Nakitek 3do 3rd party controller complete fail

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Nakitek 3do 3rd party controller complete fail

Post by a31chris » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:34 am

Well this $8 controller I got new is of course dying now. It's buttons are failing and now the left shoulder button is completely stuck in.

Get what I pay for I guess.

I'll have to get a new controller so I can play NFS again.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Nakitek 3do 3rd party controller complete fail

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:43 pm

a31chris wrote:Well this $8 controller I got new is of course dying now. It's buttons are failing and now the left shoulder button is completely stuck in.

Get what I pay for I guess.

I'll have to get a new controller so I can play NFS again.
Just try and stick to one of the stock Panasonic pads if possible.

Either the FZ-JP1X or FZ-JP2X... depending on your size preference: JP1 is bigger and JP2 is smaller.

I prefer the JP2's myself, even if they do omit the headphone jack facility :?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Just throwing this out there, but you either got a bad Nakitek pad or beat the Hell out of the thing. I generally do not recommend Third Party pads, but the Nakitek is quite solid as a controller. I have had mine for a couple of years now, use it quite often, and it works just fine. I haven't had any of the issues you just described at all. I'm sorry to hear all of this Man. On a positive note, I do agree with NG Ninja. He speaks wisdom above. The Panasonic Pads are solid. Well built and Tanks. Either design is nice, however, I do like the revision 2 pads D-Pad a bit better than the originals. Revision 2 pads have no Headphone Jack and the play and stop buttons are round instead of rectangular, so you know. Either design is well worth the price though.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:33 am

They are $8 controllers. All buttons are failing. Probably the luck of the draw with this kind of production quality. I have not played it that much and certainly have not abused it any more than any of my other controllers.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:34 pm

a31chris wrote:They are $8 controllers. All buttons are failing. Probably the luck of the draw with this kind of production quality. I have not played it that much and certainly have not abused it any more than any of my other controllers.
I(t's all good Brother. I understand. Not trying to accuse you of beating it up, and yes, these things happen. As odd as it is, Nakitek has always been one of those weird 3rd party companies where I have never had a full on Bad experience with. I have had stuff from them that was just okay, but never really bad. I guess this is obviously something that could happen, and really sad to hear the controller is dieing. Just out of curiosity, have you tried taking the pad apart, cleaning the contacts and repositioning the button contacts and rubber bases to make sure that everything is making proper contact? Just asking as I am sure that you probably already have done this anyway.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Aer Fixus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Aer Fixus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:37 pm

My Nakitek controller did the same thing right out of the box (or bag, as they come). The problem with the left shoulder button is that the nub on the button that pushes on the nub of the rubber dome slides off and doesn't reset itself. I glued mine onto the button if I remember correctly.

As for the other buttons failing, I've had aftermarket Gamecube controllers (and 1st party PS1 controllers) do the same thing. Sometimes it's just dirty, other times the rubber is split and needs to be replaced.

It might not be worth fixing to you, though. To me, every chance to fix something is a way to save money and gain modding experience.