Snow Job.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Snow Job.

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:40 am

Anyone ever complete this? I played it quite far a couple of years back and then never played it again. Well, I just bought a legal copy and was thinking I may give it another crack...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:38 am

It is the next 3DO game on my list to play through! (I'm going through all my point n' click titles for all platforms) . The only thing that I didn't like about it when I played it before is that it's possible to fail & complete everything on a given day & thus not be able to beat the game. But I really am just nit picking.

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:48 pm

I played through disc one a few months back and still havnt gotten round to carrying on haha.
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:47 am

I have never finished the game. I just really suck balls on this game. I need to pop i9t in again as I love Traci Scoggins! :oops:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:17 am

I bought this game new from some friends I know at the local flea market years ago. One of the friends is a youngish kid and he started joking bout the name calling it Blow Job. It was pretty funny then and even though I only saw them there once a year or so, they always bring that name up first. Of course now I think of calling it Blow Job whenever I see its correct name.

I played it some, but it never really worked for me that much.

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:20 am

T2KFreeker wrote:I have never finished the game. I just really suck balls on this game. I need to pop i9t in again as I love Traci Scoggins! :oops:
When I read that the first time, I thought you said you needed to pop it in Traci Scoggins... lol

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:26 am

Hound wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:I have never finished the game. I just really suck balls on this game. I need to pop i9t in again as I love Traci Scoggins! :oops:
When I read that the first time, I thought you said you needed to pop it in Traci Scoggins... lol
Well, I do, wouldn't you? LOL

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Tracy Scroggins - that has go to be the least attractive name ever. (No one here is called Scroggins are they?) It's like being called Bertha "Dumptruck" Deadhead or something. I take she is the one in the red dress?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:35 am

I also loved Tracy as a late addition to the cast of the great series "Babylon 5"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:05 am

Lois and Clark was my favorite TV show growing up, and though I didn't care much for the character Cat herself, Scroggins' performance was good. The way she says "Sorry I asked" at the end of the episode where the Globe staff are held hostage by robbers is forever imprinted on my memory.

With that necrothreading done: I popped this game in for a test drive yesterday. Looks very promising so far, and I like the real world aspects like your wallet and the clock. I know those things weren't uncommon in PC adventure games of the time, but you don't usually see them on console adventure games. The ability to look all around yourself is a bit different, too. I'm not impressed with the guy they chose for the lead part - he goes through every scene like he's half asleep - but hopefully that'll improve as the game goes on.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:36 am

Martin III wrote:Lois and Clark was my favorite TV show growing up, and though I didn't care much for the character Cat herself, Scroggins' performance was good. The way she says "Sorry I asked" at the end of the episode where the Globe staff are held hostage by robbers is forever imprinted on my memory.
Lol, that was a great episode! As a kid, I loved the first two seasons of Lois & Clark. Early in season 3 though it started getting beyond ridiculous, and season 4 wasn't any better imo. Still, a great first two years!
Martin III wrote:I'm not impressed with the guy they chose for the lead part - he goes through every scene like he's half asleep - but hopefully that'll improve as the game goes on.
It really doesn't. He did grow on me over time though, in spite of his casual manner.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Yeah, still a good game, however, I do find Daedalus Encounter so much better. Tia Carrera man! Can't say anything more, right? :wink: Still, I need to obtain another copy of Snow Job again. Mine seems to have poofed.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 am

Trev wrote:Lol, that was a great episode! As a kid, I loved the first two seasons of Lois & Clark. Early in season 3 though it started getting beyond ridiculous, and season 4 wasn't any better imo. Still, a great first two years!
Season 3 is actually my favorite one. The relationship between the titular heroes got really fun, "Don't Tug on Superman's Cape" has one of the best plotlines of the series (to say nothing of the unforgettably hilarious spoofs of I Love Lucy, Dragnet, and James Bond), and John Shea did some of his best performances. Season 4 has some good episodes too, though I'll agree that the final two episodes are terrible.
Trev wrote:
Martin III wrote:I'm not impressed with the guy they chose for the lead part - he goes through every scene like he's half asleep - but hopefully that'll improve as the game goes on.
It really doesn't. He did grow on me over time though, in spite of his casual manner.
Darn. Well, at least it makes me appreciate more how likeable a lead Kevin Brezahan of Psychic Detective is.

