Flash CD Drive to 3DO Console

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

DrKilljoy
3DO ZERO USER

Flash CD Drive to 3DO Console

Post by DrKilljoy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:53 am

First off, let me start by apologizing for not being a bit more active here. A few months ago, I found these forums and they helped me get my FZ-10 back up and running. After which, I said I would probably be more frequent here because of it, and I haven't. So, sorry...

Anyways, to the meat of the post. I've been wondering--and contimplating--if it was possible to take an ordinary computer CD drive (probably IDE interface) and somehow flash it's firmware to be recognized as the CD drive in a 3DO console.

I know it sounds complicated and iffy at best, but theoretically it should be possible. People do it all the time nowadays with Xbox 360's and DVD drives; of course, those consoles are as close as you can get to an actual computer. But still, there might be hope. Perhaps it can be done with that proprietary CD drive used with the 3DO Blaster. Perhaps I'm just chasing an impossible dream. I don't know.

What I do know is that if this were to become a reality, the first step would be to look through all the 3DO dev stuff (which is unfortunately in Russian for the most part).

Just a thought... :|

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:38 am

hold that thought. I think the guys over at Freedo are going to put their 3DO-2-IDE schematic online. I guess it was for harddrives but it might be adaptable to CDROM/DVDROMs.

...you're still going to need some software to read the HD/CD mind you...