Light gun recommendations?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Light gun recommendations?

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 pm

I've been starting to think about what model light gun I should get for my 3DO. Besides technical issues such as accuracy and cord length, I'm concerned about style, since the light gun I usually see pictured with the 3DO is an imitation old West revolver. Nothing bad about that of itself, but since the two 3DO light gun games I'm interested in are Demolition Man and Space Pirates, I'd prefer something with a futuristic or at least modern look.

But I really know very little about what light guns are available for the 3DO. So, suggestions?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 pm

If you want a modern look, Crime Patrol & Drug Wars fit the bill. Though neither are as good as the games you already mentioned.

Corpse Killer is also set in modern times, although the look of the locales isn't always modern. Still a good game, and better than many of the ALG games imo.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:19 am

I believe he's actually asking about the gun it's self. Sorry but the only style is the revolver.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 am

3DO Experience wrote:I believe he's actually asking about the gun it's self. Sorry but the only style is the revolver.
Is there only one brand? I ask because the "official" gun is so expensive.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:28 am

3DO Experience wrote:I believe he's actually asking about the gun it's self. Sorry but the only style is the revolver.
Ah, misread the post. :oops:

Yep, there is only one model available.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:26 am

Bummer. I can understand why that model - after all, American Laser Games put out several games with historical settings for the system - but it seems odd that no one at 3DO or Panasonic thought to put out a 3DO light gun.

Still, so long as it works!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:10 am

Martin III wrote:Still, so long as it works!
Not well. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 am

3DO Experience wrote:
Martin III wrote:Still, so long as it works!
Not well. :lol:
You really think? I've always thought it worked well.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:30 am

I've had more accuracy problems than not.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm

It worked great with some TVs... others not so much. It also depends on the game too. Some of the games came from the laserdisc arcade systems that had pretty huge monitors. You shrink that down to your normal size TV, some of those targets are kind of small. Not all of the 3do gun games had problems with small targets, but some of them did... and it was annoying.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:32 pm

As I was reflecting on the answer I received above, a thought struck me.

The 3DO's only light gun was from American Laser Games, right? And American Laser Games are a USA company that did only North American releases, right? So no light gun was released for the 3DO in Japan, right? Yet Policenauts, a Japan-only game, has light gun support, right?

Tell me which part(s) of the above train of thought are wrong. I know at least one must be, because otherwise that would raise the question: Were Konami expecting Japanese gamers to import ALG's light gun, or North American gamers to import Policenauts?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Perhaps Konami thought Japanese gamers would use the 3DO mouse? Don't know, but the light gun section in Policenauts isn't that big if I recall right. Really not sure ...

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm

So light gun compatibility is tied to mouse compatibility?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Martin III wrote:So light gun compatibility is tied to mouse compatibility?
Not sure exactly what you mean, but most of the light gun games also support the 3DO mouse. I wouldn't say its a preferable option, but it's certainly better than a standard controller.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Martin III wrote:So light gun compatibility is tied to mouse compatibility?
No. It's not like the CD-i.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:59 am

...I don't know why I just thought to ask this now, but roughly how much should I be paying for the ALG gun? I've been checking out completed Ebay auctions, but the gun doesn't get listed that often, and the few I've seen vary wildly in their final price.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 am

Probably somewhere in between those wildly varying prices. ;)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Austin wrote:Probably somewhere in between those wildly varying prices. ;)
Lol.

You can probably get a loose gun for less than $50. The price will spike though depending on if it's a 2 player model, has it's box, etc ... it could be almost double the price of a loose one.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Trev wrote:You can probably get a loose gun for less than $50. The price will spike though depending on if it's a 2 player model, has it's box, etc ... it could be almost double the price of a loose one.
Thanks! It looks like I may indeed be getting one for well under $50 soon... fingers crossed.

By the way, check out the deal someone got here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DO-Light-Gun-D ... true&rt=nc I considered bidding on the lot, but since the gun is untested and the only one of the games I was really interested in is Space Pirates, I figured some other bidder would probably appreciate it a lot more than me. Nice to see that the winning bidder got a good investment at the absolute least!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Martin III wrote:
Trev wrote:You can probably get a loose gun for less than $50. The price will spike though depending on if it's a 2 player model, has it's box, etc ... it could be almost double the price of a loose one.
Thanks! It looks like I may indeed be getting one for well under $50 soon... fingers crossed.

By the way, check out the deal someone got here: http://www.evilbay.com/itm/3DO-Light-Gu ... true&rt=nc I considered bidding on the lot, but since the gun is untested and the only one of the games I was really interested in is Space Pirates, I figured some other bidder would probably appreciate it a lot more than me. Nice to see that the winning bidder got a good investment at the absolute least!
Wow, that's an incredible deal! Free shipping too. :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 am

Nabbed a loose one-player Gamegun for less than $40, so I'm happy. So long as it works, and the seller has play-tested it.

And now, since you're all probably used to me asking odd questions at this point: I was looking over Lemmi's scans of the Corpse Killer manual and couldn't help but notice that it makes no mention of the light gun. 3DO Corpse Killer does support the light gun, doesn't it? If so, why doesn't it give any instruction on its use? :?:

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:46 am

Man, I wish Lethal Enforcers was ported to the 3DO. The platform surely would have made for a sweet port, and a really good reason to have the gun. :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:00 am

Martin III wrote:And now, since you're all probably used to me asking odd questions at this point: I was looking over Lemmi's scans of the Corpse Killer manual and couldn't help but notice that it makes no mention of the light gun. 3DO Corpse Killer does support the light gun, doesn't it? If so, why doesn't it give any instruction on its use? :?:
So... no one knows whether or not Corpse Killer actually supports the light gun? I could have sworn there were a couple Corpse Killer lovers on here.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:32 am

Sorry, must have missed that. Yes is does support the gun.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks. Yeah, in retrospect I probably could have made it a bit clearer that that wasn't a rhetorical question.