HELL: A Cyberpunk Thriller - 3DO port differences?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

HELL: A Cyberpunk Thriller - 3DO port differences?

Post by Mr. Payback » Mon May 05, 2008 3:27 am

Hey guys.

I just picked up a copy of this for my 3DO and after a while I got stuck and looked at the FAQ available on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/3do/file/584398/2056

However, I immediately noticed that lots of stuff doesn't seem to match up. For example, the GameFAQs version heartily recommends that I chat up the demon Sanguinarius, and when I did that he threatened to disembowel me and feed my entrails to the hell hounds, and then he disemboweled me and fed my entrails to the hell hounds. While I did feel that Mr. Sanguinarius was refreshingly honest and not all-talk like most villains, it's making it really hard to progress in the game when the FAQ often doesn't apply to me.

Additionally, there isn't a lame arcade sequence when I use the creeper to avoid the security system in Ressurections, Inc., the freaks killed the old man before I could talk to him, and perhaps funniest of all - the psionic I was trying to save cooked up this plan with me to distract his would-be assassin, and IMMEDIATELY after that cutscene the dude just gets up and blasts the psionic. And his girlfriend keeps telling me that he's in imminent danger and I guess I don't have the heart to tell her that he totally died like three days ago. Also Dean the Demon Hunter promised me that he'd have a location on Asmodeus in a few days and it's been 7 days in game time and I've run out of things to do while I wait.

The PC FAQ by Johnny Chu appears to be the only one on the net, reposted hundreds of times on various sites. A few people on forums mention that the game has some bugs, but don't go into minutia.

So, I guess my questions are:

Is there a 3DO faq for this game?
If some key characters die, can I still beat the game?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon May 05, 2008 10:45 pm

the 3DO game is easier than the PC version. You don't have to worry about characters dieing just worry about getting rid of them before you have finished using them. Oh and don't pick up the head, you'll regret it.

Prima's official strategy guide is much better than the "Johnny Chu" version (I've seen multiple people claim to be the original author but all the oldest copies have no author credit). Prima's covers both versions and it's easier to just look up the part you are stuck on. I suggest buying it if you are having trouble and online one isn't helping you.

I had the luck of playing the PC without the book the first time I played this. :P
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Mr. Payback » Tue May 06, 2008 2:01 am

Already did order the prima guide, I am just impatient and afraid that it'll only cover the PC version ;> Hard to beat $0.01 with $4 shipping, though!

Still, Oscar Drexler died before I could even talk to him and the psionic died before joining my party, so I never got the 'psionic ability' item. Reloading an old save, I found out that if I throw a beer bottle at the TV set BEFORE even talking to the guy, I can save him, though this makes no sense in terms of the context of the storyline and is really pretty funny if you think about it - just waltzing into a bar and breaking a TV for no reason.

I have yet to come across a head, but I am intrigued :o

Do you know if it's possible for this game to screw you over and make it unfinishable if certain events transpire? This came out right around the time that game developers stopped doing that.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue May 06, 2008 11:22 pm

oooooh the killings. I thought you meant something like getting killed by a demon. Uh yeah you gotta be careful of the assassinations. If I remember correctly you can finish without talking to Oscar Drexler, that was the old inventor guy correct? He died on me the first time I played. Went to his place and he was already dead but I still finished the game.

The IS one of those games where you can get screwed up and never be able to finish the game. That's why I say avoid the head. You'll know what I mean when you get to it. You can pick it up and finish but the chances are if you do you will pick it up too early and since you can't put it down you won't be able to let important characters join you. (it's funny as the head will talk randomly... you'll be trying to figure something out and then a crude remark will come outta nowhere)

You can't finish the game without Splits Magnola(psionic), the League and the Menials play an important part of the game. This game has a great story so I suggest using the guide only when you are totally stuck. Yeah I know some of the puzzles are hard as hell (pun intended) but there is a quick guide called the Condensed Briefing in the back that can help you but won't give away too much of the story. This really is one of my favorite games for this system.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue May 06, 2008 11:28 pm

oh forgot to mention, the Prima guide is for the PC & Mac versions but I have never had a problem using it with the 3DO version.

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Mr. Payback » Thu May 08, 2008 4:59 am

Just paged through the prima guide and it still wants me to talk to Sanguinarius. It says to pick up all the weapons in the preceding room and then to talk to Sanguinarius and supposedly I'll smite him or something.

Instead, he says something like:

Sanguinarius: 'Humans with guns? Ask [some guy] what good guns did for him.'

Rachael: 'We don't scare so easy.'

Sanguinarius: 'No, but I bet you die real good.'

The conversation ends, I appear back at the walking-around screen, and then immediately I'm whisked away to a cutscene of him eviscerating me. I really don't think I missed a particular gun back in the last screen - I'm hitting the 'lock on to items' button and it points me at the center of the gun rack, but there's nothing there anymore. My TV does seem to clip off the edges of the screen, but I think I already grabbed the stuff that was hidden off the left side. Am I missing something here or should I just start over? Maybe I should try playing as Rachael this time?

