Homebrew game - Where's Derpy (Unofficial Port)

Tools and projects
blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Homebrew game - Where's Derpy (Unofficial Port)

Post by blabla » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 am

Hi everybody !
Today , i'm bringing a new homebrew game for 3DO !
Where's Derpy is originally a flash game made by pepperpunk.
I have decided to re-program it in C and now , you can download the game with 20 screens available!

The goal of the game is simple : Just find Derpy (the grey pony) and the three muffins on each screen.
But you can still win if you have only found Derpy.
A little demo is also included in the game...

Ports were also made for PS1 & N64.
You can compare all the ports on my website

Anyway , I hope you will enjoy it !

DOWNLOAD
3DO : Version 1.3

SCREENSHOTS
Last edited by blabla on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Homebrew game - Where's Derpy (Unofficial Port)

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:07 am

Sweet!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 am

:)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:12 am

Thanks everyone for your support !
A new version is available with 5 more screens !
Download : http://goo.gl/L5V0N

Enjoy it ! :D

Kyosho
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kyosho » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:35 am

Ahhhhhhh bronies nooooo! Kill it! Kill it with fiire!

On the other hand, more 3DO homebrew is always good. Good work.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Kyosho wrote:Ahhhhhhh bronies nooooo! Kill it! Kill it with fiire!

On the other hand, more 3DO homebrew is always good. Good work.
What are you talking about ? This game has not a single brony :lol:
Well i'm not a fan of the show but i do like the game that pepperpunk made.
And i appreciate your kind words , thanks.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:39 pm

I want to play this right now! But can't, prob will have to wait until Sunday. Looking good too. Oh and you might want to avoid writing "because it can't play backup" when you mention the Goldstar. It's a myth, they are just very picky about burnt discs.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:54 pm

A new update is available with 5 more screens + a little demo included.
Download it

You see the face below ? That's the demo.
Move the cursor over this face and press A.

Have fun !
3DO Experience wrote:Oh and you might want to avoid writing "because it can't play backup" when you mention the Goldstar. It's a myth, they are just very picky about burnt discs.
But i haven't seen a Goldstar (at least the first version) that plays burnt discs. That can be fixed right ?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:50 pm

blabla wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:Oh and you might want to avoid writing "because it can't play backup" when you mention the Goldstar. It's a myth, they are just very picky about burnt discs.
But i haven't seen a Goldstar (at least the first version) that plays burnt discs. That can be fixed right ?
3DOExp is correct, the Goldstar units do indeed play backups. But it can definitely be a hassle. In my own experience, burnt discs will sometimes take multiple attempts before they get read properly. Sometimes (depending on the speed, brand, etc ...) they won't read at all. But with patiences and practice it works.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Plus I know mine does as I used to have it as a dedicated Space Hulk box at one point with a copy that I made myself. I also remember seeing one on ebay long long ago with a folder full of games on CD-R. I believe I just tossed out copies of Space Hulk and Hell that worked on the Goldstar (I had a thing about not wanting to scratch discs even if I have multiples of the game.) but maybe I put them on top of something and didn't toss them....

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:27 pm

blabla wrote:A new update is available with 5 more screens + a little demo included.
Download it
I've downloaded it. Now what? Just extract the files, burn them to CD, and pop it in my FZ-1? (Sorry for the stupid question but I'm new to this and don't want to risk screwing something up.)

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Martin III wrote:
blabla wrote:A new update is available with 5 more screens + a little demo included.
Download it
I've downloaded it. Now what? Just extract the files, burn them to CD, and pop it in my FZ-1? (Sorry for the stupid question but I'm new to this and don't want to risk screwing something up.)
If you have a FZ-1 then it should be fine.
Extract the files , burn the iso file to the CD with a software like Imgburn.
Burn it at a speed of 2x and if you cannot burn at that speed , burn it at the lowest speed.
Once it is done , pop it in your FZ-1 and now you can play my game just like any 3DO commercial game !

The final version of the game will come in 2/3 days , here's what i'm planning :
- Music ! (Currently only at the menu screen)
- 5 more screens !

