Controllers & Adapters?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Controllers & Adapters?

Post by wulfren » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:28 am

I have been doing a fair amount of research as of recent on the 3DO system and I've come up with a few things. I thought I would post them here to get everyone's feedback to see if I'm on the right track.

First off I have seen links for an adapter that allows you to use your PSX/PS2 controllers on your 3DO. Which brings me to my first point/thought. Do these things work??? If so, is there a reason why we couldn't hook in a standard generic light gun (say for the PSX) through the adapter to the 3DO & use it for all the shooting games.

Secondly I have read about an adapter that allows you to use SNES controllers for the 3DO as well, and the same question I know there was a mouse made for the SNES as well as the Super Scope 6. Is there a reason why these items would not work?

I've done a fair amount of reading on the newer systems controllers (mainly all XBOX controllers are USB, they just have a different USB adapter. Which means all you have to do is buy an adapter ect and you can use the XBOX controllers on the PC. My Steel Battalion controller comes to mind. So the questions are these. are most controllers standardized to where you can just switch the plug to another one & use those controllers on various systems? Lastly where can I actually find these adapters (say for the SNES) are they more adapters other than the 2 I've listed? and does anyone have one that they could try various controller types? And finally, does anyone know of ANY other controllers that work safely on a 3DO? For years I have heard you can use Sega Genesis controllers but I read somewhere that they were actually bad for your system. So is there anything out there?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for reading.
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:56 am

Howdy!

---------------
First off I have seen links for an adapter that allows you to use your PSX/PS2 controllers on your 3DO. Which brings me to my first point/thought. Do these things work??? If so, is there a reason why we couldn't hook in a standard generic light gun (say for the PSX) through the adapter to the 3DO & use it for all the shooting games.
---------------
The adapter does work, but only in a minimalist fashion. The analog sticks are mapped to the D-pad, so there is no true analog interface. Also, the interface does not recognize the light gun as a light gun, so it too does not work. No real steering wheel support either, though I did get the V3 to work in 'Digital Mode'

---------------
Secondly I have read about an adapter that allows you to use SNES controllers for the 3DO as well, and the same question I know there was a mouse made for the SNES as well as the Super Scope 6. Is there a reason why these items would not work?
---------------
Neither the SNES adapters nor the Genesis adapters support the light gun interface. Never got the SNES mouse to work properly, but then the 3DO's mouse is far superior anyway. Have yet to try the Genesis mouse, though the Activator does work.

---------------
I've done a fair amount of reading on the newer systems controllers (mainly all XBOX controllers are USB, they just have a different USB adapter. Which means all you have to do is buy an adapter ect and you can use the XBOX controllers on the PC. My Steel Battalion controller comes to mind. So the questions are these. are most controllers standardized to where you can just switch the plug to another one & use those controllers on various systems?
---------------
It's not just the plug you have to adapt, but the output from the plug. The Genesis used the same scheme as the Atari 2600/7800, but most are unique to their system in terms of what the digital signal coming out of them is. The adapters act as a translator, not just a plug converter.

---------------
Lastly where can I actually find these adapters (say for the SNES) are they more adapters other than the 2 I've listed? and does anyone have one that they could try various controller types?
---------------
E-Bay is a good place to start for the SNES ones. The maker TOTOTEK will sell you the 3DO/Playstation adapter directly. The few Genesis ones I've seen I've snagged up, but there are a few sites scattered about the internet that offer them. You're best off looking at ebay though.

Kanpai!
Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:02 am

awesome thanks for Draxa, its kind of a bummer that it wouldn't work in that way, but with you explaining it that way it does make sense. I think at the very least I'll try to get one, if nothing else to save my 3DO controllers from getting overly abused (my brother likes to play it when he comes in..heh lets just say he's not delicate)

wow i've not heard anyone talk about the Activator in years

anywho thank you again ..meh heh it was a good idea at least
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~