Also, does time pass on the 3DO version when you're just standing around talking to people? It seems like the number of days increases only after I clear certain important events.

Also also, the prima guide wants me to go to New Corporeal Biologics way before I even find out where it is. I was kinda wondering about that, too.

Also also also, what are some of the bugs I'm hearing about with this game? Or am I experiencing every single one of them in order, here?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu May 08, 2008 5:46 am

have you tried the walkthough in the 3DO game secrets book 2?

it mentions several bugs but not what are are
they say some are merely annoying and some crash the system
i havent read it though so maybe during the walkthough they mention where the bugs could be

my scanner isnt working right now or i would scan the pages for you
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Mr. Payback » Thu May 08, 2008 7:10 am

I don't know where I could get a copy of the 3DO game secrets books :o

I restarted my game as rachael instead and following the walkthrough to the letter got me past sanguinarius this time. On my old save, I had first refused the trip to hell and I think I put one of the guns down and then picked it back up. Don't know why that worked, but apparently it did.

Neither the online walkthrough nor the prima one mention any of the bugs, though the prima guide has a lot of extra backstory on the game and even explains to you how Cynna Stone died before the game begins.

But yeah, when you get your scanner working I'd really appreciate some scans. :> Or if you could just point me in the direction of another place I could get the books.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu May 08, 2008 8:36 pm

it says i cant scan because another program is using it, and the printer part has an error on the display constantly even after new ink was put in
so i think im done messing with that damn printer/scanner by now :)

but i took some pictures for you, the size is 2560x1920 ish so you can zoom in to see the text

16mb
http://rapidshare.com/files/113513867/3 ... L_pics.rar

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Mr. Payback » Thu May 08, 2008 9:46 pm

I gotta say, when I first signed up here to ask a question I didn't expect any response. I'm really surprised that a niche forum such as this has such a helpful bunch of guys on it :D

Thanks a lot, I'll check out this rar as soon as rapidshare lets me have it!

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Mr. Payback » Thu May 08, 2008 10:17 pm

Okay, reading through that, I thiiink that explains why the psionic got shot before I could do anything, but I'm pretty sure I talked to the bounty hunter first (like it tells you to do) anyway.

Didn't know about the description bug in hell, I'll have to try that out.

And they don't explain why you shouldn't take Beautiful's head in that guide, but you guys did earlier.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri May 09, 2008 4:32 am

Mr. Payback wrote:I gotta say, when I first signed up here to ask a question I didn't expect any response. I'm really surprised that a niche forum such as this has such a helpful bunch of guys on it :D

Thanks a lot
your welcome, this place might look dead at times but when we check it we will help out anyone :)

alot of the people here are hardcore 3do collectors/gamers. we probably have almost everything ever released for the 3do no matter how odd/small :D

you can see mine here as well as all my other systems 8)
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... id=1682505

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Fri May 09, 2008 6:11 am

I have something to confess.
I have a shiny copy of the game, but never played 'til the end.
After reading this thread, I will to do it :wink:
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Mr. Payback » Sat May 10, 2008 12:34 am

Man, that ending was shorter than most of the conversations you have ;<

Spoilers:
Also, what a bummer - why not use resurrections, inc. at the end? It's not like you don't have the money.

I could never get the Solux races to show up at the horse races, but since there's only two things in the entire game that you have to buy - and one of them is optional and only unlocks the races in the first place - it seems pretty pointless.

After I beat it I went through debug mode to watch all the videos - I didn't die on most of the boss fights, so I went back through and watched em - and christ, dying on Satan or the green guy is gory as hell!

I tested out picking up Beautiful's head and then re-recruiting the jury-rigger and it let me do it. Also, the Prima guide tells you to pick up beautiful's head but never explains why. Some of you mentioned extra lines of dialog if you cart that thing around, but that you can't recruit people - it would seem the latter isn't the case, but when does Beautiful generally have something to say?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat May 10, 2008 3:24 am

sorry I was gone for a while. glad to see you finished it. I was never able to recruit others with his head the first time I played... maybe that is one of the bugs. Anyway his phrases are random, sometimes he won't say anything for a long time and sometimes he just starts spitting them out. As for the time, the clock is always ticking. I actually made a Game Guru code to set the clock back to day one. Well now that you have finished the game, it's time to hunt down the novel. It's good. :D

ISBN: 0-7615-0069-3
by: Chet Williamson

PS. love your avatar

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Mr. Payback » Sat May 10, 2008 9:28 pm

My biggest problem with games like Hell is that they punish you severely for not using a walkthrough - do ANYTHING out of order and the game might become unplayable, explore too much or talk to too many NPCs to figure out puzzles and you'll run out of time (before you even know you CAN run out of time), die and be subjected to three hours of cutscenes and opening cinematics (skipping all of them still takes time ;<).

Zak & Wiki did the same thing to me. Hell became really boring after I had to follow a guide to beat it :<

Oh and thx on the avatar - I think that one Phreakbeat's the coolest-looking NPC in the game, and I had to use no fewer than 5 programs to put that image together and get it on the web ;< Also the fact that this forum has a 10kb limit on avatars didn't help matters ;<