Recent Youtube vid review of Samurai Shodown.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Post Reply
User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Recent Youtube vid review of Samurai Shodown.

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gorBLO1osPY

What I like about this review, is that the reviewer actually talks about the standard 3DO control pad positively! So many others trash it unfairly, it's refreshing to hear someone give it props.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:13 pm

To be honest, the standard 3DO control pads dpad is pretty stiff and insensitive for fighting games etc.. So i dont think constructive criticism about the pad is unfair. Some people bash it more than they have to though, like with the jaguar pad (which in my book has an awful dpad, but is very comfortable to hold).

I guess not every pad can have a sega dpad...

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:51 pm

I've heard often that "the 3DO pad can't do diagonals." Statements like that bug me cause not only are they not true, it gives the impression that the 3DO has a shortage of controllers, which of course is ridiculous.

This review is a good example ...

http://www.defunctgames.com/review/661/ ... r-identity

Even though they praise the game (and rightfully so) comments like "Conrad can also roll, but this is tricky with the 3DO controller, as it does not recognize diagonals!" are pretty shameful.

A lot of the criticism I've seen isn't directed at the first 3DO controllers d-pad isn't that it is sorta stiff, but that it's effectively broken. That's what gets to me.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Of course it CAN do diagonals, but to be honest i have a hard time pulling off dragon punches in SF2, more so than on any other console. On sega its a breeze, on 3DO its more a hit or miss.

I dont think the controller criticism is unfounded at all. In many cases its a shitstorm yes, but its not unfounded. The new panasonic controller is a little better than the original, and there are quite a few aftermarket controllers, some are better, and some are worse. But if you cant see the flaws in the controller, you have not played many fighters with the sega pads.. In particular their official wireless one for the genesis/megadrive, or the saturn controller.

I do ok with the panasonic controller, its not bad for games that dont require the combinations fighters do, but for fighting games i will either use the panasonic arcade stick, or my megadrive controller converter.

The stiffness means that in a sense it IS broken.. Not broken as in you cant physically make diagonals, but broken as in you fail so often with more or less delicate switches between directions to pull of moves etc. I see your point and what gets to you, and agree partially. But honestly its a substandard dpad in my experience. I had to release pressure from the screws to let it become a little more loose when i play with the original black boxed controllers. Apparently the red box revision has a better membrane or dpad, whilst the whole new controller (fz-10-style) is even more improved.

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 pm

I was going to start a new thread about Samurai Shodown, but thought that since this was about a review of the game, I would just post it here. What in the Hell is with all the complaints on the 3DO SS game I keep hearing? Is it just me or is this just biased BS? I keep hearing people complain about the horrid load times and terrible, choppy scaling in the game. Mind you, many of these are Neo Geo Fans who obviously hate anything that isn't Neo Geo, but still, I just don't get it. Some assclown was even trying to argue with me that the Sega CD version, one of the worst ever in my honest opinion, killed the 3DO version! I just don't understand it. Hell, as far as I remember, the 3DO version is so close to Arcade Perfect! Seeing it side by side with the Neo Geo CD version even makes me almost laugh. It loads way faster and I don't see the supposed missing frames of animation or the choppy scaling in and out either. I swear, it's like I'm the only person who adores the 3DO version of the game.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Does the Sega CD version even include every character? That would be one obvious knock, besides the limited color palette.

As for the Neo Geo home versions, do they have blood?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
sneth
Nibbler
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 pm
Location: STL
Contact:

Post by sneth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:34 pm

I found the panasonic controllers to have just the right amount of feedback while remaining soft.

The Goldstar controllers was a cheap mess. That one did have issues with diagonals.

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Trev wrote:Does the Sega CD version even include every character? That would be one obvious knock, besides the limited color palette.

As for the Neo Geo home versions, do they have blood?
Yes, the Neo Geo home versions of Samurai Shodown have blood, however, if played on a US Bios system, the blood is turned white or green, I believe.

Also, I can't remember if the Sega CD version has all the characters. All I remember is it is ported by JVC, and they did a piss poor job with it like they did with Fatal Fury Special as well. I do believe that the Sega CD version does indeed have Earthquake though. It has been a VERY long time since I played it.

EDIT: Never mind, Earthquake is not in the Sega CD version. Plus, it doesn't have the scaling in or out either. I just don't get it.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1836
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 am

The only problem I have with the 3DO one is the inconsistent frameskipping. It's jarring if you expect the silky-smooth nature of the original it's based on (or the Sega CD version, which had generic slowdown, not skipped frames). Everything else about it is good though, and overall I'd have to say that it's still a pretty damn solid port, considering who it was ported by and the era in which it was released. You didn't really see Western developers successfully porting Japanese games back then.

Oh, and I don't have a problem with the load times. But then again, I did like Mortal Kombat on the Sega CD. ;)

User avatar
NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:23 pm

BACK TO THE 3DO PAD ISSUES...
I've had a couple of JP1X's for years and thought they were fine for playing SSF2X & SShowdown with personally, even though, I would have liked the 6-button option for SS, similar to how Capcom did their configs for SF.

