Space Hulk: 3DO vs. Saturn

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:52 pm

Anyone ever get to compare the 3DO and SEGA Saturn versions of Space Hulk?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:44 pm

It was port from the 3DO wasn't it? I've never seen the Saturn version but one would imagine it was pretty awful.

1) Because ports are usually awful. Certainly were back in 1995.
2) You don't hear Saturn owners harping on about it ever.

Which leads me to believe it was a bit pap.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:03 am

this isnt s detailed description of the games but its from a guy who likes space hulk
by Gunstar

SpaceHulk on the 3DO is much better than the Saturn version.I bought it (Saturn version) when I lost my 3DO version, and couldn't find another. Boy, was I disappointed in the graphics and movement compared to the 3DO version. I had to find the 3DO version again
I prefer Starfighter, Battlesport, roadrash, Spacehulk and others on the 3DO over the Saturn versions because of the 640x480 interlaced graphics the 3DO displayed. Jaguar, Saturn and PSX all displayed non-interlaced 320x224 (about) resolution most of the time. So the 3DO versions look a lot sharper. Although Spacehulk sucks on anything but the 3DO regardless.
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Extralounge
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Extralounge » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:13 am

I don't have space hulk for my 3DO
although at the time I was intrigued
by this game.

you can go and compare the two versions
at: http://www.videogamecritic.net/

ciao :o
(((((EXTRALOUNGE)))))
(((((RETROGAMER)))))

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:03 am

3DOKid wrote:It was port from the 3DO wasn't it? I've never seen the Saturn version but one would imagine it was pretty awful.

The Saturn... the only system that I own that isn't hooked up, and sits in my closet. That thing was scat on so many levels, the only good things about it was Nights, a couple arcade games, and the boot screen.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:37 am

bonefish wrote:
3DOKid wrote:It was port from the 3DO wasn't it? I've never seen the Saturn version but one would imagine it was pretty awful.

The Saturn... the only system that I own that isn't hooked up, and sits in my closet. That thing was scat on so many levels, the only good things about it was Nights, a couple arcade games, and the boot screen.
I'm with you. Sort of. There is a lot of Internet love lavished on the Saturn. Most of it undeserving.

I've had one since launch.

And indeed, a couple of arcade conversion were indeed good. Virtua Cop and Sega Rally most notably. Virtua Racing was done some justice. Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 also.

..but everything was crap. Imparticular Nights. I bought Nights on release for two reasons:

1) In the Uk it came with a analogue controller that I fancied.
2) Everyone was singing about Nights.

With Nights you loop around a bit. Then after while you wander about a bit. What's to love? Just crap - sorry. I really, truly don't understand why it's loved so much. If Nights was so damn good, it would have been cloned to high-heaven. There would have been Mario-Nights, and on the PSX ShiNights with heavy metal-techno-acid sound track but there wasn't was there? (I'm not having a go at you Bonefish btw.)

...and I'm not paying $200 for Raident Silver gun what ever the hell the shoot 'em is called.

3DO151
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DO151 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:23 pm

3DO owners envy the saturn!!! The saturn is a great system.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:13 pm

Thank you all for your comments, actually it's a port from the PC but they re-worked so much of it for the 3DO that the console version is better than the PC version.

It seems to me that the 3DO version beats the Saturn version... guess that's one less reason to get the system.

I never got one due to being biased against SEGA (I'm a Nintendo fan who'd buy any new competitor but not their long standing one) and lately I've been thinking about picking up a Saturn to play with.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:47 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Thank you all for your comments, actually it's a port from the PC but they re-worked so much of it for the 3DO that the console version is better than the PC version.

It seems to me that the 3DO version beats the Saturn version... guess that's one less reason to get the system.

I never got one due to being biased against SEGA (I'm a Nintendo fan who'd buy any new competitor but not their long standing one) and lately I've been thinking about picking up a Saturn to play with.

You should pick up a Saturn, its a great system if you're feeling a need for a Sega or Sega Arcade style fix, and some good 2d games (better on MAME though). Just that usually anything else a better fix is found else where.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:20 am

3DO151 wrote:3DO owners envy the saturn!!! The saturn is a great system.
I own a Saturn. Therefore I envy myself. Envy being a deadly sin and all, I think you have just created a religious paradox that menas either we are going to hell, or indeed, God doesn't exist. Well done.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:13 am

I own a Saturn and I love it with all my heart.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:19 am

yeah, I'm gonna have to get one some day

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:10 am

The Saturn started off... well, oddly. A lot of people resented their sneaky reenactment of Pearl Harbor by shipping it unannounced to only a handful of retailers like Wal-Mart, and by the time the confusion was over the Playstation had clearly become the console to watch.

Still, some of the early games on the Saturn were great. That version of Road Rash was pretty good, Nights of course, and some surprisingly clever 2D platformers. Unfortunately, as time went on, they only started to get shit like Albert Odyssey.

Loading.... loading.... loading....

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:31 pm

I've always been a SEGA hater, until the Dreamcast. At first I was like, "why even bother?" but after a friend of mine showed me her's I totally had to have one. Now I don't hate on any system so much.... except the gaystation. :twisted:

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:03 pm

heh im a playstation hater :)
well more like anything Sony hater really

since the Genesis ive been a sega fanboy
and ive been playing the Saturn on and off for the past 6 months
i need to put something other than Warcraft 2 in the machine tho, i have 86 other games i could play, maybe i will play some Valora Valley Golf next
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Since 'Nights' has been mentioned so much in this thread, I gotta ask if anyone has played 'Journey into dreams' for the Wii?

I too love Nights ... and the Saturn for that matter! :D