I've gotten as far as Day Two. Funnily enough, on my first try on B's Grill or whatever, I stumbled upon the path to free beers. Didn't have enough time left to talk to my buddy after that, though, and on my next couple attempts I managed to get myself tossed out. :) The acting in the bar's audio clips is pretty amusingly awful.

The crossword puzzles are fun, though having finished the second one with no apparent reward for it, I'm starting to wonder if they're essentially just a way to waste money. (Train fare to the newspaper kiosk: $1.50 Daily newspaper: $1 Book with hints to the crossword puzzle: $10 Having a solved crossword in your inventory: Priceless.)

Having to play Craps to get info from a street punk is bizarre. When he first said it, I honestly assumed that he must be talking about a completely different game with the same name. I didn't have much luck with it - one win out of five tries. I'm rather suspicious about how the guy has you ante up twice for each game, and then tells you to pay him the $10 on top of that if you lose. :? But my wallet doesn't seem that much lighter, so I'm guessing the game engine is playing me straight.

One thing that's nagging me is how counterintuitive the interface is at almost every point. For instance, why can't you use "B" to back out of the game menu? Why do dialogue menus default to "End Conversation"? Why are crossword puzzles navigated using the shoulder buttons? Why doesn't the pointer automatically change to whatever action is available, instead of making you cycle through every possibility by trial and error? And so on.

To be honest, Snow Job hasn't grabbed me like I thought it would, but I am enjoying it all the same. I'm off to check out the arcade now...

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:53 pm

A bummer that the playable game in the arcade is a third-rate Breakout clone. They even tease you with a voice over from Jock identifying a shmup... I guess that would have made Snow Job the only shmup in the 3DO's library, right? The most annoying part is it only lets you play one token at a time. Come on, Studio 3DO... did you really think people would enjoy waiting for the game to load over and over again?

I'm surprised that they made it so obvious what you're supposed to do with the red sedan. For a game that's been repeatedly leaving me to ask "Okay, now what?", the actual puzzles are very easy.

Seems like there's nothing whatsoever to do at the pizza place, though... or the video rental store. Hmm. And I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get tokens for laser tag, either. Taking a break to think this one out.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:15 am

Nah, Flopon World in Japan, it's main game is a shmup (more of a Galaga-styled one, anyway). Likewise, Fun 'n Games has a shmup in it as well. Albeit not a very good one.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:40 am

Martin III wrote:A bummer that the playable game in the arcade is a third-rate Breakout clone. They even tease you with a voice over from Jock identifying a shmup... I guess that would have made Snow Job the only shmup in the 3DO's library, right? The most annoying part is it only lets you play one token at a time. Come on, Studio 3DO... did you really think people would enjoy waiting for the game to load over and over again?

I'm surprised that they made it so obvious what you're supposed to do with the red sedan. For a game that's been repeatedly leaving me to ask "Okay, now what?", the actual puzzles are very easy.

Seems like there's nothing whatsoever to do at the pizza place, though... or the video rental store. Hmm. And I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get tokens for laser tag, either. Taking a break to think this one out.
I agree, the arcade game is underwhelming. And they should have allowed multiple plays, since you will likely have to play at least a few times ...

Good thing you got the red car clue! I'm convinced that if you don't actually listen to it in full (or tip the waitress wrong maybe) it won't trigger the car to show up! It's happened to me twice! :shock:

There is definitely something to do at the pizza place, although strangely I don't remember the video store ... The laser tag game is important for the story, though the actual game itself is even lame than some of the "Diversions" on the original 3DO sample disc. :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri May 03, 2013 2:32 am

Agh, I give up. After many hours puzzling out what I was supposed to do, I caved and checked a walkthrough, which informs me that I was supposed to visit Lana earlier in the day. My immediate thought was "You gotta be kidding me." I'd already been calling Lana and visiting the D.A.'s office at all hours of the day, and every single time the place was closed up, with nothing but a keypad to click on. :x I'd eventually come to the conclusion that the developers had artificially delayed your meeting with Lana because they couldn't come up with a reason why she wouldn't give you all the facts of the case from the beginning.

