Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes

Post by zook1981 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 am

Ok I am starting a thread on this game because I absolutely love it and it is my favorite 3DO game. You can tell from my avatar I am a huge fan. I am disappointed this game is never talked about and gets crappy reviews when it is talked about.

The graphics are fantastic, very sharp and very colorful.
The music is fantastic and if it gets stuck in my head I do not mind.
The game is challenging and long. I failed to beat it without a strategy guide.
The accents are awesome, especially the blue collar British accents (U.K. members are probably laughing at me right now).

Anyone else a huge fan of this masterpiece??!! :D Or maybe are there critics?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm a huge fan of The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes! Besides being one of my favorite 3DO games, it's also one of my favorite games in the point n' click (graphic adventure) genre. :)

I love the visuals in this game. I think critics need to look past the fact that they are dated, and focus on the art style. There is an incredible amount of detail drawn in each scene, and the game just oozes atmosphere! It's a joy to arrive at each location and see all the attention and extras a scene packs. It really helps to draw you into the game, and adds an extra level of realism.

The best things about the music is that if fits the game perfectly, and it is varied. You can tell a lot of care went into the soundtrack, and it also helps to draw you into the game with it's period pieces.

The game is challenging! I also had to use a guide, although I do regret it. The thing that makes it fair is, the game really makes you think like Holmes. Since first beating this game back in the 90's, I've read every one of the Conan Doyle Holmes stories. I appreciate how accurate the game is to the character, and how you really need to study the clues, not just click on them once and think you are done with them. A long satisfying adventure.

I think the actors were very good, and certainly a nice addition from the pc version which just used in game graphics and texts with no sound. Again, it adds a layer of immersion. Watson was my favorite, and I swear I recognize his voice from somewhere else.

Some other things I like ...

The game is less linear than other point n' click games. There are a lot of choices in dialouge (which can add a substantial amount to the game depending on what you pick, or what's even available to pick), which location to go to next, even how to solve a puzzle. There is good replay value (especially for this genre) cause you can play through it w/differenet selections and it will effect the way the game plays out. I remember the first time I completed a puzzle with a totally different solution, I was stunned! I won't spoil it, but you can solve the puzzle by being nice (this is a long way that even opens up a new mini game) or you can be a jerk and complete the puzzle quick (sans mini game) Lots of care taken with the choices, and it shows. :D

And I love all the extra real Holmes characters they worked into the game. Wiggins the street urchin, Inspector Lestrade, Toby the dog, etc ... real additions to the story, not just tacked on.

Overall, a stunning game. It was good enough to intoduce and turn me into a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes! 8)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Beautifully put Trev, and I had no idea about the minigame or anything like that :shock: . I can't wait to play it again but I am being weird and waiting until November to play it because the game takes place in November, I know I am a weirdo.
Your assessment of this game was beautifully written, makes want to play it right now. If I was not in the middle of Alone In the Dark.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I never knew (or had forgotten) that the game takes place in November, but that's not a weird reason to wait and play it. I've done the same thing w/the Olympic titles, waiting until summer to break them out. I'm guessing that's why your doing AITD now, with Halloween close.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Trev wrote:Thanks for the kind words. I never knew (or had forgotten) that the game takes place in November, but that's not a weird reason to wait and play it. I've done the same thing w/the Olympic titles, waiting until summer to break them out. I'm guessing that's why your doing AITD now, with Halloween close.
Yes exactly I guess the Halloween atmosphere got me in the mood for Alone In The Dark. But actually Sherlock Holmes also has some creepiness to it as well, so that could have even been appropriate as well.
Let me get one thing clear, are there different endings on Sherlock Holmes? I have only beaten the game once so I do not know a whole ton about endings. If I understood you correctly, I am even more pumped to play again.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:30 pm

zook1981 wrote: Let me get one thing clear, are there different endings on Sherlock Holmes? I have only beaten the game once so I do not know a whole ton about endings. If I understood you correctly, I am even more pumped to play again.
Actually, as far as I know, the game only has the one ending. :( Even though there is some variety in text and puzzle solutions, extra dialouge, etc... I think everything leads to the same conclusion. So the game is still linear ...

