Most disappointing game?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Most disappointing game?

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:24 pm

It's not unfair to say that the 3DO had number of disappointing titles. Which was your most disappointing title?

I don't think "Plumbers don't wear ties" qualifies, as it never really was on my must have list at the time but...:

- VR stalker. Ace Combat this was not, although in my dreams it was.
- Doom. I hated Doom (back then) but I hoped it would be 3DO's Killer App. It wasn't.
- Quarantine. I didn't know what it was. I played it. I stil didn't get it, but ooh, it looked exciting. UNtil you played it obviously, then it was a cack-handed mess.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Rail shooters in general like Microcosm.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:42 pm

For me it has to be VR-Stalker :( so much promise and such a crap game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:17 pm

I too agree w/VR Stalker. Some others that came to mind were BC Racers, Creature Shock (had a lot of potential, but the controls suck!), Johnny Bazookatone (for broken collision detection) Mad Dog McCree (game is solid but 3DO port is terrible) and Phoenix 3 for so many missed opportunities. All of them were games I really wanted to enjoy, and games that held promise, but they couldn't put it together for various reasons.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:37 am

Alone in the Dark 2, obviously because of the dramatic shift from the first. I still like it, though, after getting over the ol switcharoo.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:42 pm

There are a few titles I want to name, but I would be lying if I mentioned anything other than DOOM. With the music and the overall quality of the visuals, the 3DO version had the potential to be the best home port available. But the framerate and the random pausing.. Ugh. Such a disappointment. :(

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:33 pm

JohnnyDude wrote:Alone in the Dark 2, obviously because of the dramatic shift from the first. I still like it, though, after getting over the ol switcharoo.
high five - i missed that one. yes, massive disappointment. The original was a thing of beauty and genius, the sequel was made by a committee of sub-intelligence middle managers.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 am

3DOKid wrote:high five - i missed that one. yes, massive disappointment. The original was a thing of beauty and genius, the sequel was made by a committee of sub-intelligence middle managers.
Agreed.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 am

I think that I am Montana Jones.
Speaking frankly, it was a childish trick.
(In a Japanese game magazine, it was criticized severely in particular before.)
As for the game that Tsuyoshi Takashiro(沢尻エリカの旦那) made, all picture was splendid, but the game contents were only the lowest things.
チキチキマシン猛レース、マカロニほうれん荘インタラクティブ・・・

>3DO KID
Quarantine!!
I had difficulty in even running straight a car first.
However, I was stubborn and continued playing! :twisted:
And I cleared it!

I wanted to praise oneself by oneself. :)
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:29 pm

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME(S)...
without doubt for me has to be:

Rise of the Robots - love 2D fighting games (preferred genre) and this one dressed itself up to be something real special. Talk about a grand non-delivery on every level.

Off-World Interceptor - nothing too OTT to discuss. Looks cool on the screenshots, but aside the amusing FMV sequences, this didn't fulfill my personal expectations of cool.

Flying Nightmares - Again, I like 3D arcade flight sims (F22 & LHX on MD, Ace Combat series etc) but this is just a an exercise in pure pain.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Rise of the Robots, i remember being so excited about that game. all the hype at the time, all the innovation it promised etc.. Then it was released on pretty much all consoles and computers you could ever think of and you realized they spent more energy porting the game than actually making it. I ended up never playing it after being discouraged about it, every single port receiving scandalously bad reviews.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME(S)...
without doubt for me has to be:

Off-World Interceptor - nothing too OTT to discuss. Looks cool on the screenshots, but aside the amusing FMV sequences, this didn't fulfill my personal expectations of cool.
2 player mode is pretty good if you get a chance to try it out. Otherwise I tend to agree, I found OWI very disappointing also.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:54 pm

I got a tie. DOOM was a total mess. Made me so sad because the soundtrack was amazing. Rise of the Robots, man, what a piece of crap. The music by Brian May was excellent. Then again, there was also Shadow, War of Succession. That was just horrid as all Hell.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!