Decathalon

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Decathalon

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:29 pm

How we all getting on with this? I'm loving the graphics but the events are somewhat difficult - mostly because I don't know the keys to press. Anyone have any clues?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:14 pm

I only briefly played upon where i think i must of picked the event that didnt work correctly. At which point my 3do was messin up and took me a couple hours to figure out that freedo 1.7 runs better on my system than the newer two. But i never really got to playing it but the game is still sitting on top of my gamecube (weird?) with the other new ones. I play it sometime i suppose lol.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:03 pm

Which events are you having trouble with? I'm finding a few tough myself, although I finally figured out the javelin. Once you get running hold up on the control pad, and the meter on the left will start filling in with yellow color. Do not release it until this is about halfway or so, because the release determines the arc of your throw. Release too early and it will go low into the ground ... release too late and it will go straigh in the air (w/your athlete screaming as it tumbles towards him :lol: ) Timing is key too, so don't hit up until your athlete is aobut 2/3 the way up the track. If your late he'll cross the line & fault, and if you are early he'll throw too soon. Took a few times, but know I've got it down pat. Let me know if you figure out Pole Vault, or the discus.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:43 pm

I sussed Javelin, I thought I had figured high jump too. but I couldn't repeat it.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:26 pm

Pole Vault is glitchy, but this works usually.

Run by alternately tapping A & C, slowly at first, then pick up speed.

As your player runs, he'll automatically start to lower his pole (from certain angles, you'll see a stripe on the ground to the left of the track at this point as well), right as he does, push down. As he starts his upswing, push up. Then press A at the point in his arc that you want to release.

The toughest part is figuring out the release point for the later heights.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:34 pm

Thank you very much for the tips Drax! :)

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:36 pm

No problem, and I found releasing the UP and then tapping it again sped up the throwing of the Javelin.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:44 pm

Well, I was just going to buy this game, since it is the only new 3DO game I've interested in, besides Powerslide, whcih I would have gotten, until I found out how incomplete it is. Then I looked at Decathalon and it looks AWSOME. So I just went to Oldergames.com to purchase it, but it's not listed any longer! Even the search turns up NOTHING! So I'm guessing they have sold out, though it would have been nice if they still listed it and just say "SOLD OUT" so I know for sure. Does anyone know if they truly are out of the game and that it won't be published anymore?!?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:21 pm

This is pretty buggy, but I have a few original copies kicking about...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Gunstar wrote:....Does anyone know if they truly are out of the game and that it won't be published anymore?!?
Only 50 copies of there game were and ever will be made. You are wayyyyy too late.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:41 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Gunstar wrote:....Does anyone know if they truly are out of the game and that it won't be published anymore?!?
Only 50 copies of there game were and ever will be made. You are wayyyyy too late.
Oh, well. It's not THAT big of a deal. It does suprise me that all 50 copies sold out so fast and that they sold out at all, though. That's a good sign that the 3DO community is alive and well though I guess.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:11 am

I agree, I think it shows that support is & will be there for future 3DO products. It is kinda a shame that the game had such a limited print run (I think it is the best of all the Oldergames releases)