But when compared to other games in the genre, there is definitely replay value in that at least there is some variety ... you aren't neccesarily restricted to the same exact script and so forth. The game can be lengthened, depending on what choices you make.

Other than that puzzle example I gave, some of the conversations can be totally altered depending on choices you make. What was a 2 minute discussion on the first playthrough might be a 4 minute discussion on the second, if you pick a different answer to a question for example.

Also, depending on what items or parts of the scene you've looked at or studied can determine the path a discussion takes. You could take to character X for instance, and you'll be able to ask about 3 things. But if you've already looked at items A, B & C, talked to Watson about them, etc ... you might have 6 things to talk about with character X! Depending on these new questions and responses, it might open up even more dialouge. :)

So, some minor foks in the road that all lead to the same end.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:37 pm

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote: Let me get one thing clear, are there different endings on Sherlock Holmes? I have only beaten the game once so I do not know a whole ton about endings. If I understood you correctly, I am even more pumped to play again.
Actually, as far as I know, the game only has the one ending. :( Even though there is some variety in text and puzzle solutions, extra dialouge, etc... I think everything leads to the same conclusion. So the game is still linear ...

But when compared to other games in the genre, there is definitely replay value in that at least there is some variety ... you aren't neccesarily restricted to the same exact script and so forth. The game can be lengthened, depending on what choices you make.

Other than that puzzle example I gave, some of the conversations can be totally altered depending on choices you make. What was a 2 minute discussion on the first playthrough might be a 4 minute discussion on the second, if you pick a different answer to a question for example.

Also, depending on what items or parts of the scene you've looked at or studied can determine the path a discussion takes. You could take to character X for instance, and you'll be able to ask about 3 things. But if you've already looked at items A, B & C, talked to Watson about them, etc ... you might have 6 things to talk about with character X! Depending on these new questions and responses, it might open up even more dialouge. :)

So, some minor foks in the road that all lead to the same end.
Ah ok, yes I just wanted to make sure there was not something I was missing; nevertheless, one ending or not I can play it through over and over now, now that I understand the replay value as I got older.

One glitch I noticed in the game is that part where you pull the door bell and knock on that door until Watson basically lets you break in, sometimes it seems to be stubborn at allowing me to walk in and triggering Watson allowing me to enter. Have you noticed this glitch?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:46 pm

zook1981 wrote: One glitch I noticed in the game is that part where you pull the door bell and knock on that door until Watson basically lets you break in, sometimes it seems to be stubborn at allowing me to walk in and triggering Watson allowing me to enter. Have you noticed this glitch?
It sounds vaguley familiar ... the house with the deaf housekeepr, right? I don't remeber much though, as it's been a while since I played it to completion (too long really)

One thing I should have added which makes the game less linear ... it's possible to play certain scenes in whatever order you want. It isn't the sorta game that once you beat a section it only opens up the next for example ... it might open up a few. I know this cause when I did cheat and use a guide, the order of the walkthrough was quite different from the order I had played up until that point.

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:13 pm

So I've played the Sega CD/Turbografx Sherlock games but I have yet to sink my teeth into this gem. I just received my copy of it about a week ago and I plan to rip into it this weeked. Is this game 'comparable' at all to the Sega CD games or is this a totally different beast?
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:43 pm

MakillaGorilla wrote:So I've played the Sega CD/Turbografx Sherlock games but I have yet to sink my teeth into this gem. I just received my copy of it about a week ago and I plan to rip into it this weeked. Is this game 'comparable' at all to the Sega CD games or is this a totally different beast?
Totally different. Sherlock on 3DO is pure point n' click graphic adventure. Other than the source material, there isn't a whole lot in common actually w/the Sega CD's fmv game.

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes is in a similar mold to LucasArts hits from the early 90's like Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis. Very similar menus, graphics, structure, etc... It is leaps and bounds ahead of the Sherlock fmv titles.

