Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Two versions of NFS?

Post by 3DOKid » Fri May 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Some guy just emailed me? Anyone know?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi pal.

I'm sending this message because I'm trying to locate a extremely rare japanese 3DO game. I don't remember the name, actually, but I'm pretty sure it was The Need For Speed: Skyline Anniversary or something.

It was a special version released only in Japan, only with Nissans Skylines, and the same road tracks as the usual 3DO TNFS.

Have you got any footage of this game at all?

Thanks in advance,
Burgarelli.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat May 31, 2008 9:30 pm

never heard of it and it's not in my collection. Never can tell what's in there LOL.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat May 31, 2008 10:17 pm

Nothing doing on google or gamefaqs... Over Drivin' is an interesting name for the NFS release there. But information can be spotty on stuff like that.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 am

HI

The title your are looking for is called "Nissan Over Drivin' GTR" And was released on the sega saturn, I think the 3DO version is just the Japanese version of N4S.

I own "Nissan Over Drivin' GTR" and can say that it is fun if you just wanna drive nissan cars with need for speed tracks. I guess it's rare, I bought mine kinda buy mistake on import. For some reason you can't flip you're car and the stacks arent quite as spectacular.

I know people here won't agree, but i think the saturn port of N4S is excellent, easily better then the psx release

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:21 am

I wouldn't have a hard time believing it. The Playstation version was the most famously broken version of NFS ever.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:58 am

It's a bit obnoxious for me to say I Know, when i don't. So I apologise ppl.

Anyway, I'm sure it's "Nissan Over Drivin GTR"

If you have a Saturn you can always do the swap trick :). I have no idea about the history of this title, whether it was a promo release or an official Japanese off the shelf release.

I can't confirm a 3do release of the same title but the name is pretty much the same without the Nissan part, So i think probably not

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:43 am

I don't think comparing one version favorably to another is annoying. People coming in saying "(Console A) rulez, (console B) sux!" is worthy of the banhammer, in my opinion, but sometimes a game gets ported with unfavorable results.

Hell, Sony's consoles are my favorites, but I said it myself: The PS1 port of the original NFS was nigh unplayable. I didn't give that game a chance for a long time before trying it on 3DO and saying "This is not the same game."

bburgarelli
SPAMMER

Post by bburgarelli » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:11 pm

Thanks guys!

That's exactly the game I was looking for!

I don't know about other versions aside from the 3DO, never knew anything about others consoles with the game as well.

I got the game as a mistake import, waaaaay back in the 90's, and I'm looking again for it.

Thanks again, I was looking for months...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Vance wrote:I don't think comparing one version favorably to another is annoying. People coming in saying "(Console A) rulez, (console B) sux!" is worthy of the banhammer, in my opinion, but sometimes a game gets ported with unfavorable results.

Hell, Sony's consoles are my favorites, but I said it myself: The PS1 port of the original NFS was nigh unplayable. I didn't give that game a chance for a long time before trying it on 3DO and saying "This is not the same game."
I came to it from the other. I loved NFS on the 3DO, and I believed it could only become even better if it were ported to the mighty PSX. :roll:

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:27 pm

I think the 3DO port of Casper illustrates my point nicely... designed on the Saturn and ported over, it looked and played great. Of course, the save file would get too big for the hard drive. I think they revised that, right?

And let's not even mention The Horde. I had the original version where saving the game would erase all other data on the 3DO's memory, and I bought it long after Crystal Dynamics stopped replacing discs. My buddy Mike and I would play marathon games to see if we could get through.