Fortunately, I'd kept a save file at the beginning of the day, so I loaded that up and went to the D.A.'s office. By good luck, this time the place was actually open, and I got to talk to Lana. Unfortunately, the conversation didn't suggest any course of action to me, and after going over every last pixel of both Lana's office and her secretary's desk, I found nothing but some notes that are clearly meant to be illegible.

Okay, I guess that makes sense... If Jock were the sort to steal evidence, Lana wouldn't have left him alone and unsupervised in her office with evidence lying around, right? And anyway, that conversation must have opened something up, right? So I went on and - ugh - did the craps and Breakout minigames again. Then the car tracking, only to find there's still nothing to do at the pizza or video places (unless you count buying a pizza). Day-end report, I haven't completed Day Two. So, back to the walkthrough... which says I was supposed to retrieve three different items from Lana's office and her secretary's desk. "You gotta be kidding me!!!"

So, I'm going to go ahead to day three without worrying about beating the game. At the least, this way I'll get some modicum of enjoyment out of it, and maybe it'll even give me a better idea of what I need to get done. In all likelihood, though, if I ever replay Snow Job, I'll follow a walkthrough; definitely not my playing style, but this game is just way too unforgiving for a point-and-click adventure.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat May 04, 2013 1:10 am

Martin III wrote:Day-end report, I haven't completed Day Two. So, back to the walkthrough... which says I was supposed to retrieve three different items from Lana's office and her secretary's desk. "You gotta be kidding me!!!"

So, I'm going to go ahead to day three without worrying about beating the game. At the least, this way I'll get some modicum of enjoyment out of it, and maybe it'll even give me a better idea of what I need to get done. In all likelihood, though, if I ever replay Snow Job, I'll follow a walkthrough; definitely not my playing style, but this game is just way too unforgiving for a point-and-click adventure.
Multiple save files are pretty much a must ... although I don't think Snow Job is too unforgiving, at least when compared to some of the Sierra games from the 80's. Snow Job will at least let you know if you fail a day ... some of the Sierra games would let you get practically to the end before you realize your at a dead end!. But I tend to agree with you ... I much prefer the styled of the Lucas Arts point n' click games.

Be prepared ... one of the bad endings, imo, is shocking! :shock:

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sat May 04, 2013 9:51 am

NOTHING TO ADD...
Trev/Martiniii, however, I was just going to chime in and say I own/played this years ago with a friend and never finished it, but I was really charmed and impressed with the fact it used real world panoramic/360 style imagery for the gfx, out of the highstreet and in the house itself etc.

We weren't taking it seriously and, ordinarily, I wouldn't play this sort of game, but as Dark suggested in another thread, 'because' it's on the 3DO, I'll pay attention to it.

Might give it another look down the line, soley on the shallow basis that I think the whole thing looks cool - from the box art to the in-game visuals and visual concept: actual reality! :D

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue May 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Trev wrote:Multiple save files are pretty much a must ... although I don't think Snow Job is too unforgiving, at least when compared to some of the Sierra games from the 80's. Snow Job will at least let you know if you fail a day ... some of the Sierra games would let you get practically to the end before you realize your at a dead end!. But I tend to agree with you ... I much prefer the styled of the Lucas Arts point n' click games.
I don't know, I think it's actually more annoying playing the same day over and over than it is to replay the game from scratch. That's why I'm going ahead with Day Three.

Anyway, the problem isn't so much being sent back as it is how easy it is to be sent back. Individually, the lack of any hint that you're supposed to enter Lara's office on Day Two, the excessively narrow time frame in which you can enter said office, and the camoflauged nature of all three items in the office (e.g. the rolodex is positioned to make it look like clicking on it is the same as clicking on the useless computer) are all forgivable, but put together they make completing Day Two an utterly ridiculous task.

Haven't played much since I last posted, but I have checked out the car rental place. The fact that you get shot for walking through an open door is unintentionally hilarious. Apparently the Snowman's boys are just a wee bit on the totally careless side!

Still have no idea who the guy on the top of the high score list is. Funny how his name isn't in any of the places you'd expect it to be: the Long Island website, Lana's rolodex, etc. Of course, the game seemed to hint that that was a Day Two thing, so maybe I should forget about it.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Day Three was surprisingly boring. Aside from the car rental place and its list of names and numbers which mean nothing to me as of yet, there's nothing to do but the spy job on the brunette's apartment. I wonder if Studio 3DO had to make Day Three a short one so that it wouldn't run over into Disc Two?

Started up Day Four and, amusingly, asking Wires about "Howard & Fine Inc." is an option, even though I've never heard of the place. Makes me wonder if it's actually possible to get a "You blew it" at the end of a day and still beat the game. Anyway, on looking the company up on the internet, I immediately recognized the name of the owning company, and patted myself on the back for some good detective work. :) Guess it's time to check out the marina now...

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu May 09, 2013 5:52 pm

...or not. Why is it that everything in this game that seems like a breakthrough is actually an immediate dead end? More out of curiosity than anything, I checked the in-game hints. They say I need to buy a pizza. I have the place's address - why do I need a pizza? Am I going to ride it there? Anyway, I already had a pizza and the Marina still doesn't show up on the map.

So, virtually nothing to do on Day Four. It frustrates me how they had all those new locations pop up when you're tracking Dusty, all of them with nothing to do but listen to Jock's lame wisecracks. The guy should be kicked in the balls for making that "communing with nature" remark.

Still, at least I took in another conversation with Lara. Funny how this time she has the smarts not to leave Jock in her office unattended, even though he didn't take anything on this playthrough.

With no leads left to follow, my interest dropped to near zero, so I ended Day Five immediately and was rewarded with one of the game's endings. Ice Pick is hilarious; spends thrice as much time jabbering as he does shooting, and I could hardly understand a word he was saying. :lol: "Biggup the dillyoo wid Snowman, youse dun brinin' wut ribbin' down!" Yeah, sure dude. Whatever. :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Started 'er up from the beginning of Day Two yesterday, and now have properly completed Days Two through Four.

Day Two - Phaser Tag was surprisingly fun, an intense little experience. Reminds me a lot of Enemy Zero, though much cruder of course. And much easier. I laughed at how they actually labeled the "secret door". Definitely the best of the mini-games thus far.

So, I was able to make my Central Park rendezvous. And man, Jock is useless there, isn't he?

Day Three - Good grief, that is the most obnoxious beeper I've ever heard. For that matter, the sound effects in Snow Job seem to be on the annoying side in general. Is it just me?

Day Four - It still surprises me how little there is to do on this day. And Jock is still sluggish at 9 a.m. even though he's been sleeping for the past 12+ hours. :roll: I also still have no idea why Jock asks about Howard & Fine Inc. My guess is that the guy Dusty was talking to is the "Brandon" who owns the company, but how did Jock know that before he looked up Howard & Fine? Is this a simple oversight on Studio 3DO's part?

Interesting point for Snow Job enthusiasts: In the second conversation with Lara in her office, if you didn't get the Santos token, you can ask Lara about the video of Dusty and Frost. I noticed that this option is missing if you complete Days Two and Three properly, since Jock has too many other things to show her.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue May 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Martin III wrote: Day Two - Phaser Tag was surprisingly fun, an intense little experience. Reminds me a lot of Enemy Zero, though much cruder of course. And much easier. I laughed at how they actually labeled the "secret door". Definitely the best of the mini-games thus far.
You really thought it was fun? I thought it was so dull and lame ... although I do agree about the secret door bit.

I'm glad you decided to start over, even though it seems you aren't caring for the game that much. Let me know if you are thinking about doing a review.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Trev wrote:I'm glad you decided to start over, even though it seems you aren't caring for the game that much. Let me know if you are thinking about doing a review.
I am, but first I have to finish the review I'm working on now, and I think after that I'm going to do a review of Guardian War.

Day Five was the best day yet, at least until the end. After reading the daily message, I followed the walkthrough's directions to Avenue A. And oy, here's a pointless minigame. I love first person dungeon crawls, but what's the point when all you're doing is finding the exit? By the way, is it my imagination, or is the grunt used here and in several other minigames the same as the one from Doom when your character takes damage?

Anyway, I had a panic attack when I realized that the key I threw away a while back (because the walkthrough never said to pick it up in the first place) is needed to open up the circuit box! Huge wave of relief when I realized you can get a copy from the toolbox right outside. Oddly, the walkthrough doesn't say anything about the toolbox, either... Maybe I need to start using a different walkthrough.

The phone hacking minigame is fun. Sure, it's just trial-and-error, but this is one instance where the protagonist using trial-and-error actually makes sense. Entering the phone number is even more fun; I love Mastermind.

Found the keys to Howard & Fine no problem, so on to the computer. I have to admit that I found the computer hacking minigame kind of cool, even if it is frustrating that after all that work I put into copying down Wires's directions for the remote logon (which he sayssoquicklythewordsallruntogether), they turn out to have no application.

Back to the bar for more fun with ol' motor mouth Ice Pick... I'm almost disappointed that this time I could understand everything he said. Where the day falls apart is in the two minigames which follow. I think I'll save all my griping about those two for my review - they're that bad. The following scene being done with just a still shot and voice overs is rather embarrassing, too. I understand the need to conserve space, but Snow Job doesn't seem to have much to it for a two disc game. Did they really need to be this frugal with FMV?

Day Six, we finally have some momentum. On the down side, why can't I go into the Howard & Fine computer to read the daily message? I've got the remote logon installed and everything! Sorry, Wires, but this particular tech toy of yours is apparently no more than a paperweight.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 am

Martin III wrote: Where the day falls apart is in the two minigames which follow. I think I'll save all my griping about those two for my review - they're that bad.
I gotta agree with you ... they are pretty lame.

Any interest in doing a Siskel & Ebert style co-review?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri May 17, 2013 1:28 am

Trev wrote:Any interest in doing a Siskel & Ebert style co-review?
I'm intrigued. What would be involved? Bear in mind I've never watched or read Siskel & Ebert.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 17, 2013 2:47 am

Martin III wrote:
I'm intrigued. What would be involved? Bear in mind I've never watched or read Siskel & Ebert.
I hardly ever watched them myself. Not quite sure exactly ... I suppose we could each do rough drafts, and see what point we agree/disagree on. Then maybe combine them & write it up like we were having a conversation or something?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 am

Trev wrote:
Martin III wrote:
I hardly ever watched them myself. Not quite sure exactly ... I suppose we could each do rough drafts, and see what point we agree/disagree on. Then maybe combine them & write it up like we were having a conversation or something?
Sounds good to me. We're both bound to bring up issues that the other doesn't mention, but we could just add replies when we're merging the two together.

Finished the game yesterday. And I found the answer to one of my earlier questions: Yes, it is possible to get a "You blew it" on a day end report and still get a happy ending. For some reason, I absolutely could not get a complete on Day Seven, even though I'd done everything the walkthrough listed for that day. Since I couldn't imagine what else I might need to hack the Snowman's account, I went ahead with Day Eight and completed it.

I had to redo the hack map several times (oy... tedious...), first because I didn't realize you need printouts of the Geneva account number and hacking passwords (honestly, Studio 3DO... :evil: the player can't look at the printouts while hacking, so you need to both write them down on a real world notepad and have the printouts in inventory, which is both counterintuitive and unnecessary busy work), second because I couldn't figure out why my balance was $1 (I was hacking at 9:02 A.M., after the gang had transferred the money). On the plus side, I got a nostalgic grin on my face every time I heard the dial-up internet sound. And bless you, Studio 3DO, for not making us actually type up all those phone numbers and passwords.

Overall, I didn't care for the final puzzle. Simply copying numbers isn't very stimulating. And from the storyline perspective, tricking the gang into turning on each other isn't exactly a heroic way of resolving the problem. It feels like Jock just grabbed the easy way out since he couldn't beat the Snowman by the book. If he'd had an actual grudge against Braden, I might find what he did justifiable, but as it is...

By the way, this is going back to Day Six, but... Is it just me, or is Jock on the verge of a lecherous smirk when Lara tells him his evidence against Fahn needs to be "rock solid"?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Re:

Post by Martin III » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 am

Martin III wrote:By the way, this is going back to Day Six, but... Is it just me, or is Jock on the verge of a lecherous smirk when Lara tells him his evidence against Fahn needs to be "rock solid"?
Hmm. So no one remembers this part of the game?

Hey Trev, just wanted to check if you are still interested in doing a co-review? Just asking because I've started gathering together my notes to review the game, and if I'm going to be putting it together with your stuff I want to make the tone a bit different.