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:50 pm

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes is in a similar mold to LucasArts hits from the early 90's like Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis. Very similar menus, graphics, structure, etc... It is leaps and bounds ahead of the Sherlock fmv titles.
Trev, you got me all excited now! I picked Monkey Island back up a little while ago and ever since then I've had the Point-and-Click bug. I've got this and Lost Eden to look forward too this weekend.
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

MakillaGorilla wrote: Trev, you got me all excited now! I picked Monkey Island back up a little while ago and ever since then I've had the Point-and-Click bug. I've got this and Lost Eden to look forward too this weekend.
Awesome! :D Have fun!

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Indeed there is not a whole lot wrong with Sherlock Holmes, it is a thinking game but not full of crazy puzzles like the PS3 Sherlock Holmes. As long as you avoid strategy guides you will be scratching your head trying to figure out what to do next. It is like actually solving a crime, not a bunch of puzzles like the PS3 one. I am excited to begin again this weekend because it has been almost 5 years and I have forgotten alot of how to beat it, so I may be having a hard time :D

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:39 pm

And I also forgot to mention the music is great in this game. I tend to like classical music (even though I blast heavy metal, classic rock, and gangsta rap) and this game has a great soundtrack that gives you a 19th century atmosherer which does lead me to a flaw in the game and that is the fact that sometimes the music overpowers the video dialouge. Good thing you can also read what they are saying below.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:47 pm

Recent chat has really got me in the mood to play this game again, so I'm also gonna start playing it once more this weekend. Although the game is fairly well etched into my mind from having beaten it several times, it will be interesting to see how much I don't remember. I'm also gonna try to note some of the more interesting choices that can alter different parts of the game. I'm looking forward to is, as it's been a few years since I last completed it! :D

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Yes and another thing I find interesting is you mix chemicals together and you have to figure out which chemicals mix with which, there also is no clues as to what goes with what and the thing is they don't even tell you have to mix anything at all! You have to figure out if that is something you should be doing. They don't even tell you where to look for anything unlike in the PS3 Sherlock Holmes. This game was designed for thinkers and not for puzzle whizzes like the PS3 version.

nixzero
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nixzero » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 am

Wow, this title looks cool, I'll definitely pick it up. Thanks for sharing your love for it, zook!

When I first read about it, I confused it with Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, a game made for DOS, Sega CD, and TGCD. It's one of the first CD-ROM games I owned, and I LOVED it. It spawned 2 sequels and has been remade for DVD in 1999 and on iPad within the last month or so. It's a bit like other mystery games like Snatcher or Phoenix Wright, but uses FMV with excellent video production quality.

One thing I really like about the game is that it has a lot of "fluff" that ends up being a wild goose chase. Unlike modern games like L.A. Noire where you only have a handful of people to interview and nearly all the clues are relevant, SHCD's directory has hundreds of people and businesses, and you may be given 10 newspapers with 20 articles each, when only one is relevant to the case. It forces you to use your head and do "real" detective work, instead of simply brute-forcing your way thru the available options. It really puts you in the head of Sherlock Holmes, IMO. There's a good mix of humor and suspense, and it has an excellent soundtrack. The DVD and iPhone versions appear to have the best video quality, but the interfaces are very different from the originals (a good thing on the iPad version, not so much with the DVD version).

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7oRaMy3shs

I didn't mean to go on a tangent, but if you like the Sherlock Holmes universe as well as a good mystery game, you should check the SHCD games out. Too bad they were never released for the 3DO, they would have been perfect for the system.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:52 am

Sherlock Holmes is ace.
Incredible atmosphere!

I remember the door bell thing, and, yes, that was quite annoying.
But no big deal anyway.

I also remember that the game crashed one time - right before the cut scene, where that guy jumped from the bridge. Next time I tried it, everything went fine though. Maybe it was because I ran a PAL version on a NTSC machine, don't know.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:42 pm

nixzero wrote:Wow, this title looks cool, I'll definitely pick it up. Thanks for sharing your love for it, zook!

When I first read about it, I confused it with Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, a game made for DOS, Sega CD, and TGCD. It's one of the first CD-ROM games I owned, and I LOVED it. It spawned 2 sequels and has been remade for DVD in 1999 and on iPad within the last month or so. It's a bit like other mystery games like Snatcher or Phoenix Wright, but uses FMV with excellent video production quality.

One thing I really like about the game is that it has a lot of "fluff" that ends up being a wild goose chase. Unlike modern games like L.A. Noire where you only have a handful of people to interview and nearly all the clues are relevant, SHCD's directory has hundreds of people and businesses, and you may be given 10 newspapers with 20 articles each, when only one is relevant to the case. It forces you to use your head and do "real" detective work, instead of simply brute-forcing your way thru the available options. It really puts you in the head of Sherlock Holmes, IMO. There's a good mix of humor and suspense, and it has an excellent soundtrack. The DVD and iPhone versions appear to have the best video quality, but the interfaces are very different from the originals (a good thing on the iPad version, not so much with the DVD version).

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7oRaMy3shs

I didn't mean to go on a tangent, but if you like the Sherlock Holmes universe as well as a good mystery game, you should check the SHCD games out. Too bad they were never released for the 3DO, they would have been perfect for the system.
One thing I would have loved to have seen them make for the 3DO was Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes: Case Of The Rose Tattoo, I never played it but it looks as good if not better than serrated scalpel. Lost Files 3DO is must have, definatley pick it up, this game also is like the one title you described, as long as you avoid strategy guides, you will have a hell of a challenge. For years I could not beat it because of the door bell situation, but now I know exactly how to get past it.
I was going to get some other Sherlock Holmes titles for PC but about 2 months ago, right before I dove head first into 3DO again, I missed Sherlock Holmes the most so I bought the CD ROM version instead of getting a whole new 3DO. When I popped it in, it was not compatable, which I half expected. I figured I would either download a DOSBOX, of get a 32 64 type emulator or whatever it is, and get it going. I also tried setting my computer to run 95, 98, 2000, heck I tried em all, but the overlying problem is I am not a computer whiz. That's why if you talk to me about HOMEBREW my eyes glaze over and I have no idea even where to begin understanding even the concept of it :? . Well that is what happened when I tried to download the emulater, despite how my computer skills have massively improved over the years, that is still a little above me; therefore, I almost had a computer virus attack my computer, I also screwed up the speed, and I got nothing I wanted. I set everything back to default settings and cleaned out the weird programs I downloaded and put that Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes CD-ROM to the side :lol: Then my fiancee did some cleaning and accidentally threw it out :x Needless to say I do not think I will embark upon getting any old computer games to work anytime soon.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Jones wrote:Sherlock Holmes is ace.
Incredible atmosphere!

I remember the door bell thing, and, yes, that was quite annoying.
But no big deal anyway.

I also remember that the game crashed one time - right before the cut scene, where that guy jumped from the bridge. Next time I tried it, everything went fine though. Maybe it was because I ran a PAL version on a NTSC machine, don't know.
I did learn exactly how to deal with the doorbell thing. You have to use the USE action for the door bell and not the MOVE action. You walk up and USE the door bell once, then USE the door knocker once. Then you bust out the keys and walk in. When I would use the MOVE action Watson would never ever let me in.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:53 pm

"Some people say that following my rules makes the games too easy
to play. I disagree. What makes most games tough to play is that the
puzzles are arbitrary and unconnected. Most are solved by chance
or repetitive sessions of typing "light candle with match", "light paper
with match", "light rug with match", until something happens.
This is not tough gameplay; this is masturbation.
I played one game that required the player to drop a bubble gum
wrapper in a room on order to get a trap door open (object names have
been changed to protect the guilty). What is the reasoning? There is none.
It's an advanced puzzle, I was told."

Ron Gilbert, designer of "Monkey Island" about early adventure games.
At the same time his most likely comment about the door bell puzzle in
Sherlock Holmes.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:27 pm

zook1981 wrote: I was going to get some other Sherlock Holmes titles for PC but about 2 months ago, right before I dove head first into 3DO again, I missed Sherlock Holmes the most so I bought the CD ROM version instead of getting a whole new 3DO. When I popped it in, it was not compatable, which I half expected.
Just as well really. You'd probably be dissapointed w/the lack of actors and elimination of most of the speech.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote: I was going to get some other Sherlock Holmes titles for PC but about 2 months ago, right before I dove head first into 3DO again, I missed Sherlock Holmes the most so I bought the CD ROM version instead of getting a whole new 3DO. When I popped it in, it was not compatable, which I half expected.
Just as well really. You'd probably be dissapointed w/the lack of actors and elimination of most of the speech.
Really? Are you saying the PC version lacks those things? If so wow I am glad I got the 3DO back. I just wish my finacee would not have tossed it I could have gotten my $10 back :lol:

