To all Americans.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

To all Americans.

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:15 pm

I maybe flying over your house tomorrow. :D As I fly over the Mid-West, down towards Texas. I think I go over Chicago too, and Boston, and Michigan.

Anyway, please feel free to wave at all British Airways aircraft as they pass over head. About 30,000 feet over head, so just wave at all aircraft ;) As, I can assure you, I will be waving back. :D :D :D

That is all.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:17 pm

How long will you be in the states?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:21 pm

i will keep my eye out for ya when you fly over michigan .. lol
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:50 pm

until a week on sunday!

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:00 pm

Boston/Michigan/Chicago is kind of a strange route to fly to Texas. Are you catching a connecting flight in O'Hare or something?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:20 pm

Whenever I think of Texas, I'm reminded of this clip ...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail34.html

Have fun on your trip! :)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:36 am

Come to NYC!

We'll get some beers and play Virtual Cameraman!
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm here!! Yeah!

Brazilian steak houses are amazing! Well, the one in Fort Worth was.

My goal for the week is to figure out American TV. I thought I was pretty advertising savvy, but I've been suckered twice into thinking an info-mercial was actually a real show. They conned me by using Priscilla Presley.

It's as hot as hell here too. (and all the insects are real noisy in the evening! What the hell is that about?)

Going to Circuit City today to buy computing 'stuff'. :) :)

Anyway, Thanks for waving guys. :D

...and Lemmi? A bit more vigour in your waving next time eh? :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:06 pm

I've been suckered twice into thinking an info-mercial was actually a real show.
They are sneaky 'son of a guns' Just ask any magic bullet owner. :lol:

I wish they'd do more videogame infomercials. The CD-I used to have a great infomercial (I wish someone would post it on youtube) Devin? Bas? You must know where to find it, no?

I hear the Jaguar had a notorious infomercial, but I've yet to see it ...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:21 pm

I saw the Jag info advert on a Jag videos CD that plays on the jaguar CD

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:35 pm

Was it is bad as I've heard?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:03 pm

3DOKid wrote:I'm here!! Yeah!

...and Lemmi? A bit more vigour in your waving next time eh? :)

heh you didnt see me giving you the finger? :lol:

my house would have looked like this from your plane
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/ ... tlined.jpg
:D

im still looking for that CD-i infomercial myself, the one i remember was about 30min long, i think i have a small one but it might be just a normal commercial or something and i probably got it off youtube

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:20 am

3DOKid wrote:My goal for the week is to figure out American TV.
Fox News and Jerry Springer that's all you need to know about American TV :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:50 am

...and no smut after midnight. I had high hopes for HBO. All dashed.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:07 am

3DOKid wrote:...and no smut after midnight. I had high hopes for HBO. All dashed.
oh man HBO isnt very good for smut

you need cinemax for that, its almost a guarantee they vow to show smut after midnight

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:14 pm

someone needs to tell Texans that 30miles away ISN'T close. :wink:

So, we had a corporate team building exercise yesterday! ( :roll: )

We went to the Texas Speedway for you NASCAR fans. It's was actually kind of cool. I got a couple of laps in something nearly like a NASCAR. As a passenger obviously. And we had a team building exercise of putting wheels on a car and stuff. Sort of struggled with that. I've fitted tyres to my own car lots of times and never needed a team, or considered it fun. Although the absence of rain and being on the side of the motorway did make it a little more enjoyable ;)

At another time, one of the German guys with us had to drive through a highway toll. Except the coin machine was broken. So he sat there and waited and waited and waited, But no one came. So he drove through. Then the Police came. he explained to the cop why he drove through without paying, the cop recognised he was German, turns out the cops grandmother was German, so instead of giving the German guy a ticket, the cop paid the toll and sent him on his way. :shock: (They never did that in CHiPs... ;) )

I may also never drink Tequila again. (After a slight over indulgence in the stuff last night ;) )

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:01 pm

Okay - I'm back!

God-Damn! America kicks ass :)

:)

Whether it's weird TV, Friendly cops, cheap prices, Bud light, guns, shopping malls or ...Cougars. (An Americanism that I learnt on 6th Street Austin, when I was assaulted by one ;) )

Dave & Busters? Awesome! Played Asteroids and Missile command the way the good lord intended. Then played Virtua Cop 3, Ferrari 355 and Ghost Squad before my colleagues wanted beer more than games!

We ditched (after a lot of whinging by me) the 7 seaters people carrier, for a Ford Mustang GT. Which was: Mega-amazing-awesome. Hammering down the Interstate in a car that deserved the long flat roads... ;)

:)

100 Degrees in Texas (WOW!)

Yarr! (I want to go back :) ) ah-well, back to grey old Europe! (Tex-mex food does wear thin after a while ;) )

I also made friends with the larger I.T. Security Asian community after I invited everyone to bet on when my boss would fall of his precariously positioned chair. He did it to himself sooo! For a "buck" you could win the pot! ($50)

So 3DOkid buddied up with the Chinese/Korean contingent, who while enthusiastic betting types, lacked discretion and nearly got me busted! The few American women who betted on my boss falling of his chair also cheated. Undoing blouse buttons and leaning forward. Tch! Tch! Still, the 'gaming community' of my company had great time! We were all drunk on Tequila and laughed so hard we cried!

Looking forward to going back in Christmas.

(I wish they would hold it in NY or LA :) )

Iron Draggon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Iron Draggon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 pm

3DO Kid, when you live in a state that's nearly 900 miles across in any direction you travel, 30 miles is reasonably close. That's only from Fort Worth to Dallas. You can do it by rail on the TRE in only an hour. That's only half the time it takes to travel from one side of Houston to the other!

Anyhow, I was born in Houston and I lived there for 40 years, till I moved to Fort Worth about a year ago. That was a 300 mile move, and I still travel that distance about every other month or so to visit my parents in Houston. And even that trip is still a reasonably close distance to travel!

So the next time you're here, remember there's lots of reasons why they say that everything's bigger in Texas, and one of them is because long distances are really short to us! What we call far away is actually leaving the state. And that's usually too far for any native Texan to stray away from home for too long, if you can even get us to leave Texas at all!

Anyway, I live within walking distance of downtown Fort Worth, so if you wanna hang out with one of the locals, who happens to be a fellow 3DO fan, let me know. I still haven't moved all my video game stuff up here yet, but I've been wanting to try that Brazilian steak house downtown! Glad to hear it's good, but would you say the prices were reasonable?
3DO: Trip's trippy trip Trip'd!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:40 am

Right, so, Land's End to John o' Groats is 600 miles. Which represents the longest journey you can take in the UK. Well, not quite but, as near as damn is to actually swearing. Using that scale, Texas is big. Myself and the German guy were shocked at the distances Texans seem to think is 'not far', but you should have seen the Maltese guy ;)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/mt.html

From a London/British point-of-view Texas isn't exactly over populated either. I'm always amazed how empty the place feels. And how many parking spots are always available. Even during busy periods! I'm sure if I lived there with a car, the novelty of finding a parking spot quickly would take a while to wear off!

The other thing is the noisy insects. They have them in Japan too. Creatures, insects, seem to start squeaking their backsides off in the middle of the night. It's spooky. In the U.K. nature is blissfully silent, and I'm fairly confident if it piped up like that here, it would fall victim to every cat in 100mile radius.

I do enjoy my trips to Texas twice a year. Texans are generally pretty chatty/friendly bunch - which is nice.

Our trips alternate between Austin and Dallas. So, I have a feeling I'm in Austin next time. Austin, to my mind, seems different to the rest of what I've seen of Texas. And Texas seems different to the rest of the USA. I hope that doesn't offend. Just a foreigners observation.

The 3Do seems popular in Texas too... A couple of chaps on here are from Texas. Proportional representationally speaking: that's an anomaly.

We always drive through La Grange. ZZ Top song! ;)

I'm also sorry to say, I have no idea how much the Brazilian restaurant was, it was expensed by one of the bosses! Food always seems pretty cheap in the U.S. mind you. As does petrol... but let's not go there (We pay $13USD a gallon ;) )

All the best, and welcome to the forum!

3DOKid.

Iron Draggon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Iron Draggon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Austin is somewhat more like California in many aspects than it is like Texas... but they want it like that... their motto is "keep Austin weird!"

The other nice thing about Austin is it's pretty much in the center of Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas/Fort Worth... so it's only a couple of hours away from the best of what the rest of the state has to offer.

My sister lives in Austin now. She moved there right before I moved to Fort Worth, but I haven't seen her since she moved. The last time I was in Austin was right before she moved there. I hope to visit her soon.

I wish we still had all the arcades that we had back in the 80's. Back then you never had to go very far to find a nice selection of arcade games to play. Now your best bet is to go to Dave & Buster's... but obviously you guys already figured that out... and got good and snockered there too!

P.S.: The noisy insects you're talking about are cicadas, and they drive us crazy too! I think their chirping is directly releated to the temperature. The hotter it gets, the louder they get, and you know it gets HOT here!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Oh yes. We found Dave and Busters. It is awesome. I wish they would bring something similiar to the U.K. Beer + Video games. All it needs is women with hotpants and I'll wheel my own coffin in! No point in leaving right?

What's all this "Don't Mess With Texas" shinanigans?

I miss UK arcades too. Dingy, dark, dank, smoke riddled places that had an air or electronics too them. All the big kids playing missile command. Brilliant. We can still get that here to a degree, but you need to go to the sea coast. Which for me is a couple of hours away by car. It's not the same as going to the local town.

Iron Draggon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Iron Draggon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:28 am

"Don't mess with Texas" began as an anti-litter campaign, but I think it's become something more like what "Don't tread on me" was. *SHRUGS*