3DO Time Warner disk

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

3DO Time Warner disk

Post by bitrate » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Here's another odd one that I have never seen mentioned anywhere before.

It's a Time Warner Music Group disk that seems to advertise the various facilities, abilities and attributes of Time Warner.

As can be seen in the pictures below, it comes in the standard 3DO longbox packaging. Even more interesting is that the disk is a fully 3DO authored disk that will play in any retail 3DO console.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:30 am

Very nice! :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:00 am

Wow, never seen this one before! Very impressed with the full packaging. :)

So, any idea what the purpose of this title was? Did Warner use this to attract companies to buy stock in 3DO?

Is there a date anywhere on it? I'm guessing this had to be early in their partnership w/3DO.

I love seeing pics of 3DO things I never knew existed (but now desperately wan't) Thanks for sharing bitrate! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:56 am

It's like a promo disk. Where and when would you use something like that. The assumption being you are selling Time Warner Services to executives with 3DO's...

Some sort of Time Warner / 3DO corporate event?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:56 pm

3DOKid wrote:It's like a promo disk. Where and when would you use something like that. The assumption being you are selling Time Warner Services to executives with 3DO's...

Some sort of Time Warner / 3DO corporate event?
Not sure. The thing is, Time Warner & 3DO had partnered long before the console was released. 3DO already had access to at least some of their services, and Time Warner had a lot of stock in the company. So what would they be selling to 3DO execs? Unless this disc was made available before the initial models were even finished. In which case, I can't even imagine the rarity on this one ...

The thing that really confuses me is the full packaging. Was this an early template for one of the designs that would later be used?

Any more info bitrate?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Well, there are a few dates inside the manual that read 1992, 1993. I might try reading the disk later to see if I can find any dates there.

Those are some really good guesses Trev. I would think, based on the video's on the disk, that you may be correct about the packaging being an early template / example of the packaging that was eventually to be used on most 3DO North American title releases.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:12 am

Most likely a promotions/marketing tool to showcase elements to other arms/branches of Time/Warner and partner companies - an absolute brilliant find - it's unknown stuff like this turning up that makes 3do collecting so rewarding
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG