3DO ZONE Forums

The Only R.E.A.L. 3DO Experience.
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 3:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: US region Sanyo TRY 3DO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:33 pm 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 am
Posts: 288
They never made one, but its quite easy to change it yourself. Just remove the Kanji ROM chip, and youre done.

Will post a couple pics soon.

_________________
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:44 pm 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 am
Posts: 288
Maps 'O Death working now, which wont work on Japan region:

Image

The opening BIOS screen:

Image

The chip that holds the Kanji font is what needs to be removed:

Image

_________________
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:23 pm 
Offline
Nibbler
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 pm
Posts: 423
Location: STL
Is it socket based or did you need to reheat all the solder to pull it off?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:35 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 am
Posts: 288
Used my hot air rework station to remove it, takes about a minute or so to remove. The longest part is pulling the machine apart and putting it back together.

_________________
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:46 am 
Offline
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Fairfax, VA
Neat. Seems like it would redundant though considering US 3DO consoles are fairly common. I wouldn't want to mess with something less common like the TRY. But, hey, at least we know it works now.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/austinmackert | http://www.twitch.tv/amackert


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:25 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 am
Posts: 288
Austin wrote:
Neat. Seems like it would redundant though considering US 3DO consoles are fairly common. I wouldn't want to mess with something less common like the TRY. But, hey, at least we know it works now.

They might be in America, but theyre not common anywhere else, the most common here in Australia are Euro and Japan consoles.

I know it is widely claimed theyre region free as well, but theyre not always, the Japan and Euro regions wont run a few games i have here, and the gun does not work with any PAL version.

Its not like this cant be reversed in 5 minutes, but either way its zero loss by changing a Sanyo to US region anyway.

And its not like as if the Sanyo is any more sought after than any other 3DO is it!

_________________
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:11 am 
Offline
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Fairfax, VA
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
And its not like as if the Sanyo is any more sought after than any other 3DO is it!


They typically sell for more, so that always equated to me as being more sought after than other models.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/austinmackert | http://www.twitch.tv/amackert


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:33 pm 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 am
Posts: 288
Typically the "asking price" is more, it's buyer's call if they pay that, i paid under $150 Australian Dollars for mine delivered, complete boxed and pretty much as new. That was not long ago either.

_________________
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:43 pm 
Offline
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Fairfax, VA
Good deal then. Looks like living down under has its advantages. :)

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/austinmackert | http://www.twitch.tv/amackert


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:40 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 am
Posts: 288
Austin wrote:
Good deal then. Looks like living down under has its advantages. :)

Well its very little to do with that, i bought it from Japan on ebay! Anyone couldve done the same ;)

_________________
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:07 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 am
Posts: 288
I can also now confirm that this chip removal works on the early version of the FZ-10.

_________________
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 am 
Offline
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Fairfax, VA
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Austin wrote:
Good deal then. Looks like living down under has its advantages. :)

Well its very little to do with that, i bought it from Japan on ebay! Anyone couldve done the same ;)


Really? OK, in that case I guess you got lucky then. Everything I see from Japan is $150 - $200 before shipping (then tack another $80 on for that). Ugh. :(

Can't wait to get some funds freed up so I can sign up for a middle man service and start using Yahoo Auctions Japan.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/austinmackert | http://www.twitch.tv/amackert


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:06 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 am
Posts: 288
Austin wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Austin wrote:
Good deal then. Looks like living down under has its advantages. :)

Well its very little to do with that, i bought it from Japan on ebay! Anyone couldve done the same ;)


Really? OK, in that case I guess you got lucky then. Everything I see from Japan is $150 - $200 before shipping (then tack another $80 on for that). Ugh. :(

Can't wait to get some funds freed up so I can sign up for a middle man service and start using Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Yeah shipping out of Japan has gone through the roof of late.

_________________
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group