All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Plasma vs LCD TV

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:36 am

3DO on a LCD looks rubbish.
3DO on a Plasma looks pretty good.

Ewhac explained in one of his videos that this is because the 3DO uses (working from memory) 240p

Assuming I'm a simpleton, is there somewhere i can read why in plain english?

OfManNotMachine
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Plasma vs LCD TV

Post by OfManNotMachine » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:08 am

Plasma in general gets far deeper blacks and also has the most accurate color reproduction. Those are probably 2 big factors as to why it looks better on a plasma than an LCD.

I have a 55 inch Samsung LED TV and my 3DO looks pretty damn good on it, I have S-video coming out of my 3DO into a little box that upconverts that signal to 1080p and I find that makes my 3DO look pretty damn good on it. Haven't experienced any input lag either.

sneth
Nibbler

Re: Plasma vs LCD TV

Post by sneth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:57 am

Agreed with post above.

For rich colour and blacks you still can't beat Plasma. Plasma does consume more power, and is usually a little thicker. Plasma also retains these qualities over 60". LCD's are mostly caught up in that area in some modern sets.

LCD and LED are the same PQ, just different light sources. They use giant white light sources which is why the blacks and colours can be washed out. They have the best refresh rate which makes them better for watching Sports. However, itt just looks plain weird for movies and TV shows if it doesnt have slower modes. Film movies were shot in 24 fps. LCD/LED's are also recommended for rooms that have lots of natural light as the picture is very bright.