Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Post Reply
User avatar
klogg
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:04 pm
Location: Brazil

Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by klogg » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Stupid arguments. They use the old story of the price of $700. Also, the author of the video says that the 3do only had ONE controller port, ignoring the daisy-chain feature. And seems to think that the games were just FMVs games :lol: .


http://kotaku.com/these-may-be-the-10-w ... 1539494462
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

User avatar
3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47 am
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:28 am

Meh, it's kotaku. They either know what they are talking about or are so off you know they only glanced at the Wiki page.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Well, what can we say? The 3DO, much like the Atari Jaguar, is just meant to be scoffed at I guess. The arguments in that video make as much sense as so many people bitching about the Atari jaguar Pad being it's huge downfall when hardly any of them have ever even touched one. The whole list itself seems suspect to me as it is. There hyave been so many bad systems out there over the years and people seem to forget that a system is only as good as it's games. You get a handful of good games together and you get a good time, doesn't matter what system they are on. I'm not the biggest Playstation fan, but I own all of the systems. Why? Because there are some damn good games exclusive to said system brand. 3DO had some VERY charming games in it's day that I still love to play today. Hmm, what a way to spend my 1,000th post. At least I'm defending the machine. :lol:

EDIT: after rewatching this ridiculous video, I need to point out a few things they really screwed up on. Firstly, what idiot did the overlays? I love how the Atari Jaguar was advertised as the first "32-Bit" video game console. That was an easy one. Secondly, I hate the fact that the CD-i are on any of these lists. Biggest reason is that the system was never technically supposed to be a Video Game Console in the first place. The fact that they even got some of the games on there and that some of them turned out quite good is a testament that someone was actually working well with the technology. Lastly, make any argument you want about the Laseractive, but to say that Laserdisc became obsolete as early as 1994 when the system was discontinued is just stupid. Especially since they were still making and selling Laserdiscs as late as 2000, a whole six years later. Making one of these lists is already fodder for some arguments, but blatantly making up facts to support your own shoddily made list is just sad and pathetic. It's like the moron years ago that did a Saturn video and complained that his Genesis carts wouldn't fit in the cart port and that's why the Saturn was no good because it didn't work right. Do any of these assclowns even research their source material anymore?
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:40 pm

I made a comment about this vid when a friend shared it via Twitter. It's hard to take opinions seriously when there are so many factual errors. The vid isn't even that long - no excuse!
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Trev wrote:I made a comment about this vid when a friend shared it via Twitter. It's hard to take opinions seriously when there are so many factual errors. The vid isn't even that long - no excuse!
Exactly. Makes the whole thing that much more sad. It's like they didn't even really try.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
Martin III
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 am
Location: United States of America

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by Martin III » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:18 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:Well, what can we say? The 3DO, much like the Atari Jaguar, is just meant to be scoffed at I guess. The arguments in that video make as much sense as so many people bitching about the Atari jaguar Pad being it's huge downfall when hardly any of them have ever even touched one. The whole list itself seems suspect to me as it is. There hyave been so many bad systems out there over the years and people seem to forget that a system is only as good as it's games. You get a handful of good games together and you get a good time, doesn't matter what system they are on. I'm not the biggest Playstation fan, but I own all of the systems. Why? Because there are some damn good games exclusive to said system brand. 3DO had some VERY charming games in it's day that I still love to play today. Hmm, what a way to spend my 1,000th post. At least I'm defending the machine. :lol:

EDIT: after rewatching this ridiculous video, I need to point out a few things they really screwed up on. Firstly, what idiot did the overlays? I love how the Atari Jaguar was advertised as the first "32-Bit" video game console. That was an easy one. Secondly, I hate the fact that the CD-i are on any of these lists. Biggest reason is that the system was never technically supposed to be a Video Game Console in the first place. The fact that they even got some of the games on there and that some of them turned out quite good is a testament that someone was actually working well with the technology. Lastly, make any argument you want about the Laseractive, but to say that Laserdisc became obsolete as early as 1994 when the system was discontinued is just stupid. Especially since they were still making and selling Laserdiscs as late as 2000, a whole six years later. Making one of these lists is already fodder for some arguments, but blatantly making up facts to support your own shoddily made list is just sad and pathetic. It's like the moron years ago that did a Saturn video and complained that his Genesis carts wouldn't fit in the cart port and that's why the Saturn was no good because it didn't work right. Do any of these assclowns even research their source material anymore?
Watched the video, found it pretty hilariously bad. Far from "blatantly making up facts", it was pretty obvious to me that they browsed a few sources and then cobbled together the list from half-remembered factoids from those sources without going back to check anything. For example:

website: "Marketed as the first 32-bit console, the 3DO had only one controller port on the console itself, with an additional port on each controller so that they could be daisy-chained for multiplayer gaming."
guy making video: "Let's see, it was the Jaguar which was marketed as the first 32-bit console, right? Yeah, I think that's it. [typing] Now... they said the 3DO only had one controller port, didn't they?"

:lol:

As far as the CD-i goes, though, your argument only helps the case for including the CD-i on such lists. That's like someone who got an "F" on a school project saying to the teacher "How can you give me an F when I wasn't even trying to do a good job?!"

