Killing Time vs. Escape from Monster Manor

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Killing Time vs. Escape from Monster Manor

Post by ILUV3DO » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 am

How would you say the frame rate compares between Escape from Monster Manor and Killing Time?

Is Killing time more laggy? If so, by how much?

I was playing KT today and the frame rate seemed borderline unacceptable to me. I know there is ALOT more going on technically in KT than in EFMM and maybe I am being too critical but I wonder if any of you have noticed the same thing.
"Logic is the ultimate weapon!"

-Prowl (Autobot, Military Strategist)

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:04 pm

This framerate was acceptable for the times. EFMM is way less technical.

I'm surprised people...were suprised by how well Wolfenstein ran. That game was ancient by the time 3DO even came around.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:06 pm

IMO, the framerate in Killing Time was bad even for the time. As much as I have tried, I cannot play the game. There are points where it literally dips to about two frames per second. It's bad.

Escape From Monster Manor on the other hand, it is very brisk and still holds up well today in that regard.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:59 am

I haven't had any really really low frame rates in KT on an actual 3do. It is choppy though. I find that after about 15 mins or so I get used to it. I have beaten the game a few times.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:58 am

When KT was new it looked fine but I always had issues with the controls. It's def showing it's age, but on 4DO it's is as smooth as butter. EfMM is still nice to this day, def less choppy than KT, but they are both great games.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:10 pm

sneth wrote:I'm surprised people...were suprised by how well Wolfenstein ran. That game was ancient by the time 3DO even came around.
You're confusing Wolfenstein 3D with the original Castle Wolfenstein. Wolfenstein 3D was released barely a year before the 3DO.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 pm

3DO Experience wrote:When KT was new it looked fine but I always had issues with the controls. It's def showing it's age, but on 4DO it's is as smooth as butter. EfMM is still nice to this day, def less choppy than KT, but they are both great games.
Smooth as butter on 4DO? Well then.. This might be my ticket to finally enjoying this game. I really like the atmosphere, visuals and the integration of the story into the environment, but the framerate is so bad I have to stop once I'm inside the mansion.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:01 am

Turning up the cpu clock speed in the advanced tab of 4DO options will make the game run even smoother if you have the processor for it. 4DO does not currently make use of multi-core processors though so it could easily max out the current thread used emulating a game like KT. It does look quite nice with the double resolution renderer too, but of course it costs processing power.