Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - most misunderstood 3DO game?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Did you ever think the 3DO Sherlock game was just a port of the fmv title?

Yes, it's just an enhanced version right?
57%
No, I knew it was different (and better!)
43%

Total votes: 7

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - most misunderstood 3DO game?

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:33 pm

I admit I was stunned how many people thought this 3DO masterpiece was just a port of the TG-16/Sega CD fmv game! Check out the comments in this thread alone (and comment while you're at it) ...

http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Do you think this identity crisis has contributed to the game being underappreciated by 3DO fans? Does knowing that it is a completely different game now make you wan't to check it out if you skipped it in the past?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:18 am

I'll have to check it out. I thought it was the same game I beat on the Sega CD.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:19 pm

oldskool wrote:I'll have to check it out. I thought it was the same game I beat on the Sega CD.
You should definitely check it out. The Sega CD game was ok, and I do have some fun memories of it ... but Sherlock on 3DO is so far beyond it. Totally different, and much, much better.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:36 pm

I knew it wasn't the fmv game and I still couldn't get into it, too slow and boring but then adventure games aren't my thing.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Scarlettkitten wrote:I knew it wasn't the fmv game and I still couldn't get into it, too slow and boring but then adventure games aren't my thing.
The game is slower no doubt, but that's pretty much par for the course w/the entire genre. It may not win over people who don't care for point n' click graphic adventures at all, but fans would be hard pressed to find a better representation.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Trev wrote:
Scarlettkitten wrote:I knew it wasn't the fmv game and I still couldn't get into it, too slow and boring but then adventure games aren't my thing.
The game is slower no doubt, but that's pretty much par for the course w/the entire genre. It may not win over people who don't care for point n' click graphic adventures at all, but fans would be hard pressed to find a better representation.
I agree, if you're into point n click adventures and like a challenge it's worth a look.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:36 am

At one time long ago, I thought this game was also for Sega CD as well. It was not until I got access to the internet later in life that I learned they are two totally different games.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:30 pm

It's a shame that the other releases got so much more hype. FMV for consoles in the early 90's was peaking, while point n' click games were slowing down. :(

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Trev wrote:It's a shame that the other releases got so much more hype. FMV for consoles in the early 90's was peaking, while point n' click games were slowing down. :(
This game did not get much promotion either, I still can't find a Sherlock Holmes poster or AD from back then for my collection.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 am

I'd enjoy seeing an advert for the game. I can see why the 3DO port didn't get one, as it was released over a year later. Plus 3DO games didn't seem to get much advertisement, especially in the early days. But I'd think the game must have had some pc ads.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:08 am

Trev wrote:I'd enjoy seeing an advert for the game. I can see why the 3DO port didn't get one, as it was released over a year later. Plus 3DO games didn't seem to get much advertisement, especially in the early days. But I'd think the game must have had some pc ads.
I have tried looking and found nothing, I always try and collect ads and posters for my favorite games. If I see one I will snag it for the right price.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:29 pm

zook1981 wrote:
Trev wrote:I'd enjoy seeing an advert for the game. I can see why the 3DO port didn't get one, as it was released over a year later. Plus 3DO games didn't seem to get much advertisement, especially in the early days. But I'd think the game must have had some pc ads.
I have tried looking and found nothing, I always try and collect ads and posters for my favorite games. If I see one I will snag it for the right price.
I've never really looked myself, but now I'm curious. Will have to see if I can find any.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote:
I've never really looked myself, but now I'm curious. Will have to see if I can find any.
I thought about buying old VG magazine issues but all the sellers on Ebay want too much money. Even the lots are too much. I was hoping I could find someone that just wanted to clear out room and just make me pay for shipping but no dice. I don't want to spend $50 or more on a stack of magazines that probably won't have it.