Sewer Shark

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Sewer Shark

Post by Martin III » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:55 am

Guess it's time for a new thread on this game since the old one hasn't had activity since 2007. I've popped in this newly acquired sucker and have been having a blast with it. The sense of speed and near-constant need to watch for the next turn is exhilarating. The cutscenes are painful to watch, but neither that nor the frequent game overs has kept me from being hooked.

Unfortunately I'm run into a problem. My ship always runs out of energy on level 6. I always hit both recharge stations available up to that point and on my latest attempt I even somehow managed to shoot every single scorpion, but it's still not enough. It's as if Digital Pictures simply forgot to include enough recharge stations to make the game beatable. Anyone know what you're supposed to do here?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: Sewer Shark

Post by a31chris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:10 pm

I have only played the Sega CD version. So I don't know I don't even know how far down the way I got.

But I guess I'm nuts cuz I like cheesy FMV it's just so funny.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue May 01, 2018 2:21 pm

IIRC constantly shooting drains more energy and some of the enemies that can hit you drain your energy too. I don't remember exactly how far into the game is level 6. If you give me what cut scenes are at that point id probably remember but I think there should be more than 2 recharges up to that point. What if this game doesn't react well to aging CD drives? Are you playing this on a 3DO or emulator? Ever try to see if you get that same result on an emulator if you are playing on a 3do?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu May 10, 2018 3:11 am

Is there any way an SD card can be made for the 3DO? And perhaps plugged into some port in the back that will load up CD images?

If I we're rich I'd have cd mechanisms remade for the 3D0 so it would never have to die.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm

I know there is a hard drive mod out there. There could be an SD card one, I just haven't run into or looked for it yet.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun May 13, 2018 11:12 pm

BryWI wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:21 pm
IIRC constantly shooting drains more energy and some of the enemies that can hit you drain your energy too. I don't remember exactly how far into the game is level 6. If you give me what cut scenes are at that point id probably remember but I think there should be more than 2 recharges up to that point. What if this game doesn't react well to aging CD drives? Are you playing this on a 3DO or emulator? Ever try to see if you get that same result on an emulator if you are playing on a 3do?
I guess shooting too much must be the key, though I really didn't think I was firing more than reasonably necessary to get all the sewer critters. Guess you really have to be frugal with the ammo. Odd that the manual makes no mention of that fact. (Incidentally, though, I really like the humorous scribbles and such in the manual. It makes me wonder why companies stopped making creative manuals like this. Obviously that sort of thing wouldn't make much of an impression in a digital manual, but the most recent off-beat manual I've seen predates digital manuals by several years.)

Level 6 is after the cutscene where Falco tells you she's found the highway to solar city and then gets attacked by an unseen menace. It's really hard to miss recharge stations in this game, and just to make sure I checked the YouTube walkthrough; he doesn't hit the third recharge until well into level 7.

I'm playing on a 3DO. Still have yet to get 4DO set up on my new computer. Guess I'd better get around to that...