EA Employee Removed Trip Hawkins Criticism from EA Wiki Page

Post by Devin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Something I read on Digg

Read the full story on ShackNews

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:47 pm

Pathetic. Really pathetic.

In all fairness, it's probably misguided loyalty by one of the slack-jawed corporate suck-ups, who is about as interested in video games as my Mum (not at all) and believes that the current garbage spouting fool at the top has much more of a clue than Trip ever did.

It's true that the guy with the balls to found a company, is not likely to be the best guy to run it after 10 years, I've seen that a lot in the industry in which I work. And often the people who found these companies are at best 'quirky' but at least they've got a 'pair' and don't just sit around waiting for their pension like the robots that replace them.

...as you may have guessed, you hit a nerve.

I've worked in commercial 'Internet' since the early 90s, and worked for a lot of guys who founded companies, then scampered off to do other things, and have been successful, not dot-com'ers, mostly I.T. Security or system integrators - and admittedly they weren't successful every-time - but it makes me puke when a recent generation of employee do not appreciate the gamble the founders took at the time.

Founders -- Love 'em or loath 'em, you have to admit it takes a "set".

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:36 pm

heh what a horrible posting system shacknews has, just terrrrrible

i havent bought a new EA game since NHL 97 for the Genesis, everything else has been 2nd hand
the fighting over a wiki page doesnt affect me at all, as i would never look at the EA page anyway, the company is dead to me :D as is all modern gaming systems after the DC
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:42 pm

EA are painted as evil but Black was alright, NFS Carbon was actually alright, Command and Conquer Tiberium wars alright. I just pick the games that appeal to me or the ones that I'm brow-beat into buying.

...but your right Lemmi, over the past 12months neither the 360, PS3 or Wii have bought me as much joy as replaying Shenmue, WCIII and the original Resident EVil and MGS.

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:48 am

If EA want to remove things from their history, they should start with WCW backstage assault :)
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:56 pm

If it's true it is another reason for me not to buy EA products.
They suck anyway. It's all about style and sports. Perfect for
the Wii generation.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:12 pm

Last EA game I bought was 'Black' for the PS2. The next will probably be C&C 3 once it comes to the budget range of game like Black did!

It's a pity, back when Trip was at the helm EA was a really great company for taking a chance on its games. I've interviewed a few developers who had nothing but admiration for Trip and 'were' actually involved in the early days of Electronic Arts. These companies are all about money but EA seem to have lost the passion of gaming somewhat.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:47 pm

NikeX wrote:If it's true it is another reason for me not to buy EA products.
They suck anyway. It's all about style and sports. Perfect for
the Wii generation.
How about it is perfect for any of the new systems. I'll be saving my full judgements for the Wii until Metroid and Nights hit the system The PS3 is lackluster so far as is the 360. All three systems seem to be doing nothing but pretty looking graphics. To that I say Big Whoopty Doo!

As for EA employees removing Trip Hawkins' criticisms of the compnay, too bad. I guess that they may actually be figuring out that the general gaming public views them as a half assed joke these days with no more talent than Acclaim had before they bit the dust. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Need For Speed Underground, but who really gives a rats ass? Any half assed company can pull off a deacent to good racing game. Case in point; Acclaim was publishing the Burnout games long before EA got their claws into the license. I hate companies like EA as all they do anymore is buy out other companies and strip them down for maybe one game that they make and then run it through the mud until people hate the franchise. I can name quite a few; Bullfrog, Origin, Delphine Software, West Wood Studios, The list goes on and on and all I want to do is puke! I hate the current face of EAZ and I hope that gamers are enjoying being raped without lube by them when they buy that new "great" EA game. Hey, who's up for spending $150.00 for the collector's version of yet another Madden game?
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:53 pm

3DOKid wrote:EA are painted as evil but Black was alright, NFS Carbon was actually alright, Command and Conquer Tiberium wars alright. I just pick the games that appeal to me or the ones that I'm brow-beat into buying.

...but your right Lemmi, over the past 12months neither the 360, PS3 or Wii have bought me as much joy as replaying Shenmue, WCIII and the original Resident EVil and MGS.
Black was awful. The graphics are fantastic but that's about it. Halfway through the 2nd mission I realized what the rest of the game would be. Trudging through dumbass terrain with missions lasting over an hour with no ingame save.

Of course don't forget the cliche.

Hot tempered American Rambo style warrior runs around killing evil commie Russians (because apparently Russians can't be portrayed differently in video games. Cold War = over. Wake up plz)

"COVER ME"

Why should I cover you? You have unlimited health =\

Back on topic... the article makes me want to vomit.

EA = AIDS

"hai gaiz. letz try to be cool and dif'rent and make our Genesis games have a diff'rently shaped cartridge. it'll be fun lol ^_^"
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 pm

Black was alright I thought - although my view on FPS are well known.

As for Russians getting a hard time? You should see how the British are portrayed. Braveheart, Joan of Arc, The Patriot, Patriot Games, Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Last Action hero, the list of bad ENglish representation is endless. We're either villians, rapists, murdering home wreckers or Hugh Grant.

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:05 pm

3DOKid wrote:We're either villians, rapists, murdering home wreckers.
Thats pretty much me and every other Englishman I know to a tee.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:33 pm

3DOKid wrote:(...)

As for Russians getting a hard time? You should see how the British are portrayed. Braveheart, Joan of Arc, The Patriot, Patriot Games, Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Last Action hero, the list of bad ENglish representation is endless. We're either villians, rapists, murdering home wreckers or Hugh Grant.
Oh yeah? Check out us Germans in every shooting game.

"Hallo look at mii, I'm a Nazi riding on a Dinosaur!
And yes, Germany is run by da Kaiser! And the sun spins
around the earth! I have blond hair! My Leben!"

I makes me want to write german:
"Alles voller Klischee in jedem verdammten Spiel auf diesem Planeten!"

And UK does at least have little Britain and Monty Python, great
underground independent music and some very good software
companies (check out WipEout - my most favorite game).
Last edited by NikeX on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:33 pm

woops

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:14 pm

The Germans do indeed get a bad representation. I'll agree with that. However, the Kaiser is almost remembered fondly as opposed a certain Austrian born German leader - who now represents pure evil personified and is singularly the thing most associated with Germany. (After Mercedes, Porsche and BMW...!)

Certain countries are doomed to play a role I guess. British, American, Russian, German, French, even Japanese but comparatively the Japanese get let off lightly, they are remembered as camera carrying tourists or Ninjas, sometimes Pearl Harbor, but less frequently in the UK -- However, do you see a theme?

Our countries, well, these countries of ours, seem to take it quietly -- however, it makes a mockery of the whole Resident Evil 5 whinging doesn't it?

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:44 am

I hear Resident Evil 6 is going to be sent in Antarctica with zombie penguins. Resident Evil 7 is going to be set in Final Fantasy 7. Time for sleep.

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:20 am

bonefish wrote: Resident Evil 7 is going to be set in Final Fantasy 7. Time for sleep.
Thats one pre-order right here.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:27 pm

Yeah - you'll be able to shoot all your faourite Final Fatasy characters - except for Barrett. :/

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:27 pm

lol@3dokid

good one :lol:

Jessie Jackson+Al Sharpton will come running