AT&T

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

AT&T

Post by Martin III » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:05 pm

I was reading the opening editorial in the April 1994 issue of GamePro, which mainly discusses the recent Consumer Electronics Show, and was struck by one note: "Sanyo and AT&T also showed off prototypes of their 3DO machines."

I can't remember ever hearing that AT&T was bringing out a 3DO. Referring back to Will's article, the only mention of them I found is that AT&T were putting out a modem for the 3DO. Is the modem what the GamePro editorial is talking about, or did AT&T plan to join Panasonic, Goldstar, and Sanyo in manufacturing 3DO Interactive Multiplayers? If the latter, does anyone here have one of AT&T's 3DO prototypes? What's it like?

I'm also kind of wondering about the Sanyo presence. Is it normal for Japan-exclusive hardware to be demonstrated at CES, or was Sanyo thinking about releasing the Sanyo 3DO here in the US of A?

3DO Si
3DO ZERO USER

Re: AT&T

Post by 3DO Si » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi Martin. If you take a look at page 49 of the 3DO Press Kit I uploaded here, it does mention AT&T as a hardware licensee.

The press release does state "AT&T may manufacture and market its own compact-disc based 3DO Interactive Multiplayer". Interestingly, it then goes on to state "AT&T intends to manufacture a network version of the Interactive Multiplayer", I wonder if that was the prototype they developed?

With regard Sanyo, page 48 does state that a prototype was shown at the CES show, however the press release states that Sanyo are in final negotiations with the 3DO company for the hardware license. I assume, for whatever reason, the US arm of Sanyo didn't proceed with the deal.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:44 pm

I've put this pic up before when someone asked about the AT&T model.

"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:23 am

3DO Si wrote:Hi Martin. If you take a look at page 49 of the 3DO Press Kit I uploaded here, it does mention AT&T as a hardware licensee.

The press release does state "AT&T may manufacture and market its own compact-disc based 3DO Interactive Multiplayer". Interestingly, it then goes on to state "AT&T intends to manufacture a network version of the Interactive Multiplayer", I wonder if that was the prototype they developed?

With regard Sanyo, page 48 does state that a prototype was shown at the CES show, however the press release states that Sanyo are in final negotiations with the 3DO company for the hardware license. I assume, for whatever reason, the US arm of Sanyo didn't proceed with the deal.
Whoops, I should have thought to check that press kit! I still haven't gotten around to reading through the whole thing, though I have read a decent chunk of it. Thanks very much for the info. It's nice to have confirmation that this console was for real. Thanks also for the pic, 3DO Experience!