Night Trap

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 pm

You know what happens when you mention Sewer Shark... right?

WELCOME TO THE SEWERS PUNK!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 pm

BryWI wrote:You know what happens when you mention Sewer Shark... right?

WELCOME TO THE SEWERS PUNK!

How dare you use a screen shot from the inferior Sega CD version! :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm

ban request

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:12 am

"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 pm

I'll be honest here... For nostalgic reasons, I like the Sega CD version more. But this discussion would completely de-rail this thread more so than I already have.

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:00 am

Im a 80s baby, so this game is primo on my list. More cheese please! :D

On another note once you get the hang of setting off traps and understanding the game it becomes pretty enjoyable. Its worth owning for its cult status or even curiousty sake.

*Night Trap Song is awfully catchy*
Here to stay.. ;)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:17 pm

TEKTORO wrote:Im a 80s baby, so this game is primo on my list. More cheese please! :D
Oh yeah, this is definitely part of the game's appeal for me. Night Trap has a very strong 80s vibe, and may well be the only video game of which this can be said, given the limitations of most gaming hardware prior to the 90s (not to mention the fact that video games tend to ignore contemporary styles and fashion).

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 pm

****WARNING: CONSIDERABLE SPOILERS IN THIS POST****

I got a look at the three Martin-kills-Kelli endings... pretty freaky. Funnily enough, the first one I got by accident. I was relying on my time sheet to know when to switch in and help Kelly, and I was off by a few seconds on the trap-Sheila time.

I also found the Auger in the Living Room who eludes the trap. That gave me quite a good chuckle. :lol:

Does anybody know if it makes any difference whether you trap Jeff or not? I tried seeing what happens if you miss him, and he walks into the trap himself after knocking out the SCAT agent. Can he show up at the end still? Will missing him keep you from scoring a perfect ending?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Martin III wrote:****WARNING: CONSIDERABLE SPOILERS IN THIS POST****

I got a look at the three Martin-kills-Kelli endings... pretty freaky. Funnily enough, the first one I got by accident. I was relying on my time sheet to know when to switch in and help Kelly, and I was off by a few seconds on the trap-Sheila time.

I also found the Auger in the Living Room who eludes the trap. That gave me quite a good chuckle. :lol:

Does anybody know if it makes any difference whether you trap Jeff or not? I tried seeing what happens if you miss him, and he walks into the trap himself after knocking out the SCAT agent. Can he show up at the end still? Will missing him keep you from scoring a perfect ending?
I think (though am not 100% certain) that the only way Jeff will show up towards the end, is if you don't protect the girl that he seems to like (forget her name)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I didn't think Jeff liked any of the girls. Are you sure you don't have him confused with Tony?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Martin III wrote:I didn't think Jeff liked any of the girls. Are you sure you don't have him confused with Tony?
I am confused, lol. :P

Ok, it's been a while since I played Night Trap so this could be wrong also. But I think Jeff attacks the taller girl (forgot her name too) If you don't rescue her in time, he'll show up later ...I think.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Trev wrote:
Martin III wrote:I didn't think Jeff liked any of the girls. Are you sure you don't have him confused with Tony?

Ok, it's been a while since I played Night Trap so this could be wrong also. But I think Jeff attacks the taller girl (forgot her name too) If you don't rescue her in time, he'll show up later ...I think.
Ah... it's becoming clearer...

First off, last night I played the game again and managed to located the last two augers I've been missing. Yay me! But even though I caught all the augers and all the Martins, I still didn't get the perfect ending. I think you've given me a clue as to why.

I haven't seen Jeff attack anyone until he emerges during the interrogation scene. I trapped him then, but it's not hard to see why this isn't considered ideal: the SCAT agent is trapped with him. My initial thought was that you're supposed to let him beat the agent and walk into the trap himself, but this doesn't seem ideal either. It makes more sense that the best course would be to trap him before he gets to the living room at all.

Now I just gotta figure out when and where this attack takes place, and I should be able to reach the perfect ending at last!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Martin III wrote:
Trev wrote:

Ah... it's becoming clearer...

First off, last night I played the game again and managed to located the last two augers I've been missing. Yay me! But even though I caught all the augers and all the Martins, I still didn't get the perfect ending. I think you've given me a clue as to why.

I haven't seen Jeff attack anyone until he emerges during the interrogation scene. I trapped him then, but it's not hard to see why this isn't considered ideal: the SCAT agent is trapped with him. My initial thought was that you're supposed to let him beat the agent and walk into the trap himself, but this doesn't seem ideal either. It makes more sense that the best course would be to trap him before he gets to the living room at all.

Now I just gotta figure out when and where this attack takes place, and I should be able to reach the perfect ending at last!
I don't think you can trap Jeff prior to the living room scene ... I think you have to do it when he's grappling w/the SCAT agent. You can time it so only he gets caught and the SCAT officer avoids it.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:28 am

I saw the perfect-game ending and thought it was a nice touch.

I can't say I really earned it. Night Trap is a lot easier with emulator save states!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Trev wrote:I don't think you can trap Jeff prior to the living room scene ... I think you have to do it when he's grappling w/the SCAT agent. You can time it so only he gets caught and the SCAT officer avoids it.
Hmm... I had actually tried this before and couldn't find a point at which it was possible. Guess I'll have to look again...
JohnnyDude wrote:I saw the perfect-game ending and thought it was a nice touch.