User avatar
NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 pm

The CD32 and it's CD32 releases, make the console, EASILY one of the worst consoles ever made. I know... I've owned one! Ugh.

People always use the retort "if you add a keyboard and floppy drive, it becomes an A1200!". Right. And?

If the Jaguar could add a keyboard and become an ST, would anyone have really given a sh*t?

Seriously: CD32, GX4000, Tiger.com, Gamate (I used to have one of those!), CD-I etc all eclipse the Jaguar and 3DO. The 3DO is nowhere NEAR worst console ever territory! :evil:

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:35 pm

You know what I want to see? A list of the ten worst consoles that nobody has ever heard of because they were so bad. The only reason the Virtual Boy, Jaguar and 3DO are always on the lists is because people already know what they are and love to slam the crap out of them. It really is sad when they put the Jaguar and 3DO on the lists, and you even get the Gizmondo, but no N-Gage? Ninja brought up the Gamate as well, totally horrid stuff. What about that other amazing piece of crap that Tiger made called the R-Zone? Good lord, there have been so many horrid game systems out there much worse than several of the other systems listed. Oh, and does nobody know what the Hell the damn Hyper Scan was? HORRID!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
Martin III
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 am
Location: United States of America

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by Martin III » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:You know what I want to see? A list of the ten worst consoles that nobody has ever heard of because they were so bad. The only reason the Virtual Boy, Jaguar and 3DO are always on the lists is because people already know what they are and love to slam the crap out of them. It really is sad when they put the Jaguar and 3DO on the lists, and you even get the Gizmondo, but no N-Gage? Ninja brought up the Gamate as well, totally horrid stuff. What about that other amazing piece of crap that Tiger made called the R-Zone? Good lord, there have been so many horrid game systems out there much worse than several of the other systems listed. Oh, and does nobody know what the Hell the damn Hyper Scan was? HORRID!
Ah yes, it does puzzle me that you never see the R-Zone or Gamate on these lists. I discovered the Gamate while browsing Wikipedia, and all I could think was, "Wow, this sounds terrible." The SuperGrafx is another one that's a better contender for "worst console" than 3DO.

Incidentally, I do know what the Hyper Scan was, but I don't know what makes it "horrid". Now you've got me curious...

User avatar
T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Martin III wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:You know what I want to see? A list of the ten worst consoles that nobody has ever heard of because they were so bad. The only reason the Virtual Boy, Jaguar and 3DO are always on the lists is because people already know what they are and love to slam the crap out of them. It really is sad when they put the Jaguar and 3DO on the lists, and you even get the Gizmondo, but no N-Gage? Ninja brought up the Gamate as well, totally horrid stuff. What about that other amazing piece of crap that Tiger made called the R-Zone? Good lord, there have been so many horrid game systems out there much worse than several of the other systems listed. Oh, and does nobody know what the Hell the damn Hyper Scan was? HORRID!
Ah yes, it does puzzle me that you never see the R-Zone or Gamate on these lists. I discovered the Gamate while browsing Wikipedia, and all I could think was, "Wow, this sounds terrible." The SuperGrafx is another one that's a better contender for "worst console" than 3DO.

Incidentally, I do know what the Hyper Scan was, but I don't know what makes it "horrid". Now you've got me curious...
In this particular case, I do have to bash the controllers. It's not that the design themselves were bad, but the build quality was really bad. The buttons were very easy to get jammed and also the D-Pad didn't leave much to be desired. The games themselves really were awful. Plus, to do anything with the games you HAD to have cards. This is what killed the system in the end. It was just an all around bad idea that probably looked really good on paper. Think, of it kind of like the GBA eReader as a home console, but nowhere near as cool. See, people figured iout early on that everything you have on the cards were already on the game discs, you just had to buy the cards to unlock them. Kind of a crappy way to do things. Also, if I remember correctly, the Intergalactic Wrestling, or whatever it was called, you HAD to have the card for the boss in order to beat the game. Without the card, there was no way to unlock the boss so yeah, stupid mistakes like that will kill a console.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

User avatar
NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Kotaku List - Top 10 Worst Consoles [3do#6]

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:31 pm

The Gamate: a not so interesting story...

A mate at school had one that he brought in one day. Looked like a GameGear, but had yellow buttons and a monochrome screen (a lá Gameboy). It had around 4 games with it and, they all intrigued me... if I'm honest.

For whatever STUPID reason, I decided I wanted it! :twisted:

I offered up a playground trade, and I ended up parting with my MasterSystem II with some games for the Gamate. I didn't regret it then and have never regretted it since, as I have ZERO affinity for the SMS anyway (unlike many!).

However, it became apparent that I had perhaps not made the wisest of decisions in acquiring said console. I'll admit, I had a few decent plagiarised titles for it (a bomber man clone, and arkanoid clone, and a couple of others I can't remember right now) but it just didn't hold my attention, long term. It actually WASN'T terrible, but certainly obscure and under produced for on a scale that makes it a worthy entrant. The 'industry' would much rather concentrate on fallen giants instead though tbh, as they make more interesting reading material :roll:

Have no idea what ever happened it tbh! :lol:



(p.s. I wonder how many PPL have actually owned or even played one??!)

Post Reply