3DO/CD-I ports

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Post Reply
User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

3DO/CD-I ports

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:18 pm

Since many of us here are part of the cd-i forum also, I'm curious what your thought are on games that appeared on both platfroms. Which system has the best version of each game & why? I am most curious about Mad Dog I & Creature Shock, which I thought were awful on the 3DO (Mad Dog because of the slowdown, and Creature Shcok because of the poor control in the corridor sections) Are the cd-i versions better? Also, how many games do the systems have in common? I am aware of'

-World Cup Golf
-Striker
-Kingdom, Far reaches
-Dragon's Lair
-Space Ace
-Lost Eden
-Flashback
-Rise of the Robots
-Last Bounty Hunter
-Who Shot Johnny Rock

I'm sure I am missing several though.

User avatar
Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Post by Devin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:42 pm

Brain Dead 13 was another as my 'crossover' avatar suggests! :D

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Re: 3DO/CD-I ports

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:07 am

Trev wrote:Since many of us here are part of the cd-i forum also, I'm curious what your thought are on games that appeared on both platfroms. Which system has the best version of each game & why? I am most curious about Mad Dog I & Creature Shock, which I thought were awful on the 3DO (Mad Dog because of the slowdown, and Creature Shcok because of the poor control in the corridor sections) Are the cd-i versions better? Also, how many games do the systems have in common? I am aware of'

-World Cup Golf
-Striker
-Kingdom, Far reaches
-Dragon's Lair
-Space Ace
-Lost Eden
-Flashback
-Rise of the Robots
-Last Bounty Hunter
-Who Shot Johnny Rock

I'm sure I am missing several though.

Hello mate!

Daedalus Encounter is a cross over too. My favorite from the above is Lost Eden and I think the game is rubbish but the music and the story compensate to such a level - I often quote it as an all time favourite!

User avatar
Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 pm
Location: Mich

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:36 am

while collecting for the 3DO and CD-i at the same time i didnt buy the same titles for the CD-i that i already had on the 3DO

i only have World Cup Golf, Flashback, and Mad Dog on the CD-i

oh and Crime Patrol I and II

ive only played Mad Dog on the CDi because at the time of owning these games, i didnt own a gamepad controller and i only had the IR remote for the CDi 220 and i hated that thing. it was missing the top part for the thumb so i had to use the stick part that would poke my thumb

i didnt notice any difference between the mad dog games because i had the Light gun for both systems
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:40 am

Lemmi wrote:while collecting for the 3DO and CD-i at the same time i didnt buy the same titles for the CD-i that i already had on the 3DO

i only have World Cup Golf, Flashback, and Mad Dog on the CD-i

oh and Crime Patrol I and II

ive only played Mad Dog on the CDi because at the time of owning these games, i didnt own a gamepad controller and i only had the IR remote for the CDi 220 and i hated that thing. it was missing the top part for the thumb so i had to use the stick part that would poke my thumb

i didnt notice any difference between the mad dog games because i had the Light gun for both systems
'


Show off. You do know that 3DO Light Guns don't work for us Limeys don't you?

Salt into an open wound.

On a serious note: I always thought that the CDi would display these games better because of its VCD card - that very nearly came as standard...

User avatar
Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 pm
Location: Mich

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:46 am

3DOKid wrote: Show off. You do know that 3DO Light Guns don't work for us Limeys don't you?

Salt into an open wound.

...
heh oops, i totally forgot about that :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:18 am

Lemmi wrote:
3DOKid wrote: Show off. You do know that 3DO Light Guns don't work for us Limeys don't you?

Salt into an open wound.

...
heh oops, i totally forgot about that :D
Yeah - I bet. Why don't you mention again how much fun it is? :cry:

User avatar
Bas
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:11 pm
Contact:

Post by Bas » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:12 pm

Creature Shock is another one.

Microcosm partly, if only Philips didn't cancel the CD-i game! I've never played 3DO, so for me it's hard to compare. Videos on the internet about these systems are all low-quality!

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:21 pm

Bas wrote:Creature Shock is another one.

Microcosm partly, if only Philips didn't cancel the CD-i game! I've never played 3DO, so for me it's hard to compare. Videos on the internet about these systems are all low-quality!
You didn't miss anything. Really. You have to be in a terribly forgiving mood to play Microcosm in anything but a confused state.

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:47 pm

I agree, Microcosm & it's sequel Novastorm both stunk up the 3DO (although Die Hard Game Fan gave the latter it's shooting game of the year award :? so some evidently get a kick out of lousy games) This is the first time I have ever heard of Daedalus beig on cd-i ... I am curious to know how it looks. I know the 3DO port was much better than the PC version. And how about Braindead 13? I have the Saturn version which is quite grainy ... does the cd-i match the sharpness of the 3DO game?

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Windows Killer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Trev wrote:This is the first time I have ever heard of Daedalus beig on cd-i ...
Probably because Daedalus Encounter doesn't exist on CD-i. ;)

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:25 pm

Looks like 3DOKid was wrong...

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:10 am

Trev wrote:Looks like 3DOKid was wrong...
Yep - must have heard it somewhere. I'm sure there was a glitzy FMV version of it though... PC?

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:56 am

Actually, as far as I know the 3DO had the best FMV of any version. I think the pc was only half the screen size (think early sega cd, but w/higher resolution)

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:56 am

Trev wrote:Actually, as far as I know the 3DO had the best FMV of any version. I think the pc was only half the screen size (think early sega cd, but w/higher resolution)
I was under the impression. more 3DO Kid Speculation (tm) that the CDi could really shine in this area because of the Mpeg decoder card thingy...

What do I know. I thought CDi was a variant of a Vauxhall (General Motors) 2.0L Carlton.

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Windows Killer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:09 am

Trev wrote:Actually, as far as I know the 3DO had the best FMV of any version. I think the pc was only half the screen size (think early sega cd, but w/higher resolution)
The difference was that the 3DO version had the FMVs running in full-screen because the screen resolution was only 320x240 (same resolution as the FMVs). The PC version had the same quality FMVs, but since they weren't upscaled and the game ran in 640x480, they took only a small part of the screen.

Post Reply