I can't say I really earned it. Night Trap is a lot easier with emulator save states!
Definitely. I remember how shocked I was to learn that the PC version of the game actually has a save function; surely that completely breaks the gameplay?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Martin III wrote:

Definitely. I remember how shocked I was to learn that the PC version of the game actually has a save function; surely that completely breaks the gameplay?
How does the save function work? Can it be used at any time, or is it limited?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Trev wrote:
Martin III wrote:

I'm not sure; I've only heard about it, not actually played it. But I assume it can be used at any time, since I can't imagine how they would limit it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Martin III wrote:
Trev wrote:
Martin III wrote: Definitely. I remember how shocked I was to learn that the PC version of the game actually has a save function; surely that completely breaks the gameplay?
I'm not sure; I've only heard about it, not actually played it. But I assume it can be used at any time, since I can't imagine how they would limit it.
I thought maybe every time they changed the security code or something ... I agree w/you that a save any time function would pretty much make the gameplay seem broken. I suppose you could make self imposed limits ...

The pc version also allows you to pause the game. I think it has a making of documentary too. Maybe it's the definitive version?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Wow, a thread on Night Trap that is nearing the third page. I'm impressed!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Austin wrote:Wow, a thread on Night Trap that is nearing the third page. I'm impressed!
Well "3DO has nothing but fmv games" so what else are we gonna talk about. :wink:

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Trev wrote:
Austin wrote:Wow, a thread on Night Trap that is nearing the third page. I'm impressed!
Well "3DO has nothing but fmv games" so what else are we gonna talk about. :wink:
Supreme Warrior, of course! ;)

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Austin wrote:
Trev wrote:
Supreme Warrior, of course! ;)
Ugh.

3do Night Trap used a save file to transfer from CD1 to CD2. Could that be used to "save" your progess? It would at least know how many augers you took down. I didn't bother to check on whether the game deletes the save file or not.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 pm

I think it does, since once you finish Disc 2 the "Insert Disc 1" message comes up.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Martin III wrote:
Trev wrote:I don't think you can trap Jeff prior to the living room scene ... I think you have to do it when he's grappling w/the SCAT agent. You can time it so only he gets caught and the SCAT officer avoids it.
Hmm... I had actually tried this before and couldn't find a point at which it was possible. Guess I'll have to look again...
Woo-hoo! I did it! 8) Thanks for the tip, Trev! Man, was it satisfying to see that.

Unfortunately, it happened on a run where I had already missed an auger. Ah well, just have to run it through again to get that perfect ending. The nice thing about Night Trap's brevity is that it's not frustrating having to get back to where you were before.
JohnnyDude wrote:Ugh.

3do Night Trap used a save file to transfer from CD1 to CD2. Could that be used to "save" your progess? It would at least know how many augers you took down. I didn't bother to check on whether the game deletes the save file or not.
I tried this out, and confirmed that it doesn't work. Meghan was about to get her blood sucked on Disc 2 so I restarted my 3DO, and it just said to insert Disc 1. So yeah, it would seem the 3DO version deletes the save as soon as Disc 2 loads its first scene.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:24 am

Awesome! Glad you beat it. :)

therealmogwai
3DO ZERO USER

Post by therealmogwai » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 am

i love night trap..
and the majority of digital pictures games
but what do i know

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:36 pm

therealmogwai wrote:i love night trap..
and the majority of digital pictures games
but what do i know
I liked them too. I don't think Night Trap was their best effort, i preferred Corpse Killer which is a surprising ignored, but surprisingly good B-Movie Zombie game. It was slammed because it was an FMV game and it was kind of cool to slag off FMV games at the time, but the production values are very high. If Digital Pictures set out to create a B-Movie ZOmbie (which they did, because I had some contact with the original maker) then they nailed it.

therealmogwai
3DO ZERO USER

Post by therealmogwai » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Man i wish they released double switch and ground zero texas on 3do
Wonder if there are an plans to reissue those games ? I was happy when they reissued the american lazer games a few years back

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Still struggling to get that perfect ending. You'd think it'd be easy to nail all the vampires given that I've done it before and I have a notebook with the exact time and location where each one needs to be trapped, but no.

On the plus side, on one of my failed attempts I decided to let Cindy get caught and finally see what happens when you do so. That was one of the game's more entertaining clips. I love the way Jeff hikes up his pants. :lol: The actors were clearly enjoying themselves with Night Trap.
3DOKid wrote:I liked them too. I don't think Night Trap was their best effort, i preferred Corpse Killer which is a surprising ignored, but surprisingly good B-Movie Zombie game. It was slammed because it was an FMV game and it was kind of cool to slag off FMV games at the time, but the production values are very high. If Digital Pictures set out to create a B-Movie ZOmbie (which they did, because I had some contact with the original maker) then they nailed it.
Corpse Killer??? Ick. I can't imagine how anyone would like that one. Both the gameplay and cutscenes are mind-numbingly repetitive, even in the Saturn version.
therealmogwai wrote:Man i wish they released double switch and ground zero texas on 3do
Wonder if there are an plans to reissue those games ? I was happy when they reissued the american lazer games a few years back
Good question. Who owns the rights to Digital Pictures' games now that Cyber Cinema has gone under?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:55 pm

I liked Corpse Killer too. Good atmosphere, and excellent control.