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Trev wrote:
Wow I just saw a youtube video for it man you are right no actors just animated pop ups. The text is big blue box with bulky letters, wow, it definately would have left me with wanting the 3DO version.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:07 pm

zook1981 wrote:
Trev wrote:
Wow I just saw a youtube video for it man you are right no actors just animated pop ups. The text is big blue box with bulky letters, wow, it definately would have left me with wanting the 3DO version.
Yeah. Including them in the 3DO version was a huge bonus. Even better is the high quality. They didn't just slap cheap costumes on the design team for example (like Way of the Warrior or something) they had real actors, who could read the dialouge well, wearing quality costumes, etc ... They didn't go for the cheap route, and it shows! :)

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote:
Trev wrote: Just as well really. You'd probably be dissapointed w/the lack of actors and elimination of most of the speech.
Yeah. Including them in the 3DO version was a huge bonus. Even better is the high quality. They didn't just slap cheap costumes on the design team for example (like Way of the Warrior or something) they had real actors, who could read the dialouge well, wearing quality costumes, etc ... They didn't go for the cheap route, and it shows! :)
Indeed and the actors were serious unlike in Night Trap, Mad Dog Mccree, and Drug Wars where is seemed like they were joking around when they were acting, it almost made me mad how dumb it was. These actors were actually trying hard and the accents are outstanding. They nailed when it came to upper class accents and more working class accents, because there is a difference in the U.K. between accents. There is also different dialects in different regions of the U.K. and this game defiantley has different dialects. I still get blown away by the dialogue.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:02 pm

I meant to start playing this game again this past weekend. It didn't happen, but I'm definitely gonna soon. Talking about it has really got me excited to play it again. It's November, have you started?

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Trev wrote:I meant to start playing this game again this past weekend. It didn't happen, but I'm definitely gonna soon. Talking about it has really got me excited to play it again. It's November, have you started?
Yes I began this weekend, like you I almost did not because I just got DOOM 3 bfg and Assassins Creed 3 plus we had various shows to watch but I did actually advance far, I guess my memory has not failed me because so far I have been breezing through only got stuck at that door bell part but went to gamefaqs for an answer. I really sank my teeth into it and I am almost done. Almost with Doom 3; therefore, it will be all sherlock holmes and assassins creed!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:55 pm

*POSSIBLE MINOR SPOLER AHEAD*

I gotta bump this thread to talk about a great (and funny) scene in The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes. The scene isn't too vital plot wise, but the way it can potentially play out shows that the game has some extra creativity.

It's in the opera house where you need to search a dressing room. You are allowed to look, but not touch (the opera house manager is watching you closely!) You need to have Watson search the closet so the manager will follow him. Holmes will create an excuse, Watson will lead the manager around the corner, and you can take what you need. It's quick & easy ...

But even though you don't need anything else in the room, you can keep sending Watson to go search the closet. The reasons start out as simple fetch quests, but will soon evolve to more outlandish ones. Paraphrasing ...

Holmes - "Watson, did the singer keep a pet rodent? I thought I saw traces of rat feces by the closet" :shock:

Watson - "I can check, if the manager will assist me." :wink:

Manager - "Rodent droppings?!? In this theatre!?!" :P

I'm not sure how many people just complete this puzzle and move on to the next, but if you stay and keep clicking (and clicking, and clicking, etc ...) there is a ton of extra fun dialouge to be heard. Good stuff!

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:17 am

Indeed I noticed that too. I forgot what to find so I had to drap Mr. Epstein into that closet a few times. Another part I find funny is when they are in the equestrian shop and they Holmes says "Watson let us make a nuisance of ourselves" then he picks up that horn and blows into it. I also find it funny at Anna Carroway's flat when they make that intentional mess on the carpet and the housekeeper freaks out and yells at them like children.