Updated: Working 3DO and M2 SDKs within

Tools and projects
Mobius

Updated: Working 3DO and M2 SDKs within

Post by Mobius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:12 pm

This thread has changed focus. I solved the problem I was having, and have posted a download for an easy-to-use, instantly ready 3DO/M2 development environment. See a couple posts below...

=============

Hey all... As I've dug more into 3DO development the last couple of weeks, I've spent a lot more time exploring the SDK. I believe I've been working off of the Portfolio 2.5 and Toolkit 1.3 all this time, and would like to upgrade to Toolkit 1.5.

The problem is, I think the copy I have (and every copy that I can otherwise track down) is either corrupt, or contains individual parts that are in some format I don't understand.

I have a couple different copies of Toolkit 1.5 -- one ISO, one .HFV file -- and both have the same problem. When I extract them, a lot of the executable files contained there-in are 0 bytes long. All of the documentation and source code files seem to be okay, but binary executables are 0 bytes.

I'm particularly interested in getting working copies of the following files:

Install 3DOToolkit1.5
Pioneers/3DO PostPro/3DO PostPro
Pioneers/3DTools/OFI/OFI

So my question to you all is, do you have a copy of Toolkit 1.5 that you know for sure is good? If so, I would LOVE to get a copy.

Alternately, if there's something weird about Macs where I'm just doing something wrong, let me know.

The weird thing going on here is that I'm seeing the same problem with EVERY version of the Toolkit that I have (1.3, 1.4, 1.5), but I know for a fact that I have working versions of 1.3 already installed under Basilisk. So for the life of me, I can't figure out where those working versions came from, because I'm pretty sure I'm using the same .rar I originally found.

So yeah, any and all help would be appreciated!

As a side note, it's interesting how poorly documented the 3D capabilities of the 3DO are. All the 2D/sprite capabilities are EXTREMELY well documented in very usable, readable HTML docs. The 3D stuff is just a bunch of pretty random notes scattered around text and Word docs. On top of that, Toolkit 1.5 seems to be the first one that actually has tools for working with 3D models. AND Toolkit 1.5 has a completely rewritten 3D API. It seems like the 3D stuff was a total work-in-progress compared to the 2D stuff.

Also, did you know the 3DO uses quads instead of triangles for polygons? It didn't even occur to me before.
Last edited by Mobius on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Sheesh, I was up til like 2:30 last night trying to get this stuff figured out, then I spend an hour on it today and get it working.

I ended up needing a combination of a bunch of different things. I had an ISO of the Toolkit 1.5. I mounted that with Daemon Tools, but since it's Mac format, Windows doesn't recognize it. Then I installed MacDrive. That allowed me to read the mounted ISO. But that's where the filesizes are screwy. BUT, with MacDrive and Daemon Tools both running, I was able to run HFV_Explorer, and it immediately recognized the mounted drive as a Mac partition and read it all correctly.

From there, I was able to create a new .HFV file and copy the contents from the Mac partition to it. THAT copy was read correctly by Basilisk and now all is good.

Seriously, the SDK files that are floating around out there are pretty fubared. I think I will take the next few days (before my MacDrive trial ends) and get some clean HFV files for everyone that mount properly in Basilisk.

I'll do the same for the M2 SDK, too.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:33 am

I feel this urge to support you somehow - but I dont know how. :(
Hm, do you like cakes? ;)

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 am

Wow, great work indeed, thanks Mobius :D

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:04 am

I come bearing gifts... I have compiled a Basilisk II instance with all of the following:

3DO Portfolio 1.2 and Toolkit 1.3
3DO Portfolio 1.3
3DO Toolkit Update 1.3.1
3DO Toolkit 1.4
3DO Toolkit 1.5
3DO Portfolio 2.5
M2 SDK Release 3.0

All of these are clean and working, so no mucking around with fixing busted .hfv and .iso files. I did that dirty work for you. :)

3DO Portfolio 2.5 and Toolkit 1.5 are preinstalled on "HDD." The rest of the drives are copies of the original CD-ROMs, so you can explore or install other versions if you want.

Running this should be as simple as can be:

1. Extract the .rar
2. Run BasiliskIIGUI.exe
3. On the "General" tab, update the path for the preferences file (this should be the directory you extracted to)
4. On the "Memory" tab, update the path to the PERFORMA.ROM file (again, in the directory you extracted to)
5. Click Run
6. Read the README on the desktop

It may complain it can't access your CD drive. There are drivers in the "CD-ROM Drivers" directory.

Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3WNLLRBE

modo
3DO ZERO USER

Post by modo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:55 am

maybe you do something wrong, we are all working and we are free to create a program 3do. version of the toolkit 1.5 and portholio 2.5 fully working, there is a link to a minimum package The program of the established working version

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:07 am

modo wrote:maybe you do something wrong, we are all working and we are free to create a program 3do. version of the toolkit 1.5 and portholio 2.5 fully working, there is a link to a minimum package The program of the established working version
Hmm? Not sure I understand.

Yeah, these have been around for a while, but were not necessarily easy to get working. This download is for clean versions of everything that's currently available, and are already completely configured. It's a complete plug-and-play dev environment, basically.

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Thank you, Mobius! :)

k1ngarth3r
3DO ZERO USER

Post by k1ngarth3r » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Excellent, many thanks for sharing this after spending so much of your own time preparing it.
Most wanted:
3DO Magazine Issue 10 - 15

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Hats off to Mobius for taking the time to wrestle with this.

Mobius, I have some original disks for different versions of 3DO Portfolio and Toolkit lying around here somewhere. Do you have any desire to see these disks or are you set up fairly well now?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:17 am

Was there anything after Toolkit 1.5 and Portfolio 2.5? I'm guessing they might have been the last versions, but if there's anything newer, I'd love to see it. It looks like they were just starting to get the documentation of 3D stuff off the ground, so I'm hoping there's a later version with even more.

Other than that, I'd LOVE some of the asset CDs. I am not an artist. :(

On a side note, has anyone tried running the environment from the RAR I posted? Is it working okay?

Rincewind
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rincewind » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 am

I have played with it. I'm by no means any kind of developer and my programming skills are just a basic C++ if then else, for loops, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Some programs require a 'capture card', but portfolio, 3do animator works. The only thing lacking is photoshop :p because some of the files are tied with that.

And this is more of a personal note, since coming from PC environments rather than mac, I'm not quite used to just files with no real extensions.

-edit

Also played with the 3DO font-maker program too.
Sapient Pearwood?

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:11 am

Are the 3D functions better documented and explained within the
Toolkit V1.5, compared to the Toolkit V1.3?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:02 am

Jones wrote:Are the 3D functions better documented and explained within the
Toolkit V1.5, compared to the Toolkit V1.3?
Yes, but "better" being relative. It went from zero documentation in 1.3 (that I could find) to a series of mostly unedited text and Word documents in 1.5. There's nothing like the great HTML-based documentation for all the 2D stuff.