Sorry guys if i'm a bit late , i was working on the N64 port and it was not easy at all...
(Programming for the 3DO is a breeze compared to this , hehe)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:48 am

Well good. I never got to my 3DO(s) do I'll wait for the final version to burn.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm

The final version is now available !
http://goo.gl/YoFidf

What's new :
- There's now music at the titlescreen. (I was not able to use it in-game because the spooler use almost 100% of the CPU !)
- 5 more screens , this final version has 20 screens instead of 15.
- The graphics are a bit improved.

Hope you'll enjoy it !

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Just played this, it isn't as easy as one would think. I did put it on the poor looking bedroom TV so I'd probably have a better chance on a nice TV set. The game is like Where's Waldo with a timer and ponys. The last frame was a shot from Return Fire, I don't know if Derpy was in there but I couldn't find him.

Oh and that little bonus, hilarious!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 am

Maybe this will help with burnt CDs. My Jaguar, especially in the winter has trouble reading some burnt discs 'cold'. Which means I gotta put in a regular Atari release first and let it boot in the CD player and read for a few minutes. Then I can pop in a burnt CD and it will read it fine. My best guess is the laser head warms up or something?

Try this with 3do burnt discs and see if that helps. Put in an official release first and let it read it for a minute or two for a warm up then put in the burnt/backup copy. See if it helps.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:25 pm

a31chris wrote:Maybe this will help with burnt CDs. My Jaguar, especially in the winter has trouble reading some burnt discs 'cold'. Which means I gotta put in a regular Atari release first and let it boot in the CD player and read for a few minutes. Then I can pop in a burnt CD and it will read it fine. My best guess is the laser head warms up or something?

Try this with 3do burnt discs and see if that helps. Put in an official release first and let it read it for a minute or two for a warm up then put in the burnt/backup copy. See if it helps.
It does actually, I've used that method before. :)

EDIT - Hey the I can quote and use emoticons now! :D

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Trev wrote:
a31chris wrote:Maybe this will help with burnt CDs. My Jaguar, especially in the winter has trouble reading some burnt discs 'cold'. Which means I gotta put in a regular Atari release first and let it boot in the CD player and read for a few minutes. Then I can pop in a burnt CD and it will read it fine. My best guess is the laser head warms up or something?

It does actually, I've used that method before. :)
Yep, my old FZ-1 used to behave in exactly that way. Put a (very clean, high-quality media) burn in it straightaway, and it won't even boot it. Play a regular pressed disc for 10 minutes first, and then it can read burns like a charm. Something's warming up, who knows what though!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Any chance for a Jaguar port? :D
blabla wrote:
Martin III wrote:
Download it
If you have a FZ-1 then it should be fine.
Extract the files , burn the iso file to the CD with a software like Imgburn.
Burn it at a speed of 2x and if you cannot burn at that speed , burn it at the lowest speed.
Once it is done , pop it in your FZ-1 and now you can play my game just like any 3DO commercial game !

The final version of the game will come in 2/3 days , here's what i'm planning :
- Music ! (Currently only at the menu screen)
- 5 more screens !

Sorry guys if i'm a bit late , i was working on the N64 port and it was not easy at all...
(Programming for the 3DO is a breeze compared to this , hehe)
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Just what the Jaguar needs. My Little pony!

To the maker of the game, this in no way reflects a negative thing about you making a game, I just hate MLP. My Son is one of those Bronies and it drives me up the wall.
a31chris wrote:Any chance for a Jaguar port? :D
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Shush now. What the Jaguar needs is more potential developers. Along with the 3DO of course.
Darques_Pandemonium wrote:Just what the Jaguar needs. My Little pony!

To the maker of the game, this in no way reflects a negative thing about you making a game, I just hate MLP. My Son is one of those Bronies and it drives me up the wall.
a31chris wrote:Any chance for a Jaguar port? :D

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:58 pm

a31chris wrote:Shush now. What the Jaguar needs is more potential developers. Along with the 3DO of course.
Fixing these quotes, by the way. I see that. Like I said, this has nothing to do with the game itself, I am just not a huge fan of the subject matter. I am happy to see that a new game, or games, as it were, have been released for the 3DO. You want Ponies on your Jaguar, be my guest. :wink: All I know is that when my Son saw screen shots of this game, he squealed like a little girl. This is an almost 16 year old boy. If that isn't weird, I don't know what else is.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!