A new 3DO Company?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

A new 3DO Company?

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 am

Just curious what you all would think. "IF" an outside company with the initial goals that Trip Hawkins had for developing games, came in and bought the 3DO name and logo as well as some of the properties, would you support it? I know that the "Well, it wouldn't be the same" comments are coming as I hear them all the time about Atari as well as SNK Playmore, but let''s be honest, both of those companies have released some damn fine games under the banners. Not all of them are amazing games, but many have been well made and well received. Hell, let's be honest, even a few of the oldschool properties that 3DO held back in the day would make for some damn fine games these days, if handled by a group or company that gave a rats ass. Blade Force, Captain Quazar, Killing Time, Battle Sport, and those are just a few of the titles. Don't know about you, but I never actually understood why nobody came in and bought 3DO and saved it from disappearing.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:46 am

I think mostly that by the time 3DO company died in 2003 many of those IP's were well past their sell-by-date. Plus, unlike Atari and SNK, none of those games 3DO made were house hold names.

3DO had vision, but no ability to execute on that vision. It had the right idea's (sometimes) but couldn't sell the units.

This is a good example:

http://www.meridian59.com/about-early-history.php

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:52 pm

3DOKid wrote:I think mostly that by the time 3DO company died in 2003 many of those IP's were well past their sell-by-date.
I never understood why they didn't try to build off their earlier games. But I guess it is an awkward transition from developing for your own console to being 3rd party.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Killing Time has something of a cult status on Macintosh so i have heard. That's an opportunity right there today I guess.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:41 pm

The IP's were not that strong. If they were any good, they were ported to other systems e.g. Gex

3do studios had some good games, but not that strong outside 3do community.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:15 pm

BattleTank on n64 is a long standing favorite with my friends and I. We use to play that for hours. I just bought it for my friend for his birthday about a year ago and he loves the hell out of it.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:36 pm

+1 CHRIS...
on Battletanx for N64.

I have Battletanx: Global Assault and it is a positively awesome title... 8)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:14 pm

What about Army Men? I know, all of the games weren't spectacular, but I knew quite a few people that actually liked many of the games in the series. I think the company could have been relaunched, as could some of the older IP's, even if the concepts were redone to games of the standards of Today. Seriosly, think about it? I'm telling you, a hybrid Flight/Platformer with the Blade Force storyline would have been awesome. You all know that Battlesport would be great too i9f the right people got their hands on it. And that's only two of the games series.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:06 am

I think the Army Men games ultimately did more harm than good. The market was simply oversaturated w/Army Man games towards the end, plus the spinoffs, ports, etc ... 3DO didn't have the resources to maintain quality control, and eventually the games got such a bad critical rap that even the fans stopped buying. Of course by that point "Army Men" 3DO had little resemblance to the 3DO that existed when they had their own platform to support.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:55 am

Trev wrote:I think the Army Men games ultimately did more harm than good. The market was simply oversaturated w/Army Man games towards the end, plus the spinoffs, ports, etc ... 3DO didn't have the resources to maintain quality control, and eventually the games got such a bad critical rap that even the fans stopped buying. Of course by that point "Army Men" 3DO had little resemblance to the 3DO that existed when they had their own platform to support.
This is true. Very true. Still, it's not like they had the reputation of say, Acclaim! :shock:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:31 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
Trev wrote:I think the Army Men games ultimately did more harm than good. The market was simply oversaturated w/Army Man games towards the end, plus the spinoffs, ports, etc ... 3DO didn't have the resources to maintain quality control, and eventually the games got such a bad critical rap that even the fans stopped buying. Of course by that point "Army Men" 3DO had little resemblance to the 3DO that existed when they had their own platform to support.
This is true. Very true. Still, it's not like they had the reputation of say, Acclaim! :shock:
Acclaim was best at publishing and/or porting other companies games. The stuff they did themselves (especially around the time of 3DO) were often ... lets just say best forgotten. Credit them this though, they helped cement the reputation that licenced games have. :wink: