Is it ok to post SDKs?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

akula
3DO ZERO USER

Is it ok to post SDKs?

Post by akula » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:32 am

Legal question to those of you who have websites etc; is it legal/acceptable to post official SDKs online for older unsupported consoles like 3DO and PSone (i.e PsyQ) ?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:28 am

As in a download of the... I have no idea what you're asking, really. Documentation is legal as the only people bound by NDAs would be developers. If you're talking about the software, I have no idea if that's technically legal or what. I would guess no, but I would also guess that Trip Hawkins isn't currently sweating any potential lost profits.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 am

I guess, and I imagine they are, that the SDKs are protected by copyright. The guys over at Freedo (www.freedo.org) probably have a better idea.

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:18 pm

Simple answer: It's illegal. And since SDKs are almost always confidential (age doesn't matter), it's also quite risky to offer them for download.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Yea, but who is going to catch you? The ROM police monitoring the transfer of SNES games?
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:24 pm

It would be silly to compare SDKs with games. SDKs are thousands of dollars and confidential. And the rights to the various SDKs are hold by renowned companies. Messing with their rights is something you certainly don't want to do.

akula
3DO ZERO USER

Post by akula » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:15 am

WindowsKiller wrote:It would be silly to compare SDKs with games. SDKs are thousands of dollars and confidential. And the rights to the various SDKs are hold by renowned companies. Messing with their rights is something you certainly don't want to do.
But these SDKs are ancient, they are not supported or even available for sale to developers anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if even the companies themselves dont have the sdk's anymore - do you really think Microsoft has the 3do sdk in its data base? Id think the same for PSone, N64, etc At any rate the risk seems very low to me, you dont agree?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:53 am

PSX and N64 would be biohazardous to post for download, seeing as they are still intact companies that never released their systems into the public domain for development.

As far as the 3DO, I'll need to see some documentation about that Microsoft thing, please. Last I had heard... which was at the time of liquidation, nobody had purchased the core technologies of the already-dead 3DO system. Pieces of the company were sold off at auction, to many many different buyers, and much of the company simply wasn't sold.

I don't think we're risking much by posting an SDK, personally.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:36 pm

I agree w/Vance.

Companies stand nothing to gain from 3do hardware properties. Some may care if you download their games (if they even exist anymore). But the hardware is outdated, interest isn't there so much, and for instance I don't see the 3do ending up on something like the Virtual Console anytime soon. For instance Sega fans are all in a tizzy because they renewed the Dreamcast trademark OMG !!!eleevnyttyy!@!@@# SEGA IS GOING TO MAKE TEH DREAMCAST 2!! When the more logical thought is Dreamcast may be coming to Virtual Console etc...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:55 pm

Would the Wii struggle to emulate the DC? I figured Sega were just protecting their trade names.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:39 pm

DREAMCAST 2?

NOWAI!
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:25 am

Interesting we're having this debate, given I posted the 3DO SDK a while back. :)

But yeah, I wouldn't do the same with any company that still exists, or where it's clear who owns the rights.

akula
3DO ZERO USER

Post by akula » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:51 am

Doesn't the posting of such older SDKs fall under "fair use". Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use After all fair use clause ONLY applies to copyrighted material.

cdoty
Bringer of game signing

Post by cdoty » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Most companies wouldn't waste the time needed to 'find' all the copies of old SDKs posted on the internet.

What 'damage' could they legally sue for? They're not selling it anymore, and they don't license software for use on older systems. So the worst you could expect would probably be a cease an desist letter.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:43 pm

good friends of mine "cease and desist" they help me at work ;)

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:15 am

UnholyTancred wrote:DREAMCAST 2?

NOWAI!
Indeed, no way. Sega is just protecting its assets. While I believe Sega declared the Dreamcast safe to develop homebrews for, they're hardly going to let their IP fall into the public domain.

Just a bunch of fans getting their hopes up for nothing. If Sega were making a return to consoles, Sonic wouldn't be plastered all over Marioland.