ripping sound tracks from 3do games?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

ripping sound tracks from 3do games?

Post by acem77 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:08 pm

i see the midi files have been ripped from powerslide.(going to listen to them in my car on my way home from work.)
are there any tools to rip other music files from games such as doom(hell most games in the post of best sount tracks).
that would be awesome. i would love rips from a lot of 3do games.
what other games use midi road rash? off the top of my head most sound like streams.
i like my game music i learned how to rip DC games with a serial cable and some tools to get the ecco sound track in stereo.
all bootlegs at that point had mono down sample sound track to fit the game on a cdr from the original gd rom.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:08 pm

yeah a DOOM soundtrack was on here a while ago, but I already have it. Right now I'm working on a few including Johnny Bazookatone. :D
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:30 pm

I did it as an experiment with the Doom Soundtrack and it turned out to be ok. I got a few questions as to how it was done. This is the text I came up with. This may or may not work for you.

Seems doing this will sometimes require alot of playing around to get it to work. but i will try to give you a quick run down.

this site has many 3do utils...

http://madroms.free.fr/3do/

now..

first you have to get the actual files from off the discs. You can use uncdrom. there was also a nice windows based utility linked on the boards @ http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80

then you need to figure out which files are the music files. usualy they are labeled or are in a music folder.

sometimes these files will have an exstension, sometimes they wont. You might have to rename them with an extension to get some of the converters to work. There are a couple converters on the site i linked. You just might have to trial and error to get one of them to work. the converters are...

aifc2raw
unpackaif
zstream reader (not seeing this one the site right now)

I really have only got aifc2raw to be useful for me though. What i will do is rename the file extension to *.aifc if it is not already named that. (side note: if the file is already just an aiff or aif, try seeing if you can get it to play in sound forge first or something like that. It might not actually be compressed then) I will then run it through aifc2raw and it should output a raw file. The utility is command line based and will actually let you name the file whatever, but make it a *.raw.

I usualy take this file and load it into soundforge. When loading a raw, you have to manualy set the options for loading the file. Start with these settings...

sample rate 44,100
16bit pcm
signed
little endian(intel)
stereo

Before attempting to play the file, turn your speakers WAY DOWN. If it's wrong settings or the file didnt truly compress, the sound will be a ton of very load static. The audio representation will show this also by being a complete peaked sound wave. It could damage your speakers. IF it plays, you have to make sure it plays at the right speed or sounds right. If it plays at the wrong speed, it's usualy a sample rate issue. but you might have to play around with the options.

Once you get it right, you can save it as a WAV file and you can do whatever you want with it from there.

This will only work when the music is actually cd audio and not just using the 3do sound system. I think 3do could also have something that was midi like... but i really dont know that for sure. If that is the case, i wouldn't have any idea on ripping that music unless you do it the analog way.

Well i know this info is probably all jumbled up and maybe confusing, but i hope it helps you out a little bit. The process can be very time consuming. it can be hard to figure out where you went wrong because it could be a wrong soundforge setting or the file just didn't uncompress correctly. Lots of variables to play with. Good luck.

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:16 am

Im gonna rip the music from Alone in the dark 2 then find me a hedge maze.
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:59 pm

ahahaha. make sure you take pictures :)

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:32 pm

BryWI wrote:ahahaha. make sure you take pictures :)
Indeed I will.
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:32 pm

3DO Experience wrote:yeah a DOOM soundtrack was on here a while ago, but I already have it. Right now I'm working on a few including Johnny Bazookatone. :D
could you please point me to the doom files or repost them?
i think you could save time with Johnny Bazookatone and get it from the saturn ver that has red book audio. just rip it straight from the cd.
the ps1 ver maybe red book also. if you want i could rip the music from my copy of the saturn ver.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:47 pm

I dont have them hosted anymore but i know there was a torrent for them at one time.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 pm

acem77 wrote:i think you could save time with Johnny Bazookatone and get it from the saturn ver that has red book audio. just rip it straight from the cd. the ps1 ver maybe red book also. if you want i could rip the music from my copy of the saturn ver.
I've already ripped them I just need to put them in order.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

ZStream Author
3DO ZERO USER

Re: ripping sound tracks from 3do games?

Post by ZStream Author » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:31 am

Now is possible not only to rip music from 3do games,but to replace it.
Here is a link to a newer version of 3DO utility ZStream CHUNKS Reader 0.8.4.
http://www.emu-land.net/consoles/3do/utils