Phoenix 3 thoughts?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Phoenix 3 thoughts?

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:37 pm

You know, I have to admit that I really have fun with Platformers if they are built well. With games like Flashback, GEX, and Johnny Bazookatone on the 3DO, people overlook Phoenix 3. I'm not going to say it's the most amazing game, but I actually find it to be solid. Generic to a degree, but so much like a schlocky C Budget Sci Fi film that I love it in it's own right. It's so 3DO that you can't hate it. Seriously, the cinematics are so bad they are great, I mean it too. The level designs are well done, although with the weird trickery the camera movement has, it's weird. The game almost reminds me of a full on consolized version of Switchblade II from the Lynx. I guess that may be one of the reasons I enjoy the game. My one gripe with this game that really irks me is the inability to change the button configuration. I HATE the way the buttons are set up. Why was it so hard to make the buttons customizable? If I play a game like this, I want to set the buttons up the way I want them and it screams of lazy programming. Other than that, the game isn't that bad. Thoughts?
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Phoenix 3 thoughts?

Post by Martin III » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:17 pm

I've been tempted to get this, since interactive movies are one of the main reasons I got a 3DO. However, after playing the horrendously bad Snow Job, I don't have much confidence in Studio 3DO's ability to do a decent job with the live action FMVs. More crucially, the more I hear about the game the more it seems like its reputation for not-fun gameplay is deserved. The game looks just painful to play in ewhac and gammadev's let's play video.

Of course you can't really know without trying the game for yourself, but for now I feel much more inclined to do another run through The Deadalus Encounter, Space Pirates, Immercenary, or Wing Commander III when I want to get my fix of science fiction interactive movie.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Martin III wrote:I've been tempted to get this, since interactive movies are one of the main reasons I got a 3DO. However, after playing the horrendously bad Snow Job, I don't have much confidence in Studio 3DO's ability to do a decent job with the live action FMVs. More crucially, the more I hear about the game the more it seems like its reputation for not-fun gameplay is deserved. The game looks just painful to play in ewhac and gammadev's let's play video.

Of course you can't really know without trying the game for yourself, but for now I feel much more inclined to do another run through The Deadalus Encounter, Space Pirates, Immercenary, or Wing Commander III when I want to get my fix of science fiction interactive movie.
I appreciate what you are saying here, but this game isn't really an interactive FMV game...it's a Side Scrolling 2D platformer with FMV Cinematics to break up the levels and action. As for the reputation on the not fun gameplay, I still stand by my claim, if you could reconfigure the controls, it would have a HUGE difference in the way the game plays. For me, there is nothing worse, example, than being used to having the "B" button as jump, but now it's "A" whereas, I liike "A" to be attack and "C" as special and it's something like that more more annoying...
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:48 pm

The term "interactive movie" actually refers to any game where full-motion video is a major component, regardless of genre.

Button configuration isn't really a problem for me. I mean, sure, it annoys me when a game has an unusual button configuration and doesn't give the option to change it, or even when it doesn't save the configuration so that you have to remember to change it every time you boot up the game (as in Tomb Raider and 3DO Flashback). But I'm adaptable; give me an hour or so with any game, and the default button configuration will become perfectly natural to me. My mind just naturally rewires itself to handle the controller the way the game is designed.

What strikes me as not fun about Phoenix 3 is stuff like having to board platforms with enemies and not enough space to avoid getting hit by those enemies.