanner--stop by your local thrift shops, Goodwills, etc. They always have scanners for dirt cheap. Should be functioning fine, and you can download the drivers from the 'net if necessary. Just make sure you get a USB one. ;)

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Normally I don't like to bump my own posts, but we are down to the final handful of scans/pictures needed.

Most are the very rare that are not exactly easy to get a-hold of. I am begging. Please take a look and send me a PM if you can help out.

Thank you to all that have helped so far!

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:15 pm

I'll see if I can scan a few of the rarer japanese CDs in the next few days.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:12 pm

HUGE update! FUJISAN sent me scans for almost every Japan import I needed !! The only one missing is the elusive Alfred Hitchcock (Can you send me this disc scan pretty please Bitrate?) !!!

Domo Arigato FUJISAN !!!!!!!!!!!!

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Because Alfred Hitchcock is an article not for sale, it is very rare in Japan.

that I discovered it at auction before, but I was not able to buy it because it was 20,000 yen (250 dollars!!)... :(
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Only 9 discs scans and 26 box/case side/spine scans to go! You guys have been great! Please keep them coming!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:16 pm

I will send over a scan of Alfred Hitchcock shortly. I just need to dig it out of its storage box.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm guessing the oldergames versions of icebreaker II, onside soccer, and decathalon are pretty rare also. I'm having a hard time tracking down what I need for those also :(

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:36 pm

They were only DVD covers. If you want the full quality jewel cases let me know. Icebreakers can be found with the game here.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:01 am

I will talk to the rest of the team, but when we talked before they requested/indicated the dvd/bluray sized covers that OlderGames released.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:03 am

Ok had a small update.

At this point even if you can just do hi-res pictures with a camera that would be awesome.

3DO Experience - They want the OlderGames released covers and disc scans.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 am

Oh you bet I'll help. I will be sending over disc scans for:

* Perfect General
* Mathemagics
* Slopestyle

I'll also give spine pictures for:
* all 3 putt putt's
* fatty bear's fun pack
* star fighter
* perfect general
* mathemagics
* slopestyle
* jammit
* life stage virtual house
* flashback
* virtuoso

Good timing! I was just about to sell all these.

Note, some of mine are dented and/or have stickers so someone else may need to fill those slots to get a great scan.

Great project!

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks Johnny! Those were awesome and should work. They might take some photoshop magic. Cute cat btw :)

OK now I definately need your guys help! Apearantly the 50 copies each of icebreaker II, onside soccer and decathalon as released by oldergames are all owned by people on this forum. Can one of you please scan the discs and the insert front and spines for me pretty please :)

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 pm

I am only stating my opinion here and might not reflect anyone elses opinion here...

Due to the sour taste left in many people's mouths by the oldergames fiasco, I personally would not like to see those covers live on in any form. No offense to your project and it's team. Maybe someone else will be kind enough to provide scans. There is really nothing official about those games and some would argue the legality of those games too.

Again, this is just my opinion. I am not meaning to anger anyone here.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Your not angering me at all :) I'm guessing there was some drama in the past. Its cool. We do have pictures of what they look like but they are pretty bad but if need be we can make resonable facimilies based off those. We are just trying to be as thourogh and accurate as possiblle

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 pm

BryWI wrote:I am only stating my opinion here and might not reflect anyone elses opinion here...

Due to the sour taste left in many people's mouths by the oldergames fiasco, I personally would not like to see those covers live on in any form. No offense to your project and it's team. Maybe someone else will be kind enough to provide scans. There is really nothing official about those games and some would argue the legality of those games too.

Hadn't thought about that, but it's a fair point.

Does someone have scans from the GDG release of IB/PS combo?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 am

Trev wrote:
BryWI wrote:I am only stating my opinion here and might not reflect anyone elses opinion here...

Hadn't thought about that, but it's a fair point.

Does someone have scans from the GDG release of IB/PS combo?
I hadn't heard of this situation. I know of Icebreaker 2, though. Anyone have a link where I can read up on this scoop?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 am

I will send you a PM on here.