However, the JP2X (which I have only had a couple of years) is even better still! It's a great pad.

Overall, I'd say the JP2X is a nice controller. It's not Saturn or 6-button MD territory, but it's certainly pretty decent imo.

REGARDING SSHODOWN...
for the 3DO, it seems that although I've always enjoyed it, I can't give a proper opinion based on the fact I've only ever been playing PAL 3DO games... on a PAL machine :oops:

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 am

Austin wrote: Oh, and I don't have a problem with the load times. But then again, I did like Mortal Kombat on the Sega CD. ;)
I can't complain about Load Times as I am way into the Commodore 64 still, so there you have it! :P

As for the missing frames, I still don't know why I am not seeing them. I have played the Hell out of the Arcade version as well as the Neo Geo home cart release and Neo Geo CD version. Even though the cart seems just a tad more smooth, to the point you barely notice, it duns head to head against the Neo Geo CD version. Funny as it is, I have always owned a Japanese version of the game in the US box somehow. I never knew how that happened, but thyere you have it. Are you all playing the PAL or NTSC version of the game? I'm just wondering if that has any bearing on the missing frames or not?
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
a31chris
Jaguar MOD
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am

Post by a31chris » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:53 pm

My complaint about the controller I have which is 3rd party generic s that the corners are too square. IMO they should be more rounded and smooth to make it easier to do rolling motions like back, down, then forward etc. :)

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:00 pm

a31chris wrote:My complaint about the controller I have which is 3rd party generic s that the corners are too square. IMO they should be more rounded and smooth to make it easier to do rolling motions like back, down, then forward etc. :)
Is that you Jagchris? If so, send me a PM, I have a great place for you to get some good 3DO pads on the cheap. :wink:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
a31chris
Jaguar MOD
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am

Post by a31chris » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:56 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
a31chris wrote:My complaint about the controller I have which is 3rd party generic s that the corners are too square. IMO they should be more rounded and smooth to make it easier to do rolling motions like back, down, then forward etc. :)
Is that you Jagchris? If so, send me a PM, I have a great place for you to get some good 3DO pads on the cheap. :wink:
Nakitech? That was the one I grabbed beforehand while waiting for my 3do to come in. I think its a decent controller. However its the only 3do controller I've ever used so... take it for what it is. An inexperienced opinion. :)

Yeah diagonals work on SamShodown with it. Not a real problem. :)

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:51 am

a31chris wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:
a31chris wrote:My complaint about the controller I have which is 3rd party generic s that the corners are too square. IMO they should be more rounded and smooth to make it easier to do rolling motions like back, down, then forward etc. :)
Is that you Jagchris? If so, send me a PM, I have a great place for you to get some good 3DO pads on the cheap. :wink:
Nakitech? That was the one I grabbed beforehand while waiting for my 3do to come in. I think its a decent controller. However its the only 3do controller I've ever used so... take it for what it is. An inexperienced opinion. :)

Yeah diagonals work on SamShodown with it. Not a real problem. :)
Yup, was the pad I spoke of. Decent enough pad. There are MUCH worse ones out there for the 3DO man, trust me.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Yup, was the pad I spoke of. Decent enough pad. There are MUCH worse ones out there for the 3DO man, trust me.
HAHAHA...
I trust ya! I've never used one, but that 'official' Goldstar pad looks absolutely f*cking terrible!

Is it? :D

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:14 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Yup, was the pad I spoke of. Decent enough pad. There are MUCH worse ones out there for the 3DO man, trust me.
HAHAHA...
I trust ya! I've never used one, but that 'official' Goldstar pad looks absolutely f*cking terrible!

Is it? :D
Yuppers. I hate the Goldstar pad. Sorry to say, I think they were smoking some heavy crap when they designed the D-Pad area. It's too big and cumbersome. Makes the pad feel very awkward when trying to use it.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
boabject78
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 am
Location: Scotland

Post by boabject78 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:05 am

The goldstar controller looks a bit better but its actually not that good compared to the panasonic controllers.
If remember right the manual for Samurai Showdown or SSF2T actually recommend using the old 'loosen the controller screw near the Dpad' fix to get the Dpad to be more responsive.
I love how robust the 3do were and still are, granted you will have about 2 years worth of pad wrenching to endure before the controller is fully broken in but its worth it.
....the 3do could do that............if it felt like it.

User avatar
NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun May 26, 2013 4:33 pm

boabject78 wrote:The goldstar controller looks a bit better but its actually not that good compared to the panasonic controllers.
ANY IDEAS...
on what happens if you cross an owl with a bungie cord?

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Sun May 26, 2013 4:54 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
boabject78 wrote:The goldstar controller looks a bit better but its actually not that good compared to the panasonic controllers.
ANY IDEAS...
on what happens if you cross an owl with a bungie cord?
...go on.

User avatar
NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun May 26, 2013 7:37 pm


Post Reply