Nice article on Lucienne's Quest

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Nice article on Lucienne's Quest

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:56 pm

This article is a couple months old, but thought I'd post it. A very good read, the review is nicely detailed, and refreshingly fair & positive. There are comparisons to the Saturn port (3DO seems to fair much better) as well as links to a Gamefan 4 page spread from the mid 90's ... Enjoy! :)

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lucienne/lucienne.htm
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Nice article on Lucienne's Quest

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Trev wrote:This article is a couple months old, but thought I'd post it. A very good read, the review is nicely detailed, and refreshingly fair & positive. There are comparisons to the Saturn port (3DO seems to fair much better) as well as links to a Gamefan 4 page spread from the mid 90's ... Enjoy! :)

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lucienne/lucienne.htm
I read this and loved it, namely because it goes into great detail on the Saturn port, which was hard to find any information about until this article. I disagree with the author and like the graphics of the Saturn version, they certainly aren't better, but it does give a nice, better lighted, more modern, if different look to the game. Since I have a Japanese Sega Saturn, I would go for that version, considering like the author says it's probably cheaper than the American 3DO version, but then again that's not saying much.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=swo ... &_osacat=0

Or hey, maybe it's just one of those never pops up on ebay but when it does it's not that expensive cases. Who knows.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Even the Jap 3DO version isn't that expensive anymore. I haven't read the article yet but looking at the photos the Saturn version does look improved, but I haven't delved into it yet.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 pm

i love their articles. You can spend days on that site

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:56 pm

sneth wrote:i love their articles. You can spend days on that site
I agree. I clicked just for this article, but ended up reading a bunch of others.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Havent read the article yet, but looking at the pictures, the Saturn version looks better graphically.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:17 pm

grimm wrote:Havent read the article yet, but looking at the pictures, the Saturn version looks better graphically.
The Saturn version is definitely better from a technical standpoint, but I think the 3DO version has more character. It has more color and a whimsical style. If they had kept that style with the other Saturn improvements, it would be better. But it looks muted, instead.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Either way, they look significantly different from eachother.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:33 am

Yeah, the Saturn version goes dirt cheap, and I haven't seen the Japanese 3DO version fetching high bids either.

I thought I'd heard the Saturn version has added FMVs - am I misremembering? I definitely have to pick up a copy to check the differences out.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Mobius wrote:
grimm wrote:Havent read the article yet, but looking at the pictures, the Saturn version looks better graphically.
The Saturn version is definitely better from a technical standpoint, but I think the 3DO version has more character. It has more color and a whimsical style. If they had kept that style with the other Saturn improvements, it would be better. But it looks muted, instead.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel too. Evidently the people behind the article felt similar as well, although it all really boils down to a preference in art direction I suppose. From what I got looking at the screenshots though, I definitely prefer the more colorful visuals on the 3DO.

I love this quote ...

"Be under absolutely no illusions with this: the Sega Saturn version looks remarkably awful compared to the 3DO version, despite having more polygons. Quite how Micro Cabin managed to screw this up is anyone’s guess." :P

One thing I really appreciate about this article is that the author didn't just say 'The 3DO graphics are better' but he spent several paragraphs breaking down in specific detail just why he feels that way. Its clear a lot of time, thought, and care went into it.

Oh, and despite not knowing how to read a lick of Japanese, I really wan't one of those strategy guides they show at the end. :wink:

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:22 pm

I want to play this game so bad it hurts. Too bad I don't read japanese and I don't want to apply for a home equity loan.
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)