Edge Magazine - Need for Speed Review

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Edge Magazine - Need for Speed Review

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:28 pm

I remember reading this way back in December 1994. The scan is from that actual magazine. I sat in the shared house (i was a student) and bickered with my house mates about the Jaguar, 3DO and PSX. Almost 20 years ago now.

Image[/img]

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:34 pm

This review always made me cross. 8 out of 10? Really?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Indeed, a couple of the criticisms they make are absurd. "You rarely feel that you're actually taking part in a race, because most of the time your opponent is out of sight." Putting aside the question of why the bolded fact would make you feel that way, how do they expect anyone to fix that problem? Unless they prefer racing games which unfairly (and rather transparently) adjust your opponent's speed and performance so that he always remains just ahead of you until the last stretch of the last lap?

And "the main incentive in racing games - seeing the next level"... what the heck?! Granted, I have virtually no interest in racing games, but somehow I can't imagine this is the chief motivation of people who do. More to the point, I have at least sampled roughly a dozen racing games, including several bestsellers, and every one of them has all their courses playable from the beginning.

The apparent scoring inflation is odd, too. From reading the review, it sounds like a 5/10, not an 8/10.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:58 pm

What do they call that, "Rubber Band AI" I think?

They really got great screenshots of NFS. The game looked so good (still does I think)

So EDGE was Next Generation here in the States ... not sure If I ever knew that before now. Thanks for the scans 3DOKid.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:32 am

I found the 'unable to roam the landscape' criticism pretty hard and indeed the 'not really in a race'comment frankly bazaar.

NFS is the most butt clenching racing game I've ever played. The dull drone of your competitors car, and the cops and the handling are awesome.

And why you would want to go off road in $100,000 sports car? Of cause these were pretty common complaints back in the mid-nineties giving rise to the endless sandbox games.

I'd love a remake of the original for PS3 or Xbox 360.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:48 pm

All agreed , most people just didn't "get" the intended feel of the game - I still play it now and consider it one of the purest and best racing games ever.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG