What's the most important thing to you in games?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

What's the most important thing to you in games?

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:41 am

I only ask because I want to know where the gamers here sit. Mind you, I am not picking on anyone at all, just curious. Obviously, the perfect package is that the game wows you with everything, but do graphics really get you going more than anything else? The Music? Story? What really wets your apetite and makes you want to sink your teeth into a game?
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:53 am

Story for me. I'm an RPG nut. This whole week I've been playing the Xenosaga trilogy and I'm 3/4's through Xenosaga Episode 2. I've practically been playing all day and all night. Waking up at 1:30 PM and playing until 5 AM. Of course I do take a couple of hour breaks every now and then (as you can see I'm here right now instead of playing the game). RPG's are also the type of games that age cannot touch if the plot holds up well. I could pop in Destiny Of An Emperor on the NES right now or Phantasy Star 2 and still be enjoying those great games.

It's a damn shame that lately all that matters is graphics and action. Ooh wow fancy game. $50? Sure I'll buy it. *2 hours later* what it's over?

Nothx
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:10 am

Yeah, there really is alot missing from games these days. I'm tired of the flashy looks with little or no meat to the game at all.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:28 am

I love a good story. But what I really enjoy is a test of skill. That's why i always like Ridge Racer.

RPGs? I've not played many, but I'm always drawn in hook-line-and-sinker.

I do enjoy adventure games too. Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Dr Hauzer ;)

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:05 pm

I like Interactivity - with things and NPCs. Clever group dynamic -
AI does things although I'm not there, but I can see them walking,
working. I hate script events.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:27 pm

I enjoy Classic RPGS a lot but i hate todays games, they have absolutely nothing to offer,its just some hours lost from your life. I have years to play a game really enjoy it and stuck with it. I cant wait for games like half life,baldurs gate style and thief,but nothing comes out... :(

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:40 pm

Setting, story, characters. Depending on the kind of game, good controls are a big plus as well.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:52 am

Good atmosphere and fresh gameplay mechanics. I guess I'm more concerned with the way a game feels, as a whole package, than just one aspect like graphics, music, or story. Basically, I'm always looking for a unique experience I can't get from any number of other games.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:49 am

easy controls to figure out, and games that arent to complicated

this is pretty much why i stopped buying systems after the Dreamcast (even tho i own an Xbox and Gamecube, but the games i have are mostly classic ports of old games)

i miss the RPGs of the Sega CD/Saturn era

the most complicated game i ever played was Everquest, and i wasted 2 years in that world and after i quit i vowed to never play another online game EVER :)

i want to relax when i play a game, and when i get frustrated or tense, im not having a relaxing time :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Blades » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:09 am

Relaxing?? :shock: That's not what a games for.

I kid, of course. To me a good game is one that gets my pulse pounding, forces me to compete in a no-holds-barred race/battle/puzzle against a cruel computer. That's why I always liked racing games. It really annoys you when you crash into something right near the finish! and really satisfies you when you pass that cpu on the last lap of 50!.

I also like speed, that drew me to Sega in general and their "blast processing" :roll: .

I agree with the easy controls part but not too easy, it has to have some depth.

Anyway, my stupid thoughts. Ignore if necessary

Blades
What Has EA turned into...tsk tsk

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Blades wrote:Relaxing?? :shock: That's not what a games for.

I kid, of course. To me a good game is one that gets my pulse pounding
i used to be that way, but ive changed over the years, maybe it was the 7 years of NHL hockey on the Genesis, or the stress and tension of playing Everquest that changed how i play, i think its more EQ that did it

i now like games like daedalus encounter, Dragon Lore, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties (i kid) :)

even tho im playing WarCraft 2 right now which can get hectic when your getting beat up by the humans :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Just plain fun, I still play Atari 2600 and NES games... by today's standards the graphics and sound are archaic but if they are fun I don't care.

Many games today seem to forget that. They want to make them challenging, ok good but running from one end of a world to another over and over and over to get a new weapon or item is not really all that challenging.. it's tedious. Metroid Prime I'm looking at you. I stopped playing MP and Wind Waker for that reason, well Wind Waker had me doing some fun things but I'd use lots of inventory and all it would do is open up a new level and give me squat. They could have at least given me some $ or a real reward, let downs like that made me stop playing that game.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"